Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to buy

Options
  • 02-06-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm looking to spend around four grand on my first car. Been driving my mams Golf for 5 years and I think its time I got my act together! I'm thinking something big and comfortable and preferably nice looking. I dont particularly care how old it is but don't want to spend a fortune on constant repairs.

I'm considering VW passat (2001 to get the facelift model, and prob 1.6 for the cheap tax and insurance although if I got a 1.9tdi for the right price I'd take it). Im also looking at old A6s. Prob 1998 for the money Im talking and 1.8 petrol with over a 100k miles which is a big concern for me. Should I be worried about reliability here? I'd like the diesel but they're a touch too dear.
    And talking reliability its hard to ignore the Alfa 156. They look such good value for money. Are they really as bad as everyone says????
    Other suggestions? Loads of Mondeos out there too...

Any input appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The best advice is to get out there and start test-driving, see what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Yea thats definitely the plan Anna but I'd like some opinions on the cars that I mentioned maybe.

Advertisement