Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone to do a little Linux project?

Options
  • 02-06-2009 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

I've got a little Linux project needs doing, as follows:

For a touchscreen PC, I'd need the development of a CD which will:

1. Install Linux (whatever version you think is appropriate)
    2. Install the touchscreen drivers
    3. Install VLC audio player
    4. Install whatever needs to be installed such that the PC connects to the internet and goes to a predetermined webpage on startup which it displays fullscreen
    5. And if the internet isn't available at startup or fails at any time, another, internally-stored webpage is displayed. (This webpage has links to local locations of audio for playing)

The HTML pages will be provided. I have one of the PCs here for testing.

Anyone in Waterford/ South-east interested in doing this?

Thanks

Andy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Please keep us posted on how this goes.
    I am interested to hear about what hardware and drivers get used for the touchscreen. I guess the hardware will be determined by the working environment to an extent ..... interesting project ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

tslib is good. Not exactly a driver, but an abstraction layer. I used it in my Linux project.

I take it this project is a kiosk.

Quick google: http://kiosk.mozdev.org/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Are you looking to pay someone to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭corkie

Khannie wrote: »
    Are you looking to pay someone to do this?

To OP moderator about to slap you on the wrist :p

No advertising for work/jobs on boards.ie forums.

Use adverts.ie or there was a new irish site launch recently that your project might get a better response from.

Interesting project sound like your setting up some kiosk's somewhere?

Many kiosk distro's available, it's the touch-screen drivers that you might run in too difficulty with depending on the hardware etc.

Hope you research the hardware first/ linux drivers first before investing in the machines?

Regards,
    J.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Have the hardware already, and Touchkit have drivers for the touchscreen for Linux.

I've also installed Suse on it, works fine. But I don't know enough about Linux to get any further. I could do this in Windows in an act!

But I'd prefer to use Linux for reliability, speed of boot-up etc.

Please PM me with any points which might transgress site rules!

Thanks

Andy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

corkie wrote: »
    To OP moderator about to slap you on the wrist :p

Not me! :) I don't mod this forum. I think it's a small and quiet enough forum that you could probably pimp for unix geeks in here without getting in trouble.

Advertisement