Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats the law requiring an independent brake on a trailer?

Options
  • 02-06-2009 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the law on trailer brakes? are they required on all twin axle trailers, horse boxes etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

To my knowledge (not necessarily correct) anything above 750 kg gross weight has to have brakes, regardles of the number of axles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

peasant wrote: »
    To my knowledge (not necessarily correct) anything above 750 kg gross weight has to have brakes, regardles of the number of axles.
    I would presume that would cover an average size car on a transporter trailer,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Indeed it would.
    Average car on trailer would be around 1.5 tons. Towing that withour brakes on the trailer is a bit lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Leman-Russ

Brakes are required if the trailer is over 750kg or if the trailer weight more than 75% of the towing vehicle hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭bop1977

750kg or half the laden weight of the towing vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

But what is the max weight that can be towed if the trailer is braked?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd imagine that's governed by the car doing the towing?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If the trailer is over 750kg (e.g. laden carporter) it needs both brakes and an EB driving license (assuming towing vehicle is a car) for the operator. Otherwise its the same as driving without a valid legal license, which is Most Very Ungood :eek:

Weight of trailer for EB is a real gray area; I've never seen a hard-and-fast limit myself. Even a heavy-duty diesel isn't going to be able to pull anything close to EC1 levels (which has a max of 12000kg, and other conditions) so its probably just like Anan1 said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Thanks Guys,

I found this since. It says that the towed weight (braked) must not exceed the weight of the car itself.:)

"To tow a caravan/trailer the weight of any caravan/trailer equipped with over-run brakes must not exceed maximum weight of towing vehicle"

http://www.aaireland.ie/infodesk/motoring_europe/speed_limits_notes.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Solitaire wrote: »
    If the trailer is over 750kg (e.g. laden carporter) it needs both brakes and an EB driving license (assuming towing vehicle is a car) for the operator. Otherwise its the same as driving without a valid legal license, which is Most Very Ungood :eek:
    This always causes confusion, you can tow a trailer >750 kg d.g.v.w (design gross vehicle weight) with a B licence if the d.g.v.w of the combination is <3500 kg and the d.g.v.w of the trailer is less than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.

If the trailer d.g.v.w is <750 kg, a driver with a B licence can drive a combination of up to 4250 d.g.v.w once the towing vehicle is in Category B.

• Advertisement
Advertisement