Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uniforms during the exams

Options
  • 02-06-2009 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Our school let's us wear our normal clothes during the exams and I personally think that it can be a big help to be comfortably during the exams.

I was wondering what other schools were doing?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

As I said in the tips thread, our school can wear whichever they want (uni or not) some people want the working ethos. Others argue that a simple white shirt is actually quite a logical thing to wear.

I will be going for loose fitting light clothing. Comfortable and probably something with big pockets. Cants are top of the list. Any variety of flowery beach swimming shorts come second, just for the advent of colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

We're forced to wear them. Says if we come in without it twice, we'll be sent home to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    We're forced to wear them. Says if we come in without it twice, we'll be sent home to change.

I've said it on another thread on here, but I can't see how they're allow to do that, wear in your normal clothes if they send you hope take the matter up with the SEC.;) Obviously if you feel you can work better not in uniform go that way, but personnally I'd do it out of principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

We've been strictly told we have to wear our uniforms. We can't even wear comfy shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Not this thread again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

We've been strictly told we have to wear our uniforms. We can't even wear comfy shoes!

If you're not happy with this and feel you would work better wearing your own clothes and shoes contact the SEC (090-6442791, 090-6442792, 090-6442793) and see what they have to say. Schools can't force you to wear them during State exams afaik and they can't stop you from doing the exams only the State can afaik.;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The school can't stop you doing the exam, but they can stop you sitting it in their building if you do not follow their rules.

The schools are doing the SEC a favour allowing the SEC's exams to be run in their buildings.

Not wearing a uniform to prove a point and risk being denied entry to the exam centre would be quite childish. If the uniform is that big a deal for you, apply to sit the exam elsewhere, but do it very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Exam time should not be considered school time.
    You should be able to wear what you want and feel totally relaxed.
    It will change eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

We have to wear our uniforms though I have a feeling there'll be no jumpers or ties being worn what with the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Uniforms, and no aertex shirts allowed either.

The shirts are quite see-through aswell, so most girls feel uncomfortable taking them off.

Not me though, if it helps me keep cool I couldn't care less!

With this weather it's going to be horrible and I still maintain that we should be allowed wear our own clothes.
    (Also OP there's a fairly recent thread on this somewhere where you can see people's opinions)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

We've to wear our uniform.
    Yay, black polyester in this heat.
    Seriously, why would they make our uniform completely black?!
    Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭techdiver

spurious wrote: »
    The school can't stop you doing the exam, but they can stop you sitting it in their building if you do not follow their rules.

The schools are doing the SEC a favour allowing the SEC's exams to be run in their buildings.

Once again proves that some educators in this country have no interest in the students they are paid to teach. Insisting on them wearing uncomfortable overly warm clothing during exams just furthers the point that they focus on the minor bull**** details and can't see the bigger picture.
    Not wearing a uniform to prove a point and risk being denied entry to the exam centre would be quite childish. If the uniform is that big a deal for you, apply to sit the exam elsewhere, but do it very quickly.

In fact, not permitting some one to do an exam because they do not want to wear a a particular garment is childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

We have to wear our uniforms (same rule for no make up or runners) but to be honest I don't care at all. It makes no difference to me. I mean how does what your wearing change how you do in an exam? I've done music exams in uniform and in everyday clothes, and there has never been a difference.

I know I'll be roasting in my navy and blue wool uniform but seriously I'm pretty sure I'll be roasting in anything, with this sort of weather.

If truth be told, I almost prefer the uniform, I won't have to worry about what to wear, or cleaning all my light summery clothes again and again.

:cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

techdiver wrote: »
    In fact, not permitting some one to do an exam because they do not want to wear a a particular garment is childish.

Nobody is stopping anyone doing an exam, just doing it in their centre.
    It's fairly clear. If you don't want to abide by your school's rules, don't sit the exam there.

I would have thought there are far more important issues for most LC students over the next couple of weeks than some pointless battle with authority over the uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mick_Grif

We dont have to wear ours, I think it would be horrible to have to sit the exams in uniform especially in a day like today and yesterday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭techdiver

Nobody is stopping anyone doing an exam, just doing it in their centre.
    It's fairly clear. If you don't want to abide by your school's rules, don't sit the exam there.

I would have thought there are far more important issues for most LC students over the next couple of weeks than some pointless battle with authority over the uniform.

A uniform for males typically consisted of a shirt, tie and jumper. In weather like we are currently experiencing that is not appropriate. It is 10 years since I was in school, but we had at least one teacher who insisted we wear the full uniform regardless of the weather conditions! That is complete rubbish and is bordering on abusive behaviour.

But no doubt how some one looks is far more important than their comfort whilst doing the single most important exam of their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Being made to wear your uniform is easily prevented: Get on to everyone in the year and all arrange not to wear the uniform and wear your own clothes instead. They're not going to stop a whole year or even more than 20 or 30 students from sitting the exam.

I'll be 3/4 lengths and a long sleeve t-shirt (left handed - smudging - arrrggghhhh!)

Advertisement