Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes not coming out of tumble dryer smelling fresh

Options
  • 01-06-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭

I dunno if anyone has experienced this before. At the moment, clothes are not coming out of my tumble dyer smelling very fresh. There's an ever so slight hint of dampness, although the clothes themselves are dry.

Just to let you know that I clean the lint filter every time I use the dryer.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm no expert, but do you think this could be happening in the washing machine? It can leave clothes with that type of smell if the filter's blocked - and drying them in the dryer wouldn't remove it.
    I don't think there's anything in a normal dryer that would give clothes a smell, but if yours is a condenser dryer maybe water is going stale in it somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks for that. I don't think that it's the washing machine though (although I will check it out) because I don't tumble dry some clothes and they smell fine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Dizzyblonde is spot on there, as if the washing machine isn't draining water properly the smell could exist before you put them in the dryer. The only other thing could be the long term filter that has to be cleaned every month or two, but i think this is only wih a condenser dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

dudara wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I don't think that it's the washing machine though (although I will check it out) because I don't tumble dry some clothes and they smell fine.

It could be that the tumble dryer is bringing out the smell in the clothes from the washing machine. You might be able to get a service under a guarantee?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

dudara, sometimes the tumble dryer will dry a smell into clothes that would otherwise dissipate in fresh air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 laura27314

I was having problems like that too, it was because I had switched to washing and drying on very cool temps. I sorted it by making sure everything was bone dry before putting it into the washing machine, by cleaning my washing machine by adding a cup of vinegar to an empty wash more often, and my leaving the door open so it can fully dry out everytime I won't be using it for a few days. I only tumble dry towels and I started adding a tbsp of bleach to the prewash cycle, and washed on 60, not 30, and tumble dried on medium. I also was using a Tesco own brand detergent last year which made all my clothes smell bad.

Laura

Laura, you just reminded me - last year I was using liquid detergent in my washing machine and it made the machine very smelly and slimy. It made the clothes smelly too - it's to do with liquid detergents not having bleaching agents, or something like that. Once I went back to powder it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Some great tips and ideas there. Thanks so much everyone. I use a communal washing room, so although I'm careful with the machines, not everyone else is. I'll definitely try the vinegar to clean out the machine.

Advertisement