Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeating, possibility or hell no?

Options
  • 01-06-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

because the stupid exams are soo close, iv been thinking alot about repeating, so that i wont be too disapppointed if i dont get my course. il be half expecting to go back anyways!

what do you guys think?
    and, do you know if you can still do sns? i always thought you could but i wasd told not so long ago that you cant take it up to repeat, which is crapp! and, would it be really hard to try pick up the english course??

lets hope i wont have to repeat, but i wanna keep the option open x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

I'd hate myself if I had to repeat, considering I only need 230 points.

Still though, I'd repeat if it meant the difference between working in Mc Donalds for the rest of my life and doing yet another year of this hell hole to hold a degree to my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hmm your dicing with college fees right there.

The bonus if you repeat is that so long as you pass all your core subjects you no longer need to do them.

Taking up 6 options should be piss. I took up religion 8 days before the mock and got an A2. (81 on the actual paper, but tied to 100% on the coursework)

Don't repeat English. King Lear is a bitch of a play, new poets are all uncool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Shmee

haha oh no way. me and 6th year didnt get on well. . . i used to be happy! if i did so bad in the leavin that id need to repeat, i'd go work for my uncle in New York instead of going back.
    Good social buzz in scool nd all that .... but the education, nah:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

errlloyd wrote: »

The bonus if you repeat is that so long as you pass all your core subjects you no longer need to do them.

Taking up 6 options should be piss. I took up religion 8 days before the mock and got an A2. (81 on the actual paper, but tied to 100% on the coursework)

How is it even possible to get 81% on something you picked up in 8 days?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

yeah the fees are the bit that im worried about.. considering my dad will have 3 sets of fees to pay + everything that comes with it!

:eek: you dont have to repeat core subjects?? i never knew that...!
    well done on the religion result btw :D
    hmm.. i hope i wont have to consider repeating.. my course is 355 but need 400's to get course in first round, otherwise i loose my accomodation!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Frankly I cant see myself not getting the points I need for the course I want to do. (I only need 300 points. I got 420 points in my Mocks.)

However if something does go terribly wrong repeating is a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

THe fees are on people going into college in 09 doesnt it?

Christina if you're going for 400 you should still have enough time to get it.

How many honours are you doing ?

Maybe in some subjects stop aiming for A's. If you need to sacrifice points by not spending a lot of time in a particularly hard part of the course, than do.

Christina if you're going for 400 you should still have enough time to get it.

How many honours are you doing ?

Maybe in some subjects stop aiming for A's. If you need to sacrifice points by not spending a lot of time in a particularly hard part of the course, than do.

yeah your probs right! thanks =)
    im doing 5 honours (pass math and irish)
    i got 400 in the mocks, but they were easy papers (if anybody got my english and math papers theyl know what im talking about) so everybodys like "your gonna get your points" which makes me worry more because theyr expecting me to!:p ahh stupid leaving cert!

Swizz wrote: »
    THe fees are on people going into college in 09 doesnt it?

Huh?
    were going to college in 09 :pac:

• Advertisement

It doesn't sound like its too much an issue for you. But if it is.

Maybe concentrate on what you're sure about.

For example learn your cultural context and theme and issue essays really well. You're sure one will be on and they are quick and easy marks. Learn one of the 4 likely poets really well and just skim the rest, its a gamble, but it could pay big time if your short on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Huh?
    were going to college in 09 :pac:

Yeah and people are implying you wont have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Beau x1 wrote: »
    I'd hate myself if I had to repeat, considering I only need 230 points.

What course are you going for?

Also FEES, stop speculating now basically. Nobody knows for sure yet. We will not have fees next year (A reg fee of €1500 though) the year after though? Nothing is for certain.

yeahh its an issue, iv a twin to compete with :pac:

yeah ok thanks:) i'l do that!
    good luck with everything :D x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

unless you want to do medicine (i think)

Fad wrote: »
    What course are you going for?

Also FEES, stop speculating now basically. Nobody knows for sure yet. We will not have fees next year (A reg fee of €1500 though) the year after though? Nothing is for certain.
    Computer Science, DIT.

Was gonna go for Computer Science w/ Arts in UCD (300 Points)..dunno if I want to do it so much now though.

My uncle in IBM tells me that DCU is the place to be for Computer Science, but UCD and DIT are good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

No way would I repeat. Realistically I'm not going to get below 3-400 points so I should at least get 1 of my courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Okay it's very likely I'm going to repeat because I probably won't get over 300 points :o

DCU do Computer Applications but afaik the course is outdated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Beau x1 wrote: »
    DCU do Computer Applications but afaik the course is outdated?

Also DCU?

Serious trek!

Nah (Not the only reason!) DCU was great for hands on stuff like that because they had the whole placement system, but its nigh on impossible to get a placement in the first place now, so its not so great.

Also, I have never met someone who's actually happy with student life in DCU!

Lol true, I bailed on computer's when I realised law or politics was more of a passion even if computers was a more reliable profession, so I never looked into it. I was also descouraged by the absolute trek to DCU

And the Ballymunners. I don't think they'd "like the look of me".

not to mention the rest of your life!

I'm repeating my Leaving Cert. this year. Deciding to repeat was possibly one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Aye, I'm sure this time around you're feeling pretty good you did. You'll nail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'd only repeat if I got none of my level 8s on my CAO, which I doubt will happen. I *think* the lowest course I have on there is about 350 and seeing as I'm trying to get at many points as possible for medicine I'll probably get over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

I don't know to be honest.

I mean I'd absolutely hate to repeat as I watch all my friends progress and it's another year of life taken over by this damn exam.

On the other hand, if I didn't get my points for the course I really want to do and end up doing something I wasn't passionate about, I'm dicing with a/ a course I don't like and b/ the chance of repeating and incurring fees.

I'll have to consider it after the points come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Fad wrote: »

In fairness Fad, nobody know what the Government will do. They could bring them all in next year, they might delay, or they mightn't come in at all. Especially with it being FF, the third worst party to have ever existed in the history of the world, it's impossible to call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

I'm repeating. All depends on the course you end up getting offered. If you really don't want it you'd be a fool not to repeat.

Advertisement