Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extensive traffic counting in Limerick, elsewhere too? Annual count?

Options
  • 01-06-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

Just a note that there has been extensive traffic counting underway throughout Limerick and on the approach roads (both N and R). Just wondering if this is a nationwide job? Is it simply annual traffic counting? Or is it some specific project in Limerick to figure out traffic/signage arrangements post-tunnel?

There are counter wires on urban roads as well as back roads such as the R526 and main roads such as the N20, N69. I haven't seen such an extensive survey in some time. The previous large one I recollect was in 2000 or so and associated with SRR phase 1/Childers Road upgrade/Parkway-Groody, and involving manual counts at junctions.

The survey seems to be being carried out by some UK contractor.

Does anyone have any further information?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Zoney wrote: »

The survey seems to be being carried out by some UK contractor.

Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I had to do a u turn over one the other day. It was more a 5 point turn. Might have skewed the results!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There were wires on the N20 in Cork county too, at least 2 sets, and some more in Clare on the n18, last Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

It's part of MWASP.

Loops down on the N7 east of Nenagh, south and north of Thurles on the N62 and on the N28 to Carrigaline/Ringaskiddy.

Count-on-Us appear to be doing most of the data-collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Some sort of traffic camera has been spotted at a few different locations in Galway recently. Not sure if it was counting traffic, monitoring it or what..

Haven't spotted any temporary traffic counters (the ones with wires) around the place though.

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjMuanBn.jpg

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjIuanBn.jpg

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjUuanBn.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Counters also appeared on the Dublin end of the Chapelizod bypass (N4) (the Con Colbert road) over the weekend.
    Why count now as the schools and universities start to drop off for the holidays ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Those pictures would suggest that the surveys are being carried out by NDC and not CoU.

As a matter of fact, Abacus, Count on Us and NDC all have Irish offices here. Athlone mostly but NDC have one in Dublin. I dont know if CoU use their Blessington Street office anymore.

Sky High are the only traffic survey contractor that does work over here without an office here but one is in the pipeline I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

rgfuller wrote: »
    Why count now as the schools and universities start to drop off for the holidays ?

Traffic counts can be adjusted by use of a Seasonality Index. This has been deduced from observations made over a long period of time to relate traffic from one month to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

Last week there were a number of camera at the bottom of Dawson street in Dublin. Think it was about 6 monitoring the one junction which seemed like a lot to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Traffic counts can be adjusted by use of a Seasonality Index. This has been deduced from observations made over a long period of time to relate traffic from one month to another.

How many of those observations were during serious recessions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It's all about peak traffic, I'd imagine. Bank holiday weekends and special events are a type of peak, quite different from commuter peaks, for the obvious reason that destinations are different. I'd say they're trying to get a handle on that.

Around Lansdowne Road, for instance, they did a good bit of surveying on match weekends a few years ago, and they eventually put in a pedestrian crossing on Grand Canal St Upper (presumably as a result of looking at traffic survey data).

Advertisement