Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late night flights over Westbury?

Options
  • 01-06-2009 11:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, im originall from Shannon but moved to Westbury last November. When i was living at home i never noticed the noise from planes, choppers etc but i can notice it in Limerick.

So on to my point, why the hell can i hear an aircraft flying over the Westbury area 4-5 nights a week at 2.55am? The only aircraft going into SNN at that hour are the troop flights but surely Limerick wouldnt be on their flight path.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Limerick is where the military planes fly over. The loud roar of the troop carriers has been very common over Limerick at night for the last ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

Most of the military flights are later 6amish and usually approach from the south

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Kess73 wrote: »
    Limerick is where the military planes fly over. The loud roar of the troop carriers has been very common over Limerick at night for the last ten years.

But they wouldnt land/take off at the same time every night though.

Melion wrote: »
    But they wouldnt land/take off at the same time every night though.

The military planes are pretty regular with their times, with an early morning and a late night arrival on the days they come in.

The chopper you hear is most likely the Garda chopper doing it's rounds, as you are pretty close to it's normal rounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The early morning flights always land between 5.30 and 6.30 am. Late night land around 12am. I know that from working in SNN, it doesnt sound big enough to be an Omni though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

technically speaking westbury is in county clare! :D

Melion wrote: »
    The early morning flights always land between 5.30 and 6.30 am. Late night land around 12am. I know that from working in SNN, it doesnt sound big enough to be an Omni though.

Those are commercial times, the military flights do not work to those times, and do not board and disembark from their aircraft at the same places as commercial passengers.

I used to work in the airport and still have three family members there, two in the airport police/fire dept, and one in airtraffic control. Where you will here the loudest rumble at times from the military aircraft is over Patrickswell as they come close to Limerick and then run along the left side of the river and basically hang a left just before the Clare hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Where they go depends on the winds and where they are going. Last few days the winds have been southerly, so aircraft taking off RWY06 (towards Limerick) as it were, so would explain why...

There have been 2 Omni DC10's every day in the last week (3 on some days); and there is a Murray Air DC87 every Weds/Thurs, often early morning if its not delayed. A very anti-social sounding aircraft if there ever was one!

Where they go depends on the winds and where they are going. Last few days the winds have been southerly, so aircraft taking off RWY06 (towards Limerick) as it were, so would explain why...

There have been 2 Omni DC10's every day in the last week (3 on some days); and there is a Murray Air DC87 every Weds/Thurs, often early morning if its not delayed. A very anti-social sounding aircraft if there ever was one!

Yeah the McDonnell Douglas used by Murray air is a loud beast indeed.

Advertisement