Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exclusive: Garda car collision in Dublin 8

Options
  • 01-06-2009 5:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

A Garda squad car collided with a taxi near St. James's Hospital at around 2am on the 1st June. Photo taken minutes after collision. According to witnesses the collision occurred as a result of the occupied taxi performing an illegal u-turn on the main road while the squad car was approaching. Several people involved were injured, including both Gardai in the squad car and the passenger in the taxi. All were taken to the nearby hospital by ambulance. The scene was being technically examined shortly after the photo was taken. Witnesses also stated that although the squad car was not responding a call, there was no time for the Garda car to take evasive action from the taxi's path.
    The rear of the taxi can be seen on the far left of the photo, it hit a lamp-post on the opposite side of the street after the initial collision. The group of firemen on the right beside the squad car are tending to a Garda with possible spinal injuries.

Your thoughts on this are welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Nothing to say really only that thoughts and prayers are with the injured parties.

I really hope the Guard doesn't have spinal injuries and the witnesses just saw an over cautious paramedic

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

You should proberly remove the pic until the condition of the people involved is known.

There was a similar thread in Photography not so long ago and it caused a mixed reaction. Think the pic was removed in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Onkle wrote: »
    Nothing to say really only that thoughts and prayers are with the injured parties.

I really hope the Guard doesn't have spinal injuries and the witnesses just saw an over cautious paramedic

Absolutely, what a horrible thing to happen while going about your business. The nigerian taxi driver was able to walk away but his passenger was trapped for a time. Taxi's are notorious for doing u-turns at that particular spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Absolutely, what a horrible thing to happen while going about your business. The nigerian taxi driver was able to walk away but his passenger was trapped for a time. Taxi's are notorious for doing u-turns at that particular spot.

I can't place the spot in my head. I know the area very well, am from Inchicore, where exactly is this?

d3mon24 wrote: »
    You should proberly remove the pic until the condition of the people involved is known.

There was a similar thread in Photography not so long ago and it caused a mixed reaction. Think the pic was removed in the end.

With all due respect, no compromising or distasteful images are shown, if people could tell the press to do that we'd have very boring newspapers.

• Advertisement

Onkle wrote: »
    I can't place the spot in my head. I know the area very well, am from Inchicore, where exactly is this?

Just up from the Emo garage in mount brown, the hill leads up to Ceannt Fort

With all due respect, no compromising or distasteful images are shown, if people could tell the press to do that we'd have very boring newspapers.

Ya your right. But it might get some peoples backs up

d3mon24 wrote: »
    Ya your right. But it might get some peoples backs up
    If it does get a bad reaction I have no problem removing it

Cant say fairer than that.

Did you witness the crash or did you just come across it?

I didn't actually see it happen but I arrived about 5 minutes after. 2 lads that were in the pub with me were walking past when it happened. The squad car nearly hit them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I have removed the picture until we know the condition of the Garda who is being treated.

Please refer to the forum charter on this which states:

"Pictures of incidents such as car crashes in particular those involving fatalities should have all number plates blanked and not be easily identifiable as to the exact incident. Please use your head on this and be sensitive to those who were involved in the incident and be aware that such photos may be considered evidence.
    Be sure to give a description of the image except in cases of fatalities or serious injuries"

Until we know more, I will ask you to keep this picture to yourself?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

The nigerian taxi driver...

I fail to understand why nationality is mentioned here.

Or the lack of capitalisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

ArseBurger wrote: »

If its fact I dont see the issue.

You could go further and say why was taxi mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just up from the Emo garage in mount brown, the hill leads up to Ceannt Fort

I know it well and I'm wondering did the taxi pull a U-turn.
    Constantly happens in that area.

Just my first reaction anyway when I saw the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I know it well and I'm wondering did the taxi pull a U-turn.
    Constantly happens in that area

Subsequent question: Why in thename of God do Taxi Drivers simply HAVE to pull such crazy stunts CONSTANTLY.
    Is there some requirement in the Road Traffic Act stating that a Taxi wishing to turn-about MUST perform such manouvere Immediately upon stopping.

It would seem that such is the scarcity of business these days that Taxi Drivers will do this as a natural reflex without any attempt to ensure a clear and safe passage.

For God`s sake why can they not simply drive on to a safe place,indicate and turn-about there. :confused::confused::confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Has anybody heard any updates about this?? Didn't see anything on the news, mainly cos i was out sunning myself all day!
    I know there was a pic so assuming its true?

Get a grip

Why point out the nationality of the driver? Would you have pointed out the nationality of an Irish or English driver? Doubt it.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    If its fact I dont see the issue.

You could go further and say why was taxi mentioned.

In my opinion mentioning that it was a taxi is as relevant as mentioning that there was a police car involved since the taxi is a public service vehicle and therefore requires the driver to have a public service license and insurance etc... with the ensuing consequences of such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Know the area very well. Used to live there. Dangerous hill- assholes speed down it all the time. The best turning area is the entrance to the hospital incinerator facility or the petrol garage. My only ever accident caused by someone turning into Ceannt Fort without indicating causing braking wave. Poor lad behind wasn't paying attention and rear-ended me and cracked his spine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Why point out the nationality of the driver? Would you have pointed out the nationality of an Irish or English driver? Doubt it.
    Why does it matter? Your trying to make something of nothing. World is gone pc mad.
    Hope all involved the accident are ok no matter what nationality they are :rolleyes:

seanybiker wrote: »
    Why does it matter? Your trying to make something of nothing. World is gone pc mad.

I'm not being politically correct. I couldn't give a toss what the nationalities of the people involved were. Either the cops, the taxi driver, or the passenger(s). Kinda the point. No harm in bringing it up, and I always will.
    Hope all involved the accident are ok no matter what nationality they are :rolleyes:

No argument there. Completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Lads - this discussion has gone way off topic!

Right I'm not going off topic again after this.
    Have you ever read a newspaper man? If a foreign national is murdered, the nationality is always emphasised, if a foreign national is arrested for stabbing someone, the nationality is always mentioned. No doubt an Irish person's nationality would be mentioned if the same happened abroad. I personally wouldn't have a problem with that anyway. One poster mentioned the world is too pc these days, frankly he's right. (Sorry he/she)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

frankly he's right. (Sorry he/she)
    Me names seanybiker how can I be a she lol.

Me names seanybiker how can I be a she lol.

You can never be too careful, a solicitor might be watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Garda Vehicles are involved in road accidents regularly. They rarely make the news unless someone dies. Traffic Bike in limerick has regularly come off second best after the dimwitted actions of the public.
    I fail to see the point of this thread.
    Apart from wishing all involved a fast and full recovery of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BizPost

The fact the thread is called "exclusive" when there's people injured personally I think is a bit distasteful. Just an opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It was the photo that was exclusive I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Right I'm not going off topic again after this.
    Have you ever read a newspaper man? If a foreign national is murdered, the nationality is always emphasised, if a foreign national is arrested for stabbing someone, the nationality is always mentioned. No doubt an Irish person's nationality would be mentioned if the same happened abroad. I personally wouldn't have a problem with that anyway. One poster mentioned the world is too pc these days, frankly he's right. (Sorry he/she)

How do you know the driver was nigerian ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement