Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supernatural

Options
  • 01-06-2009 1:55am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody watch this? Was it ever aired on any channel here?
    Supernatural is an American drama/horror television series starring Jared Padalecki as Sam Winchester and Jensen Ackles as Dean Winchester, brothers who hunt demons and other figures of the paranormal. The series, which is filmed in Vancouver, BC, Canada, debuted on September 13, 2005 on The WB, and is now part of The CW's lineup. The second season premiered on September 28, 2006, and the third on October 4, 2007, though its run was interrupted by the writers' strike. Supernatural returned for a fourth season on September 18, 2008.[1] The series was renewed for a fifth season on February 24, 2009.[2]

The series follows the brothers Sam and Dean Winchester, played by Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles, who travel across the country in a black 1967 Chevy Impala investigating and combating paranormal events and other unexplained occurrences, many of them based on folklore, myths, and American urban legends, as well as classic supernatural creatures such as vampires, werewolves, and ghosts. Eric Kripke, the series' creator, cites Neil Gaiman's The Sandman and American Gods as influences on Supernatural, along with American Werewolf in London and Joseph Campbell's The Hero's Journey.[3]
    It's starts out along the same vein as the xfiles I suppose, simple cases of 'evil' things, that the duo must stop, with some good comedy moments. As the series progress it brings in things such as demons, angels, god and the devil coming to earth. Anyway I love the show, just spreading the word if anybody likes this kinda stuff the should watch Supernatural. Just surprised I've never heard it mentioned in Ireland before now.

Comments

TV3 have shown it and there has been many threads about it here. Really is one of the best shows on anywhere atm. I've been following since episode one and have spent the past few years trying to get others to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's brilliant. First few eps were just fun - take them or leave them. But then it evolved into a really great story that is still continuing. Can't wait for next year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Tar - have a look at the TV award nominations where you'll see myself and a few others have nominated Supernatural in numerous categories because we think it's gotten so damn good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

There is a huge thread on season 4 if you do a search,you will see there that a good few people here watch it. Season 4 has been amazing,best season of any tv show this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Will have a look guys, only half way through season 4, savouring it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Got as far as the prophet episode today, it was so brilliant. Love the acting in some of this series, castiel and alastair are so good. Unlike ruby, you believe alastair is the same person in different bodies. The actresses for ruby just weren't near as good as the first one. I love the look on castiel's face: 'just so you understand why I can't help you'.

I thyink I saw on the other thread ixoy that you were not happy with how light zachariah is, since uriel was meant to be the 'funny' one. I took that differently, as another excellent joke by castiel. That actor couldn't do a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm still playing catch-up.. mid-way through season 2.

Should resume watching it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'm surprised this show is so highly regarded here.
    I often saw it advertised but just guessed it was dreadful tripe,like a buffy knock off .
    Its on the CW too ,one of the guys in it was in Smallville ?
    Its trailers and tv spots obviously gave the wrong impression..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,471 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jensen Ackles was in that horrible horrible "Lana is a Witch" season of smallville (6?).
    Please don't let that put you off watching Supernatural. The guy is a very good actor with a gift for comic timing....

As for the show itself, season 1 started as a "monster of the week" show, but quickly moved into a deep and rewarding story arc that'll suck you in if you let it.

Give it a chance....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm surprised this show is so highly regarded here.
    I often saw it advertised but just guessed it was dreadful tripe,like a buffy knock off .
    Its on the CW too ,one of the guys in it was in Smallville ?
    Its trailers and tv spots obviously gave the wrong impression..
    Haven't seen the trailers (other than a few TV3 spots) but I had the exact same impression as you and, initially with season one it seemed to be justified.
    However, it developed into something a lot more and even the MOTW stories became much stronger as did the characters. It's definitely worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

+1 - season 1 is pretty generic "monster-of-the-week" and the show doesn't really find its' direction until season 2. Season 3 is even better and season 4 is one of the best of pretty much any show of the genre. And even though it has been paired with "Smallville" for years (but won't be next year for the first time), it has gone from strength to strength, while "Smallville" should have already been put out of its' misery. Stick with it, it's totally worth it - especially now that there's nothing on more or less, it's a great chance to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 trimeath

Been watchin this for a while now. The 2 main lads really work well together. Haven't seen much of season 4 though, compelling

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

It's one of those shows that took a while to get going but has really found its niche in the last two seasons. I was blown away by the pilot episode back in season 1 - genuinely terrified and dying to see more but then found it went downhill towards the end of that first season. They must have been given a bigger budget from then on because the effects got better and the creatures got creepier :eek::D:D

It's totally engaging now - the stories are unpredicatable which is what I love about it - I can't tell what the characters are going to do next so it's never boring. It's a huge shame TV3 dropped it but if you have Sky, you can see it on ITV2 in the "other channels" section every Sunday at 9. Not sure if it's still on at the mo - was coming near the end of the season a few weeks back. Am already dying for season 5 :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yup, fully up to date with it and loving every episode and can't wait for the next. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 trimeath

Yeah, bloody TV3, never keep any good series going.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Watched all 4 seasons in 3 weeks..that's 82 episodes :eek:
    It really is a fantastic show..Only one bad ep out of 82 (i hate these artistic black and white bull****) which is excellent.
    Jensen Ackles really carries the show....his comedy timing is excellent and he should go far. Nearly every episode I was laughing at what he'd say or do.
    Looking forward to the last season. Should be fantastic.:pac:

Advertisement