Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over charging taxi

Options
  • 01-06-2009 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

About a month ago I was getting a taxi back from some friends in UCD Roebuck accommodation to my house in Dartry. I know the route like the back of my hand, so when the driver said he wasn't sure of the route I told him no bother just follow my directions, which he agreed to. He refused to turn around and go out the Roebuck entrance, and so we left via the Belfield entrance on the Stilorgan Rd. He missed the left turn I told him about in plenty of time, and at the next left pulled in and started playing with his sat-nav, trying to find Dartry! I told him not to bother, I knew the way and could get him back to the centre of town (he was told to go there by radio). He refused, continued to play with his sat-nav. I told him semi-jokingly "I hope I'm not getting charged for this" to which he said nothing. The meter went up by just over €2 while we were sitting there! When we arrived it was just under €12, I handed him €10 and said I'm sorry but I'm not paying for the time spent playing with the sat-nav, as I knew the route and he missed the turning which I had told him about. He got angry and said he would call the guards, I said fine I have no problem with that, in fact I will call them myself about his theft. We were both losing our cool at this point, and with a "You'll never get a taxi in this town again bud" he drove off.

If I was wrong, why did he drop it easily enough? If he was wrong, how do I stop this happening again? Stupidly I was so angry I forgot to get any information, all I know is the car was a red saloon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

t0mm wrote: »
    About a month ago I was getting a taxi back from some friends in UCD Roebuck accommodation to my house in Dartry. I know the route like the back of my hand, so when the driver said he wasn't sure of the route I told him no bother just follow my directions, which he agreed to. He refused to turn around and go out the Roebuck entrance, and so we left via the Belfield entrance on the Stilorgan Rd. He missed the left turn I told him about in plenty of time, and at the next left pulled in and started playing with his sat-nav, trying to find Dartry! I told him not to bother, I knew the way and could get him back to the centre of town (he was told to go there by radio). He refused, continued to play with his sat-nav. I told him semi-jokingly "I hope I'm not getting charged for this" to which he said nothing. The meter went up by just over €2 while we were sitting there! When we arrived it was just under €12, I handed him €10 and said I'm sorry but I'm not paying for the time spent playing with the sat-nav, as I knew the route and he missed the turning which I had told him about. He got angry and said he would call the guards, I said fine I have no problem with that, in fact I will call them myself about his theft. We were both losing our cool at this point, and with a "You'll never get a taxi in this town again bud" he drove off.

If I was wrong, why did he drop it easily enough? If he was wrong, how do I stop this happening again? Stupidly I was so angry I forgot to get any information, all I know is the car was a red saloon.

Sorry to hear of your experience.Yes you were in the right .Its a pity it came to blows ,most decent drivers of which there are many would have listened to you ,and gone the way you asked .Your "driver" from what you said was obviously new to the business ,but thats no excuse for his bad behaviour .If you have problems get in touch with the Gards ,take the plate number and report him/her .
    Complain to the Gards only ,the Taxi Regulator is a joke and will do nothing .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

t0mm wrote: »
    "You'll never get a taxi in this town again bud" he drove off.
    Lol, I hope you exploded laughing when he said that!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

Cool thanks for that Oisin. I generally try to avoid taxi's, mainly because as a student they're quite a bit of an expense, it's a shame that one of the few times I get one the guy turns out to be a complete dick.

Advertisement