Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC OL

Options
  • 31-05-2009 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Following on from a conversation I had with a younger member of staff at our staff do I am interested to hear what ye have to say. I correct the Leaving Cert at Higher level but like most other people started with OL JC. How long per day do ye spend on that? I know with experience I've quickened with the LC but wonder about the JC as is a distant memory at this stage. Was advising 7-8 hours a day and she was shocked, said a friend of hers said 5ish. I think it took me longer than that. Know it depends on bundle of papers but a rough guess...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thank you for reminding me of the horror.
    When I used to do it, I would get up at 6, go hell for leather at it from 7 to 12 or so, break for lunch and then get back to it for another couple of hours.

The Sample 20 and the first 200 or so used to be cruel, after that it got a bit easier as I had the marking scheme in my head and didn't have to keep checking back. A re-mark was always fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I've done OL JC, OL LC and currently HL LC. I used to correct JC Science, I think I was putting in about 6 hours a day on a good day, sometimes longer. The OL paper was structured in such a way that the student had to do 9/15 questions I think, but there were always some who did all the questions :(

LC is much handier because of the way the paper is laid out, and of course it's paid better. Just a pain when all the grind school students write 30 pages when 6 would do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

So what would ye say, 6? I know my first year was horrendous but after that it gets easier. I don't mind it to be honest, keeps me well up to date with how it is marked but much rather the LC to be honest for the reasons mentioned. Although there tend to be more blank pages with the JC which quickens things up considerably. Are the rates written anywhere cos I heard they changed this year? Thanks

I got a letter with my conference details a while back with the rates for Ag Science OL: 7.93 HL:10.40

There was a 5% rise in the rates for correction this year, but expenses are cut by 25%

This is my 8th year - glutton for punishment! But at least I get to find out how it's marked and what will be allowed and what won't

I have yet to receive that letter this year, they seem slower than usual. I wonder have they cut staff there too. Fingers crossed it works out well for us all, I don't know why I do it sometimes but I know it taught me more than the Dip ever did!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

There was a 5% rise in the rates for correction this year, but expenses are cut by 25%

This is not good news if it includes the conference money, which seemed to me to be the best part of the whole thing, remuneration wise.

Yep, bad news all round.

Conference rate (Administration Fee) is €217.17 this year, I assume it's the same for all subjects. I think that was always taxed. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

I've applied to do this for the first time this year..i just have some questions, it would be great if someone could answer.

- the marking is just for the month of July?
    - I've heard it'd hard going but I'm prepared for that- how much would I expect to make overall? Can you take more papers or are is everyone given a set figure? (Correcting JC History/Geography).

Thanks!

funktastic wrote: »
    I've applied to do this for the first time this year..i just have some questions, it would be great if someone could answer.

- the marking is just for the month of July?
    - I've heard it'd hard going but I'm prepared for that- how much would I expect to make overall? Can you take more papers or are is everyone given a set figure? (Correcting JC History/Geography).

Thanks!

It's about 3 1/2- 4 weeks. It depends on when you start, I have my conference on 29/30th June and the letter I got from SEC the other day said I'd finish on 24th July. So about 4 weeks.

It never goes into August, you should be finished by the bank holiday weekend anyway.

Pay is harder to figure out, lots of factors, rate per script, number of scripts, and expenses, if you live more than 80km from Athlone you are entitled to overnight allowance for the conference and mileage, if less than 80km it's just a day allowance for meals and mileage. You normally get between 300-400 scripts, it might be more than 400.

There wouldn't be a lot of leeway to take extra scripts, you are assigned a bag of scripts at the start of the marking, however it might be the case that during marking your adviser might ring and ask can you take extra because someone has dropped out. While you might think at the start that you would, you might feel different when you have done 300 and can't wait to finish the last 100, and another 50 is the last thing you want.... however if you're broke that's a totally different matter :pac: I corrected well over 500 JC Science one year. It was torture.

I'd estimate that after tax and including expenses you should expect to make around €1200-1500 at JC Level. I'm saying this not having a clue what the rate of pay is for History or Geography, it's been a couple of years since I corrected Science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭JD3112

It's about 3 1/2- 4 weeks. It depends on when you start, I have my conference on 29/30th June and the letter I got from SEC the other day said I'd finish on 24th July. So about 4 weeks.

It never goes into August, you should be finished by the bank holiday weekend anyway.

Pay is harder to figure out, lots of factors, rate per script, number of scripts, and expenses, if you live more than 80km from Athlone you are entitled to overnight allowance for the conference and mileage, if less than 80km it's just a day allowance for meals and mileage. You normally get between 300-400 scripts, it might be more than 400.

There wouldn't be a lot of leeway to take extra scripts, you are assigned a bag of scripts at the start of the marking, however it might be the case that during marking your adviser might ring and ask can you take extra because someone has dropped out. While you might think at the start that you would, you might feel different when you have done 300 and can't wait to finish the last 100, and another 50 is the last thing you want.... however if you're broke that's a totally different matter :pac: I corrected well over 500 JC Science one year. It was torture.

I'd estimate that after tax and including expenses you should expect to make around €1200-1500 at JC Level. I'm saying this not having a clue what the rate of pay is for History or Geography, it's been a couple of years since I corrected Science.

Is that all??!! I will be correcting JC OL maths. If it does take me the 26 days then 1200-1500 euro aint that great considerin I could go on the dole for the 4 weeks and get close enough to that without the hassle of correcting papers everyday!!! Does anyone actually know the correct pay?

JD3112 wrote: »
    Is that all??!! I will be correcting JC OL maths. If it does take me the 26 days then 1200-1500 euro aint that great considerin I could go on the dole for the 4 weeks and get close enough to that without the hassle of correcting papers everyday!!! Does anyone actually know the correct pay?

Well it will take the full time allocated, you are only meant to correct a certain number per week, if you go ahead and the marking scheme is changed you will have to recorrect at your own cost. ie. no extra pay for recorrecting papers you shouldn't have corrected yet.

What I said as a final figure is pretty accurate as correct pay goes, I'm sure some of the other teachers on here who correct could verify it.

Correcting papers is 'hassle' but it does allow you to see how papers are marked which is useful if teaching the subject. I can only guess that you are not a contract teacher if you are able to sign on for the summer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's been a while since I corrected, but rainbowtrout's figure sounds about right to me, possibly even a little high.
    If it was just for the money, I doubt there'd be many correctors.

spurious wrote: »
    It's been a while since I corrected, but rainbowtrout's figure sounds about right to me, possibly even a little high.
    If it was just for the money, I doubt there'd be many correctors.

I get the overnight allowance just about :D, that final figure would include all the expenses

I really doubt many do it for the money. It's great on the CV, was one of the first things our principal looks for. She admits that freely.

Advertisement