Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cut my big dogs dewclaws?

Options
  • 31-05-2009 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

So I have a Bernese Mountain Dog which as some of you may know are a very large breed of dogs.

So now I have to cut his dewclaws, which is a huge struggle, as unlike before now I have no one to help me.

So does anyone have any ideas of how I could singlehandedly pin my dog down and cut his nails at the same time.

Btw I have to pin him down as he's very afraid of blades/scissors etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Could you file them with an emeryboard ? http://www.groovycart.co.uk/productimages/c000539/p012052_m_zebra_file.jpg

Could you have accidently trimmed a nail too much before ? might be why he's afaid of scissors etc

Had a pyrenees mastiff before , double dew claws so twice the fun .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 peterom11

bushy... wrote: »
    Could you file them with a nailboard ( if thats what those little sandpaper covered things are called ) ?

Could you have accidently trimmed a nail too much before ? might be why he's afaid of scissors etc

Had a pyrenees mastiff before , double dew claws so twice the fun .

Nope I never cut into the quick before.

I think the reason he's afraid might be because he was in an accident when he was younger but I'm not really sure.

He has fairly thick nails so I doubt a filer/sand paper would do the job but I'll give it a go anyway.

peterom11 wrote: »
    I think the reason he's afraid might be because he was in an accident when he was younger but I'm not really sure.

Scissors could sound the same as something during/before the (car?) accident maybe ?

It took a while to figure out why the pyrenees hated the sound of an office stapler - sounds like loading a shotgun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Hi,
    One of these might work. I hear they're quite good but havent used one myself.
    http://www.peticure.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

This may sound a dumb question but why doesn't a regular walk ware the claws down?

We have a bernese rotty cross, huge beast of a dog with a back problem (fell off wall as a pup afaik) but the mile or so she walks on the road/beach each day is easily enough to keep the claws in trim.

• Advertisement

The dewclaws could be very far from the road , some breeds have an extra one up higher again

ttm wrote: »
    This may sound a dumb question but why doesn't a regular walk ware the claws down?

We have a bernese rotty cross, huge beast of a dog with a back problem (fell off wall as a pup afaik) but the mile or so she walks on the road/beach each day is easily enough to keep the claws in trim.

I bring him for walks but his dewclaw is higher up in his leg. Seeing as he is a Mountain dog I presume it was originally for climbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Sorry my bad thought the OP had all the claws to do.

ttm wrote: »
    Sorry my bad thought the OP had all the claws to do.

Nope, just the upper dewclaws on his hind legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Might be handy for you to take him to the groomers, a good groomer will happily just clip his nails for you without needing to pay for a full wash and blow dry. It's part of what they do and it's quick should only cost a fiver or tenner at most.

• Advertisement

Might be handy for you to take him to the groomers, a good groomer will happily just clip his nails for you without needing to pay for a full wash and blow dry. It's part of what they do and it's quick should only cost a fiver or tenner at most.

I don't think a groomer would be able to handle him honestly. He's about 6 foot standing up and as strong as an ox and he's not exactly fond of strangers.

Any ever send a similar dog to a groomer before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

My guy hated having his claws clipped when I first got him - you'd have thought I was trying to kill him the way he carried on! He still doesn't love it, but we've come to an underatanding - one reasonably chewy biscuit per paw, I pop them in his mouth and he agrees not to struggle until he's finished chewing! When he sees me get the claw clippers out now he'll lead the way to our usual clipping spot.

Most dogs don't like having their paws touched, so you could try slowly desensitising him to it by gently touching and squeezing them while giving him treats so he gets to associate you messing with them with being rewarding. Clicker training is meant to help too.

Blueprint wrote: »
    My guy hated having his claws clipped when I first got him - you'd have thought I was trying to kill him the way he carried on! He still doesn't love it, but we've come to an underatanding - one reasonably chewy biscuit per paw, I pop them in his mouth and he agrees not to struggle until he's finished chewing! When he sees me get the claw clippers out now he'll lead the way to our usual clipping spot.

Most dogs don't like having their paws touched, so you could try slowly desensitising him to it by gently touching and squeezing them while giving him treats so he gets to associate you messing with them with being rewarding. Clicker training is meant to help too.

What treats would you recommend?

I usually give my lad markies as a reward but he has them finished in a number of seconds.

I would also want him to have his muzzle on when I would be cutting his nails just in case...so preferably something he could lick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

How about something like peanut butter? If nothing else it gums up the mouth nicely and distracts the dog! My guy's only small, so a markie per foot will do him...

But for the building up a good association with having his paws touched, I'd say lots of little treats would be best, especially if he scoffs them very fast.

Blueprint wrote: »
    How about something like peanut butter? If nothing else it gums up the mouth nicely and distracts the dog! My guy's only small, so a markie per foot will do him...

But for the building up a good association with having his paws touched, I'd say lots of little treats would be best, especially if he scoffs them very fast.

I saw a video of this think before. it was kind of like a bottle but it was stuffed with some type of peanut butter.

Anyone know where I could get that or alternatively how I could make my own?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

You could ask the vet to do them next time you're in?

I use a clipping tool specifically for dogs/animals nails - it basically clips in one snip. Which means it's over very quickly, you are not there cutting and cutting. You can pick them up in most pet shops.

You could wait until he's asleep and snip them off really quick.

Best of luck with him.

kildara wrote: »
    You could wait until he's asleep and snip them off really quick.

Bit dangerous with big dogs ,if he wakes up panicky thinking "attack" , you'd end up a mess.

Advertisement