Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Biology

Options
  • 31-05-2009 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

OKay.. I'm new here... so forgive me if i've posted this in the wrong place but man, I am freaking out.

I haven't exactly studied my ass off this year, and my leaving cert starts Wednesday. I'm busy cramming Home ec and Geography this week, leaving me no other time before the exams begin to study my other subects... English, I think I'll do okay. I generally get A1s but I dunno if i trust my teachers marking. I'm prepared for Maths ppr 1 so my big problems this week are Home ec and geog....

But next week... the only time i'm going to have to study biology is my day off the day before... do you think i'll get enough done to pass? I'm in higher level. All i need is the 40%, and has anyone any tips on what I could leave out or what to concentrate on?

Thanks,

Lisa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Evolution, its pretty much a certainty.

Fad wrote: »
    Evolution, its pretty much a certainty.

Not if you're deeply religious!

(Worst joke ever...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

If you get most of section A and B right, and make any attempt at section C you should pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

tips

ecology
    photosynthesis
    respiration
    human reproduction
    food
    osmosis experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Not if you're deeply religious!

(Worst joke ever...)

Nah, only if you're a baptist, but then, I think you'd have much deeper problems than denying evolution...............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Photosynthesis Respiration and Genetics tend to come up every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Learn ecology and reproduction well, go over the disection of the heart experiment, be able to bull**** a bit a VOILA you have a pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

Photosynthesis and Respiration are the hardest chapters imo. I mean all those NADP, NADPH, NADP+, ADP, ATP, electrons here and there, light stage, photophosphorylation, dark stage, electron transport system, glycolysis, Krebs Cycle..... curse those chapters.....I want an A:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

haloauto wrote: »
    Photosynthesis and Respiration are the hardest chapters imo. I mean all those NADP, NADPH, NADP+, ADP, ATP, electrons here and there, light stage, photophosphorylation, dark stage, electron transport system, glycolysis, Krebs Cycle..... curse those chapters.....I want an A:mad:

Jus learn the diagrams and where they take place and that's basically it... It's shorter and easier then ppl think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Pooner

if you have the green micheal o callaghan book
    unit 1,unit 2 and all the experiments is 80% of the paper
    I know its the hards stuff but look at the size of unit three!!

Tips for this year are
    -enzymes esp. the experiments
    -pespiration and photosynthesis always-possible a long question based on repiration with a small photo. part thrown in the mix
    -Evolution, it is the anaversary of darwins book but remember wallace played a big part too. In this esp. kno the theory of natural selection and 2 observations and 2 conclusions. Also 1 study for example palenthology or evolution of the horse.
    -Know how to do your crosses it might only be a short question but its worth the marks
    -Im going picking either ecology or genetics to lighten the load, if you are make sure you know the one you pick well(just scan through the chapters on the other though for fear you get caught in short q's on it, if you have a revision book or something sumarised like that,it will do). If that hapens to be genetics know protiensynthesis.

For long questions you dont have to learn off reams of stuff, think diagrans to explan long stuff like DNA replication and protiensyntesis its easier for the examiner and just use small anotations but remember clear and labeled!!!

Note: Do NOT leave out questions in the short section esp. even the exp. section, it can piss off an examiner if they think you dont care about their subject.

Note2: watch the wording of the question. Not doing exactly as it says wil lose you marks...if it says place letters on the diagran and you make little labels from it with a ruler so it doesnt look cluttered you will get 0 marks.PUT IT ON THE DIAGRAM!!!!
    also a few years ago the question said list the types of RNA and explain their functions(24marks)... if you did not list them first together and THEN go on to explain them you lost 9marks (1 for each of the types or RNA not listed) so be careful

*Best of luck*-and said you only need 40% so if you just half learn everything;) Know definitions on the topics you would ace a long question on, not knowing them is throwing away easy marks.

1 day is loads of time-once you have chosen between ecology and genetics its only a topic an hour about!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement