Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crow

Options
  • 31-05-2009 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all, hope someone on this site can help me, i found a crow over 2 weeks ago, he couldn't fly, i brought him to the vet and he said he reckons he was poisoned and underweight, he also has a broken foot but his wings are fine, i've been feeding him and went to let him go yesterday but he wouldnt fly away..anyone hav any ideas on what to do next...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Keep feeding him but keep him in a open pen so that he can fly off when he wants to. Make sure that cats can't get him. Crows can get very tame. I rescued one a few years ago & he stayed around becoming tamer every day. He would chase the dogs away from their food so that he could steal it. They are very intelligent, perceptive & underappreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

There was a tame jackdaw in my estate when I was in primary school... He was great, he'd fly the length of the road to land on my arm if I called him. Then he just disappeared one day. We think he was killed by a "well meaning" parent, he showed no fear and would follow people looking for food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

kiffer wrote: »
    There was a tame jackdaw in my estate when I was in primary school... He was great, he'd fly the length of the road to land on my arm if I called him. Then he just disappeared one day. We think he was killed by a "well meaning" parent, he showed no fear and would follow people looking for food.
    Aww, thats so sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Has the crow been cleared by the vet to be let go, has his foot fully healed. He shouldn't be released until the foot has healed and he's put on a bit of weight etc. Perhaps take him back to the vets to make sure if he's fit enough yet, he might of also lost a lot of wing muscle so would need to be put into an aviary or the like so he can start to strengthen his wings.

Is there a local wildlife place in your area, perhaps try contact birdwatch ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

fair play to you for getting him back to health:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

lizzylinda wrote: »
    Hi all, hope someone on this site can help me, i found a crow over 2 weeks ago, he couldn't fly, i brought him to the vet and he said he reckons he was poisoned and underweight, he also has a broken foot but his wings are fine, i've been feeding him and went to let him go yesterday but he wouldnt fly away..anyone hav any ideas on what to do next...

awh well done for minding him. yes crows can get very tame, they are intelligent and end up making good pets. keep feeding and enjoy him while it lasts.

Advertisement