Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking Infant as Child on Ryanair

Options
  • 31-05-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Booking Infant as Child on Ryanair .

I am booking my 18 moths old daughter on ryanair as Child will , it creat any problem .

As she is uder 2 years and on their t&c if I select infant she will not get a seat .

Also child seat is expesive as comapred to infant.

I think it should be ok , but ay suggesstions

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

topdost wrote: »
    I am booking my 18 moths old daughter on ryanair as Child will , it creat any problem .As she is uder 2 years and on their t&c if I select infant she will not get a seat .Also child seat is expesive as comapred to infant.
    You might have to opt for priority boarding if you want to sit beside your baby? (I offer this, partly in jest...but with RyanAir...you'd never know...)

More seriously, you might find that it's in some safety regulation that youger children/infants must be strapped to an adult as they might not be big enough to be effecttively restrained in a full seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tower Ranger

Booking Infant as Child on Ryanair .

I am booking my 18 moths old daughter on ryanair as Child will , it creat any problem .

As she is uder 2 years and on their t&c if I select infant she will not get a seat .

Also child seat is expesive as comapred to infant.

I think it should be ok , but ay suggesstions

thanks

There are safety and insurance issues here.
    firstly, they will check the documentation for the child, and will kick up a stink about the fact that they are under 2, and not on an infant fare. you may find yourself having to buy an infant fare at the airport.
    There will be an issue with an under 2 having a seat on its own, the requirement is for infants to be strapped with a lap belt to their parent/guardian.
    From a safety point of view, think of the welfare of the child - an 18 month old in a seat with a seatbelt + some manner of adjuster. What if the aircraft comes to a sudden halt on taxi/takeoff/landing?
    The child could slip under the belt - known as submarining - this wont happen if they are on your lap
    Personally, and knowing that Ryanair are sticklers for finding fault in any booking - so they can extract more money from you, and most of all as a safety priority, buy an infant ticket
    regards TR

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

yeah seems like they will make me pay 20 for baby and 1 poud for adult

what a joke ryanair

There are safety and insurance issues here.
    firstly, they will check the documentation for the child, and will kick up a stink about the fact that they are under 2, and not on an infant fare. you may find yourself having to buy an infant fare at the airport.
    There will be an issue with an under 2 having a seat on its own, the requirement is for infants to be strapped with a lap belt to their parent/guardian.
    From a safety point of view, think of the welfare of the child - an 18 month old in a seat with a seatbelt + some manner of adjuster. What if the aircraft comes to a sudden halt on taxi/takeoff/landing?
    The child could slip under the belt - known as submarining - this wont happen if they are on your lap
    Personally, and knowing that Ryanair are sticklers for finding fault in any booking - so they can extract more money from you, and most of all as a safety priority, buy an infant ticket
    regards TR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭VanBosch

what a joke ryanair

Considering the safety points which have been put forward above, namely the fact that it isnt safe for a child of that age to sit in a seat on their own - I dont see the issue. Surely safety comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Polar101

what a joke ryanair

Why not fly with someone else then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Dkettle

I travelled at the weekend on Ryanair with my 20 month old. We booked her as an infant and therefore did not have to pay extra for the buggy. There was a spare seat beside us so we strapped her into it, but as she was less than 2 the cabin crew insisted we put her on my lap and use the "baby buckle" to strap her to my belt.

This had nothing to do with the ticket we bought, rather the fact she was under two, we were told that it was mandatory to keep her on our lap.

The only advantage of booking as a child is that you can keep a spare seat beside you, but you may even have to fight for that.

It was about a year since I flew with Ryanair and they have stopped giving priority boarding to passengers with small children. You have to pay for it if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

what a joke ryanair

if you dont like their rules, fly with someone else then :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bubblegumcrisis

... you might find that it's in some safety regulation that youger children/infants must be strapped to an adult as they might not be big enough to be effecttively restrained in a full seat.

Why is it more safe to put a 20 months old child on the parents lap when it might be bigger and heavier than some 25 months children....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,291 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think its in the IATA regulations; not that Ryanair obey these (their baggage policy breaks IATA regulations - these state that on planes above a certain, small, size that ladies handbags cannot be classified as carry on luggage at all...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

MYOB wrote: »
    I think its in the IATA regulations; not that Ryanair obey these (their baggage policy breaks IATA regulations - these state that on planes above a certain, small, size that ladies handbags cannot be classified as carry on luggage at all...)

AFAIK IATA can't issue regulations so there's none to break, the IATA is a trade organisation working for the benefit of its members. Since it is not a recognised regulatory body it can only publish recommendations and guidelines which airlines are not obliged to follow.

In the absence of legal regulations, such as those issued by the Irish Aviation Authority and the Commission for Civil Aviation, airlines are free to, and do, set their own internal standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

what a joke ryanair

Sounds like you're the joke. Don't fly with them if it's not "Good Enough" for you. You're probably the type of person that intentionally books a flight using wrong information and then complains about having to pay fines while a queue waits patiently behind you. And you don't seem to care about the safety of your child by trying to get out of the child safety regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

Yeah thats what I have now thought find a ENGLISH airlies to fly with , Ryanair are ****.

deman wrote: »
    Sounds like you're the joke. Don't fly with them if it's not "Good Enough" for you. You're probably the type of person that intentionally books a flight using wrong information and then complains about having to pay fines while a queue waits patiently behind you. And you don't seem to care about the safety of your child by trying to get out of the child safety regulations.

Advertisement