Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History thread

Options
  • 31-05-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Can we have a thread with all the essays people are doing for History (and any predictions/hints if possible)

I am doing

Ireland Topic 2:

85/85 Elections
    GAA/Cultural Revival
    Parnell

Ireland Topic 3:

Treaty Negotiations
    The Emergency
    Cumann/FF economic policies/performance
    The Rising

Europe (Dictatorship/Democracy):

The Show Trials
    Anti-Semitism/The Holocaust
    Mussolini
    Wartime Alliances (Maybe)

I'm kind of at a loss for Ireland topic 2, knowing which specific areas to study

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

dog_pig wrote: »
    Can we have a thread with all the essays people are doing for History (and any predictions/hints if possible)

I am doing

Ireland Topic 2:

85/85 Elections
    GAA/Cultural Revival
    Parnell

Ireland Topic 3:

Treaty Negotiations
    The Emergency
    Cumann/FF economic policies/performance
    The Rising

The Show Trials
    Anti-Semitism/The Holocaust
    Mussolini
    Wartime Alliances (Maybe)

I'm kind of at a loss for Ireland topic 2, knowing which specific areas to study

you should definitely do Church State Relations in Dictatorship and Democracy. BEst chance by far of coming up and it's quite short

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

There has been about 8 million history threads over the past week. Not attacking the OP or anything, just think it's weird that:

1. there are so many threads
    2. History students can't think enough to look back 1 or 2 pages/ use search

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

phasers wrote: »
    2. History students can't think enough to look back 1 or 2 pages/ use search

Which is interesting considering the nature of the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

I'll have an essay for the Strike and lockout typed up for later if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Would anyone doing the northern Ireland topic consider leaving out the whole section on the troubles and focus on the welfare state, what led to the troubles etc ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Solas Way

Ireland Topic 2:

85/85 Elections
    GAA/Cultural Revival
    Parnell & Butt (leaving out land aggitation, good idea?)

Ireland Topic 3:

Home Rule Crisis
    2nd Sinn Fein Party
    Treaty Negotiations
    War of independace
    The Eucharistic Congress

The Show Trials
    Anti-Semitism/The Holocaust (this is tipped isn't it?)
    Nazi Propganda

That should be it, may have left 1 or two from the list.
    that said I still have t oreally get them down.

Also had to go through pages of threas to find a history one:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I just had a horrible thought. Imagine if the same thing as with English Paper 2 happened with History and we ended up getting totally different questions to what was predicted.:eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I just had a horrible thought. Imagine if the same thing as with English Paper 2 happened with History and we ended up getting totally different questions to what was predicted.:eek:
    Don't have horrible thoughts!

Think NICE thoughts about puppies and sunshine and getting the exams over and done with ... :D

Besides, the chances of it happening twice, especially in the same year with everyone now on high alert status ...

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

There better not be a History Paper 2 because I never studied for that.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yellow belly du

The 1885 and 1886 elections are predicated to come up something like "What was the impact of the 1885 and 1886 elections on Irish politics?"

Would you have to talk about the actual events during those elections or just the impact they had? Anyone have a short essay plan that they could post up? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

The 1885 and 1886 elections are predicated to come up something like "What was the impact of the 1885 and 1886 elections on Irish politics?"

Would you have to talk about the actual events during those elections or just the impact they had? Anyone have a short essay plan that they could post up? Thanks

1. Background - Parnell, HR leader, 1882 Kilmainham Treaty (focus now on HR)
    2. 1885 Election - Result - Parnell holds the balance of power, chooses Liberals
    3. 1886 HR Bill - Details of the bill - Bill is defeated, general election called
    4. 1886 Election - Election issue = HR for Ireland? - Liberals lose, Conservatives get into power
    5. HR goes into decline - Conservative policy of "killing HR with kindness"
    6. Emergence of unionism
    7. HR party splits over Parnell divorce
    8. Conclusion - 1885-1886 period, Parnell almost got HR but failed, unionists in the North get very motivated - a sign of things to come

This format applies to Parnell as well which is more likely to be asked as he didn't appear last year (just leave out the bit on unionism and details of the HR bill).

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yellow belly du

ateam wrote: »
    1. Background - Parnell, HR leader, 1882 Kilmainham Treaty (focus now on HR)
    2. 1885 Election - Result - Parnell holds the balance of power, chooses Liberals
    3. 1886 HR Bill - Details of the bill - Bill is defeated, general election called
    4. 1886 Election - Election issue = HR for Ireland? - Liberals lose, Conservatives get into power
    5. HR goes into decline - Conservative policy of "killing HR with kindness"
    6. Emergence of unionism
    7. HR party splits over Parnell divorce
    8. Conclusion - 1885-1886 period, Parnell almost got HR but failed, unionists in the North get very motivated - a sign of things to come

This format applies to Parnell as well which is more likely to be asked as he didn't appear last year (just leave out the bit on unionism and details of the HR bill).

Thanks so much, thats perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Parnell will be asked in some way in this paper, it's pretty much a sure bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

terrible paper, especiallytopic three in europe

Advertisement