Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 lights in sky tonight

Options
  • 31-05-2009 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Saw strange lights in the sky tonight near sallins in county kildare. 3 orange lights moving slowly in the sky. 3 lights there were, but not close to each other at all.

Disappeared after 2 minutes of me seeing seeing them. All disappeared simultaneously.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Saw strange lights in the sky tonight near sallins in county kildare. 3 orange lights moving slowly in the sky. 3 lights there were, but not close to each other at all.

Disappeared after 2 minutes of me seeing seeing them. All disappeared simultaneously.

Posted on another thread but I just saw one light last night.. around 10:45ish.. Orange light to the North moving East to West. Faded as it moved across. Looked too high to be an aeroplane (plus light wasn't flashing.. was constant).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BravoTango

I actually saw this from Waterford a few weeks back almost like stars and were in a triange formation moving from west to east, some sort of satalittes working together I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Try a program called Stellarium for identifying objects in the future. It's freeware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Hi,

I saw just the same thing in chapelizod 10 mins ago (23:20, 3rd June) ran in to get me phone for a video and it was gone.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Botany Bay

Just saw an unusual light, (23:25-23:30), North Dublin. Traveling from the south, heading in a north/north-west direction.

It could have been a satellite/debris re-entering the atmosphere, but there was no trail. It was incredibly luminous, like a large bright star, similar to Venus when it's well defined. Strange thing is, it started to fade out, or dim, to the point where it was barely visible, like a very faint star. Passed straight over me, and from my position, right under the "plough".

Ive seen the ISS and know that it travels in a west to east direction. It was similar to that, high altitude, bright, silent.

Definitely wasn't a helicopter or conventional aircraft. Do satellites or other re-entry vehicles/debris normally have these characteristics??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I saw that too actually, but couldn't hear any jet engines. It didn't seem bright enough to be the ISS either.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Botany Bay wrote: »
    Just saw an unusual light, (23:25-23:30), North Dublin. Traveling from the south, heading in a north/north-west direction.

It could have been a satellite/debris re-entering the atmosphere, but there was no trail. It was incredibly luminous, like a large bright star, similar to Venus when it's well defined. Strange thing is, it started to fade out, or dim, to the point where it was barely visible, like a very faint star. Passed straight over me, and from my position, right under the "plough".

Ive seen the ISS and know that it travels in a west to east direction. It was similar to that, high altitude, bright, silent.

Definitely wasn't a helicopter or conventional aircraft. Do satellites or other re-entry vehicles/debris normally have these characteristics??

Saw this too myself. Was out gawking at Saturn on my neighbours scope in County Louth. Came from North-East heading North-Westerly direction. Visible for a couple of minutes, very bright initially but faded out until it was barely visible. I reckon a satellite catching the sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

I know of the Satellites glinting in the sun , a lot of these can be predicted using the web-site Heavens-above.com , they are called Iridium flares iirc.

But as far as I know , heavens-above only tracks satellites from the now defunct iridium satellite group (look at their about us page)

I've never seen an iridium flare last longer than 2-3 seconds given that all it is ,is reflected sunlight bouncing off a satellite at the right angle for an observer.I'm not sure( I highly doubt ) if this is related to what all of you saw but I hope this helps.

Fionn
    p.s. Both Rum+coke and parts of Budweiser are known to cause visions in the eyes, but I believe you ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Botany Bay

Fionn101 wrote: »
    I know of the Satellites glinting in the sun , a lot of these can be predicted using the web-site Heavens-above.com , they are called Iridium flares iirc.

But as far as I know , heavens-above only tracks satellites from the now defunct iridium satellite group (look at their about us page)

I've never seen an iridium flare last longer than 2-3 seconds given that all it is ,is reflected sunlight bouncing off a satellite at the right angle for an observer.I'm not sure( I highly doubt ) if this is related to what all of you saw but I hope this helps.

Fionn
    p.s. Both Rum+coke and parts of Budweiser are known to cause visions in the eyes, but I believe you ;-)

That's what I thought it was initially. I've seen videos of iridium flares at night. The thing about what I saw, was the length of time it was visible, from being very luminous to dimming, to being only barely visible, was a lot longer than two or three seconds.

The other aspect against, it being a satellite, is the trajectory, south-north. I know that the vast majority of satellites, travel in a west-east direction.

I'll keep looking for an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 NickFromTipp

I'm fairly into astronomy and space. As regards satellites, you are correct that mostly they go west to east. However, there are a lot of satellites in what are called polar orbits. These can be at an inclination between 85deg and 95deg. For instance, quite a few american military satellites are launched from Vandenberg air force base on the west coast. These are launched almost due south. Reason is the rocket will be almost immediately over the ocean and is less risky if it fails. High inclination / polar orbit are ideal for reconnaisance as almost all points of the globe will be covered at some time of the day.

On the bright single light. That could be the internation space station. Esp if it lasted for a few minute. The space station now has it's full complement of solar panels and is extremely bright in the sky, just before it sets. As bright as an aircraft with landing lights on.

For a bright 'flare' maybe 10 - 20 seconds long, you are probably looking at an Iridium flare. I've seen them at night many times. It is in fact possible to see them in daylight but I've never seen that myself.

For the 3 lights in a row, I cant remember the name of the satellites, but I know the americans had a series of these 3-satellite formation systems up for a while. I think they are for electronic intelligence. Having 3 satellites in formation means they can triangulate the signal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kjen

I seen about 6 of them tonight over walkinstown. I seen 2 fairly good and they looked like some big kind of kite or balloon and they definitly had a flame inside them and as they got higher they died out. Anyone have a better idea of what they are now????????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭squonk

Do a google for Glo Lanterns... that's what they are I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kjen

Just googled Glo lanterns and thats exactly what i seen last night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

also was seen here in Dublin 15 14th june an 22 june

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

I'm fairly into astronomy and space. As regards satellites, you are correct that mostly they go west to east. However, there are a lot of satellites in what are called polar orbits. These can be at an inclination between 85deg and 95deg. For instance, quite a few american military satellites are launched from Vandenberg air force base on the west coast. These are launched almost due south. Reason is the rocket will be almost immediately over the ocean and is less risky if it fails. High inclination / polar orbit are ideal for reconnaisance as almost all points of the globe will be covered at some time of the day.

On the bright single light. That could be the internation space station. Esp if it lasted for a few minute. The space station now has it's full complement of solar panels and is extremely bright in the sky, just before it sets. As bright as an aircraft with landing lights on.

For a bright 'flare' maybe 10 - 20 seconds long, you are probably looking at an Iridium flare. I've seen them at night many times. It is in fact possible to see them in daylight but I've never seen that myself.

For the 3 lights in a row, I cant remember the name of the satellites, but I know the americans had a series of these 3-satellite formation systems up for a while. I think they are for electronic intelligence. Having 3 satellites in formation means they can triangulate the signal.
    thanks for the info :).

Advertisement