Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on my website

Options
  • 30-05-2009 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi, Im new on this forum and I was wondering if you could help me with my website. I am not a web-developer and have no experience in marketing. I've done SEO and I am advertising on Facebook IE and UK, I used to buy Adwords but they were too expensive and not driving enough traffic. I can see from my Google Insight account that many people visit my site www.charmmyheartsandcrafts.com, they spend a couple of minutes looking around but only a few people actually finalize and make an order. Do you find it user-friendly? Do you know any cheap and effective ways of advertising online? I dont understand, my prices are cheap and I know there is a huge market out there for Hello Kitty fans. So why are they not buying on my site?

Any feedback and help would be really appreciated. Thanks. Alex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You say that few people actually make an order -- what percentage of visitors buys? You can expect conversion rates of 1-3% as fairly standard, so if it's around that you're starting from a decent position. And if people are spending several *minutes* on the site then you're doing pretty good - the site content is keeping them interested.

Site design isn't bad, it's a fairly old school standard type of ecommerce design. Could be revamped but a couple of tweaks from a good web designer could spruce it up a bit. I'm not mad about the logo but it suits the site type.

I think you can boost numbers converting from visitor to customer. Couple of things I'd do: add more company information (RBN etc) to the About Us page. Add some testimonials from your existing customers. I'd consider adding the product categories into the navigation bar across the top. Note typo on cart page: "Ireland Standard Delivey", might be hurting conversion on that page.

I'd consider doing "Free Shipping" as standard, and add the margin to the product. Free shipping offers convert better than cheaper products with expensive shipping added later (which is why so many carts are abandoned).

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

dont like it at all, looks like a standard template. For that type of product you may be better using etsy.com if you cannot develop a proper site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 topogina1977

Thanks a million for the suggestions. I will definitely go for the "free shipping" option even if it might take a bit to change the pricing and ask my existing customers to email me some feedback that I can post on the site.

I got a bounce rate of 54%, pretty high, eh? I am thinking my customers are getting confused by the fact I'm selling Hello Kitty and some jewellery. I have corrected the typo (thanks for that!!I'm not mother tongue nor have I had somebody to proof-read the site).

When you say to add a product category at the top of the page, do you mean to display it on the orange bar? Will do, thanks.

One last question, what do you mean with RBN? I have googled it and I got even more confused...

Thanks again for having a look at my site.

Cheers!

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    dont like it at all, looks like a standard template. For that type of product you may be better using etsy.com if you cannot develop a proper site.

You are right, it is a template I got from Venda, which is also hosting my site for 65 Euros per month and as I said I'm not a developer so I have to do my best with the resources I got available.

Can you give me some constructive feedback? What would you change to make it less "commercial" or less "standard"? Thanks :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

The only other thing that jumped out at me were the images.
    They have various backgrounds that maybe took from what you are trying to sell.

Maybe as you update your range try to use a standard white background - non-textured or something similar. For example on one or two images I could see wood; another crepe paper; other like cotton wool and on yet another it appears to be a pillow or table cloth. There was one really distracting one with brown swirls under one of the rings I think.

But you know not too bad really - even if it is a little old school - so what.

Is that your facebook link on the contact page - while very personable - might attract some wackos. I have seen other company's use facebook in a similar fashion - but without the personalisation - for example there is "Coast Mountain Kayak" - they regularly send out updates / enquiries on things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Can you give me some constructive feedback? What would you change to make it less "commercial" or less "standard"? Thanks :o

There's no solid design principles, no real call to action on the site (which explains your high bounce rate)

On the homepage, there's 15 products fighting for attention amonst other elements, 34 sub categories on the side, it's all too much and little or no though has gone into organising all the information & the photos do not show the products well.

This is why templates aren't ideal, it's probably going to be very hard to edit that template into an effective site.

Edit: header image is also very big, even on a large monitor. I wasn't saying use etsy.com to annoy you, it really might be the best option, no cost to setup a site if you've no budget, and you're added to a marketplace already.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

RBN is "Registered Business Name" - you can get one from the CRO, even as a sole trader.

I agree with the comments above about call to action and site design in general - it's tough to tweak the site without full access to the template etc. I think modifying the look to something more consistent with your customers expectations - if they're looking for Hello Kitty gear, having more branding in line with that would be good.

There is a lot you can do, ranging from minor tweaks as we've suggested, to wholesale changes. My suggestion as to your next steps would depend on your current sales and how much time and money you have to invest in the site, and on your own technical and design skills, and whether you'd like to learn more in that area.

Hi,

I have taken your advices and put them into place, not all of them I am afraid, still working on some stuff....

Please visit www.charmmyheartsandcrafts.com and let me know what you think. I still haven't changed the pictures as I didn't have enough time to do that (I sell more that 150 products) and I'm doing everything by myself.

I have raised all the prices by 1 Euro and I am now offering free delivery, I've change template, removed the subcategories and worked all day on my SEO (almost ready to start with the Adwords again)!

Do you know what I could use to make more professional pictures? Should I edit the existin gones with a Photoshop-like software or start from scratch and use a white non fluffy background?

Im open to suggestions here.

Cheers and thank you all for your help!

Alex

Taltos wrote: »
    The only other thing that jumped out at me were the images.
    They have various backgrounds that maybe took from what you are trying to sell.

Maybe as you update your range try to use a standard white background - non-textured or something similar. For example on one or two images I could see wood; another crepe paper; other like cotton wool and on yet another it appears to be a pillow or table cloth. There was one really distracting one with brown swirls under one of the rings I think.

But you know not too bad really - even if it is a little old school - so what.

Is that your facebook link on the contact page - while very personable - might attract some wackos. I have seen other company's use facebook in a similar fashion - but without the personalisation - for example there is "Coast Mountain Kayak" - they regularly send out updates / enquiries on things.

Hi,

I've removed the link to my Facebook, I dont want to attract any wackos. Thanks for the advice!

Alex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Hi there. really really like the stuff you sell, but why not sell products from cartoons that people know of?
    I know that these shows have cult status world wide but I wouldn't buy stuff from you because my 5 year old daughter has never heard of the cartoons that your products represent. She likes Dora,fifi and the flowertots,Peppa Pig etc. Nick jr. stuff.
    She was 5 yesterday and I would have jumped on you to get her some of your products if they where from cartoons that kids know of.

Unless your aiming your site at young adults who want to be cool. If so, then your products are cool, and Personally I think your products are cool. I know these cartoons, and my wife loves your stuff so I might buy some of your products for her.

I think young trendy parents will buy your products for their kids, but their kids wouldn't know what they were wearing/ wouldn't appreciate the brands, neither would their friends. But their parents will.
    Please dont take this post as negative as I love your products. I just don't know what age bracket your aiming your products at. and if your aiming at kids you'll have to make the site a little more eye catching.
    I wish you the best with your venture, and I'd love to know how your not charging postage worldwide. good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement