Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Time Student Entitled to Benefits??

Options
  • 30-05-2009 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭

A Friend is doing a BA Occassional, what amounts to a part time-degree, takes 4 year instead of three, does anybody know if he would be entitled to some sort of benefits??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

All i can say is i hope to **** you're not. No offence, but there is NO WAY students should be allowed claim benefits. I am doing a flipping MASTERS and i am working too to support myself, there's no way you should be needing benefits when doing a BA

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Not if they have a full time day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

If someone is doing a part time degree they obviously cant commit to doing a full time degree. If they are available to work full time and can prove that they are actively looking for work they should be allowed claim some benifits. Like at least there taking it upon them selves to do some training and better their chances for finding a job.
    Seraphina wrote: »
    All i can say is i hope to **** you're not. No offence, but there is NO WAY students should be allowed claim benefits. I am doing a flipping MASTERS and i am working too to support myself, there's no way you should be needing benefits when doing a BA

What difference is there between a masters and a Degree they still have fees and books to pay for. Also you dont know the ops circumstances. Maybe without a job or state benifits they mightnt be able to afford to do a course. People should be encouraged to study. Id rather someone who is trying to better themselves get money from the state than some doser who has no intention of getting a job ever and just milking the state for every penny they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Intervention

I am so sick of reading this forum and hearing the opinions of people like yourself. If somebody cannot genuinely find work, does not have wealthy parents, is struggling to cope financially, then why the hell shouldn't he/she be entitled to social welfare?
    There are some really helpful posters on this forum such as the mods who offer their advice and support without going in to a rant about whether or not you "should" be entitled to social welfare. Do you really think that half the people on the dole actually ever deserved it in the first place? Deserve has nothing to do with it and it never will. Entitlements is what counts, and if you are in benefit then you shouldn't have to explain yourself to anybody.

You obviously have a problem with the system and that is fair enough. A LOT of people would agree that the system is often unfair or biased, but you have no right to tell somebody coming on to this forum for advise that he should not be entitled to social welfare. OP did not ask that question so please keep your comments to yourself if you are not willing to be helpful.
    GL with your masters, it can't be easy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Seraphina, please have a look at the forum charter and lose the attitude before posting here again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement