Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Majority of election posters in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown are ILLEGAL. Rip em down.

Options
  • 30-05-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/Meetings/2009/DDHWWEDCEC/MAR09.htm
    Guidelines Relating to the Display of Election Poster:

1. Election posters should only be erected after an election has been declared and a polling date determined.

2. In accordance with the Litter Pollution Act 1997 election posters and ties must be removed within 7 days after polling date. Failure to do so may result in prosecution. The associated fixing arrangement particularly plastic ties must be removed at the same time the poster is being removed.

3. No adhesive or metal fixings are permitted.

4. All posters should be manufactured from cardboard composites or other recyclable materials.

5. The Party or individual responsible for the poster must be clearly indicated on the poster.

6. Posters must not be erected as follows:

a. on lamp standards with overhead line electricity feed,

b. on traffic signal poles,

c. on bridge parapets, overpasses and on pedestrian bridges

d. on roadside traffic barriers

e. on traffic poles or statutory signage of any type including stop, yield, cycletrack, parking control, etc.

f. on Motorways

g. must not obstruct the view of traffic lights or road signs,

h. must not block or obstruct motorists view of pedestrians, i.e. pedestrian barriers, or railings.

7. There should be a minimum clearance of 2.5 metres (8ft) from the lower edge of any poster to ground level and no posters should be placed higher than 6.5 metres (20ft) from the ground.

8. A maximum of two posters per candidate is permitted on any lamp or standard pole.

9. Political parties/independent candidates are reminded that no claims for damages arising from placing, displaying or removal of their posters will lie with the Council and they may consider it appropriate to take out Public Liability Insurance in this regard.

Election posters that do not comply with these conditions or that are erected on Council property prior to the declaration of an election will be removed by the Council. In the event of a breach of the Litter Pollution Act, 1997 prosecutions may be initiated.

After a brief discussion during which John Guckian answered Members queries, the Councillors requested that the Manager examine the possibility of implementing a scheme similar to Dublin City Council’s system whereby posters are removed at a cost to the parties. J. Guckian AGREED to come back to the Members with a report on the feasibility of this scheme in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown.

So if some scumbag has littered outside your house feel free to put this litter in the bin where it belongs. They have to be recycleable so can go in your green bins, though the bastards might have ignored that part too. I am going to take great joy in ripping them all down and handing them to the canvassers outside the polling station, there is often a gardai presence and hopefully I will catch some in the act of putting them up and ask for them to be arrested for littering (not sure if they do though, or if it is just litter wardens?).

I am not sure about other county council rulings, I expect there are similar guidelines which have been ignored around the country.
    These bastards obviously think they are a law unto themselves and can arrogantly put posters where ever they want, endangering people in the process and blocking footpaths, and cycletracks and leaving posters flying about on dual carriage ways into incoming traffic. At whites cross the green party had almost completely covered the pedestrian railings, blocking small children from the view of traffic, very thoughtful... I read of another person whose windscreen was smashed by a flying poster, they are heavy plastic these days.

Why they are not outlawed completely is very strange...

The taxpayer gets NOTHING out of these posters, only the cost of cleaning up the mess and the unsightly look in their area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I was ripping them down and defacing them anyway! But nice to know I was within my rights.

Why should the council remove them? That's a waste of money. Force the Politicians to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Guidelines Relating to the Display of Election Poster

(Note emphisised word)

Mind you I agree they should be just outlawed completly

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why should the council remove them? That's a waste of money. Force the Politicians to pay.
    The parties are supposed to remove them, just like they are supposed to obey the law, but they do neither. There are cable ties left over dangerously at eye level on cycletracks for many years now.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    (Note emphisised word)
    Note this bit
    Election posters that do not comply with these conditions or that are erected on Council property prior to the declaration of an election will be removed by the Council. In the event of a breach of the Litter Pollution Act, 1997 prosecutions may be initiated
    So it is up to the taxpayer/council to remove them because of them breaching these rules. It sounds like different county councils can have different bye laws, sounds like the
    In accordance with the Litter Pollution Act 1997 election posters and ties must be removed within 7 days after polling date
    Applies country wide, they have still not forced them to use branded/identifiable ties so they get away scott free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Guidelines... F*** me...

Councillors in Galway CIty wasted time that could have been used to discuss something important, putting forward motions for candidates to voluntarily refrain from erecting election posters (It may have been in aid of the Ocean Race).

As far as I know, the person who put forward the motion that was carried was one of the first to do the complete opposite of what he/she suggested in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Councillors in Galway CIty wasted time that could have been used to discuss something important, putting forward motions for candidates to voluntarily refrain from erecting election posters (It may have been in aid of the Ocean Race).
    As far as I know, the person who put forward the motion that was carried was one of the first to do the complete opposite of what he/she suggested in the first place.

True it's a joke, but the council in Galway are actually enforcing the guidelines the OP mentioned. Posters that are for example too low on the footpath are removed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you remove a poster, don't forget to put it back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

just a note to add, the people who put these poster's up are some of the most stupidest people ive ever seen in my life. they havn't a clue about the rules for these poster's, they just slap them everywhere they want. there's a few lamp posts down the road from my house, and some moron's had a ladder against it, the other was holding it drinking a can of cider, and the fella on top of the ladder bear hugged his way to the top of the lamp post to put the poster up.
    there was already 6 poster's on the lamp post. he then went onto the next poster.

also to add, he was half parked on the road and the curb 10 feet off a major roundabout while doing so, and caused about 10 near misses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Ripped a few down in the dartry road area a few nights ago. Felt like a right a little knack after but you have cheered me up OP. Thanks. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

just a note to add, the people who put these poster's up are some of the most stupidest people ive ever seen in my life. they havn't a clue about the rules for these poster's, they just slap them everywhere they want. there's a few lamp posts down the road from my house, and some moron's had a ladder against it, the other was holding it drinking a can of cider, and the fella on top of the ladder bear hugged his way to the top of the lamp post to put the poster up.
    there was already 6 poster's on the lamp post. he then went onto the next poster.

also to add, he was half parked on the road and the curb 10 feet off a major roundabout while doing so, and caused about 10 near misses.

Which candidate?
    They're getting my vote!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

snubbleste wrote: »
    True it's a joke, but the council in Galway are actually enforcing the guidelines the OP mentioned. Posters that are for example too low on the footpath are removed
    They should take a wander down Woodquay so ... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

bewleys leopardstown are more like to die as their visabilty has been reduced by ground level posters

coming unto roundabout up the hill from same hotel your ability to see oncoming traffic is reduced by posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

regarding your sig..i read it without moving my head...those that make me a prodigy?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So we're rightfully allowed to take them down without fear of the Gardaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Any guidelines for hanging the actual candidates? Is it ok to hang them anywhere as long as the noose is biodegradable?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am amazed at MORANS who rip posters down. Because I bet you dont have the intelligence to realise that while the posters might be illegal, full of pig ugly mushes, a warning as to who is running for fianna failure the biggest sin I think is littering you do in tearing these down

Oooops Dohhh forgot that one didnt ya! Well done :P:P:P

That_Guy wrote: »
    So we're rightfully allowed to take them down without fear of the Gardaí?
    Not sure, but I presume you are allowed to clean up litter outside your house. This is only DLRCC so might be different elsewhere. You could always say you work for the council as a volunteer litter collector, I know my residents association have clean up days.
    I am amazed at MORANS who rip posters down.
    I am far more amazed with the thoughtless morons putting them up. Most people ripping them down are doing it for reasons, like ones endangering people, many are.
    I think is littering you do in tearing these down

Oooops Dohhh forgot that one didnt ya! Well done :P:P:P
    But it already is litter, so it would be like somebody kicking a broken bottle shards to the side of the road to stop cars getting punctures, they are just moving the already existing, often dangerous, litter. I also mentioned that they also "should" be biodegradable so I expect you could stick them in your green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Someone's been having fun in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dublin County South forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

God election posters are bloody ugly!

Here in France, there are only certain designated places where you can put up election posters, and then only one per candidate. So in a village, there would only be one place. And I have yet to receive any leaflets.

If I was over there, I would be gladly ripping them down with ye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There's an election on?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

galwaybabe wrote: »

Another faceless politician.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

galwaybabe wrote: »

Awesome.

Advertisement