Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Maps of Ireland?

Options
  • 30-05-2009 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a good source of Road maps in Ireland? With all the new Motorway construction all over the Island, my OSI map is hopelessly out of date. Most people today are using satnavs but they are are going out of date fairly fast also. osi.ie hasn't been updated in yonks and the closest I have come to anywhere near accurate mapping seems to be Google Earth but they have only superimposed the new motorways onto the map and the Satellite imaging of Ireland is at least seven years old.

A good online source would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

I don't think there is anything better online at the moment, the osi sat image map is 2005. There has been too many recent motorway developments for them to keep track. On a slightly unrelated note, I live in the middle of nowhere in Munster and the other day a Google Maps car with a funny panoramic camera tripod thing on the roof drove down my little cul de sac and took pics! Fair play to Google for doing their homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

flanree wrote: »
    On a slightly unrelated note, I live in the middle of nowhere in Munster and the other day a Google Maps car with a funny panoramic camera tripod thing on the roof drove down my little cul de sac and took pics! Fair play to Google for doing their homework.

Aw man! You should have taken a photo of the Street View car, then when Street View for Ireland is launched, go and look up your location, and you'd see yourself taking the photo. Like this...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/24/surveillance_feedback_loop/

rickmansworth_feedback_loop.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Go to a Maxol station and buy a 2009 2nd edition map for €2.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Latest OSI road atlas is good. Bundle including Dublin road atlas, Ireland road atlas and leinster town plans in Easons for about 20 euro.

MSN Live maps use a different mapper to Google Maps, may be more up to date.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The OSI apparently had a contract to get the country re-aerial'ed in 2008 but the weather was too **** so it spilled over. Motorways, etc, are easy enough for them to ad but frequently aren't added for a while.

Furet over on the C&T forum swears by the Collins road maps for being the most up-to-date. They have virtually every underway road scheme on them as well as accurate enough data of the open ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Michelin do a decent pocket road map of Ireland, the code is 8712 and there is a slightly more expensive version (0797) that's (sort of) waterproof i.e. it won't fall apart if some rain falls on it. Easons should stock both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

MYOB wrote: »
    The OSI apparently had a contract to get the country re-aerial'ed in 2008 but the weather was too **** so it spilled over. Motorways, etc, are easy enough for them to ad but frequently aren't added for a while.

Furet over on the C&T forum swears by the Collins road maps for being the most up-to-date. They have virtually every underway road scheme on them as well as accurate enough data of the open ones.

There are quite a few problems with OSI maps: aerial photography badly orthorecrified (in India), a seriously wishy washy input system that doesn't have any verification (i.e. mistakes get incorporated into maps and left there till they're manually spotted). Their maps are not used by the satnav makers because the database is too "flat" (i.e. you'd have to buy a load of useless information) and too expensive (€4 billion to buy mapping of Ireland last time I priced). [BTW, the taxpayer paid for all the above]

Currently (from experience) probably the best maps are TeleAtlas, as used by Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,304 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In the car, Michelin and the **new** fold out maps (about 1:250,000 - 4 maps make up Ireland, selection of themes - driving, culture, sport, etc. http://www.irishmaps.ie/product/display.cfm?ProductID=19) are best. Be wary that the Atlas pack may have older mapping in it.

openstreetmaps.org is the most up to date, but least complete. Accuracy is generally good on the sections done already.
    JHMEG wrote: »
    Currently (from experience) probably the best maps are TeleAtlas, as used by Google.
    Not great when you want to be accurate about particular streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

This is the best one around at the moment. It shows all the new motorways that are under construction, and all open ones too (except M8 Mitchelstown to Fermoy, though this, as I said, is shown under construction).

Advertisement