Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Traffic for Concerts

Options
  • 30-05-2009 12:42am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just made my way home from collecting someone from the O2.
    This is the second time in a month I've got myself into this traffic joke.
    What genius is granted the power of closing the port tunnell when there is an event over at this venue?. It defies logic. Plus as the road was still open there was just a stream of traffic heading for the tunnell diverting around the port & back out again. What a joke..:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

The Port Tunnel is often closed at night for servicing etc. They obviously don't ask Harry Crosbie for permission to replace blown light bulbs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

Hamndegger wrote: »
    The Port Tunnel is often closed at night for servicing etc. They obviously don't ask Harry Crosbie for permission to replace blown light bulbs:)

True but you're ignoring the point. Planning permission was initially given for the point ignoring the effect it would have on traffic. Then when the point was rebuilt, planning permission was given (and for a car park) again ignoring the effect on traffic. The tunnel would be a great way of getting large numbers of people away from that area but once again, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, we close it almost every night.

markpb wrote: »
    True but you're ignoring the point. Planning permission was initially given for the point ignoring the effect it would have on traffic. Then when the point was rebuilt, planning permission was given (and for a car park) again ignoring the effect on traffic. The tunnel would be a great way of getting large numbers of people away from that area but once again, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, we close it almost every night.

No I didn't ignore the point.

OP asked why the tunnel was closed, I told OP why it may be closed. I have no doubts that it's a good way to clear the area after an event but it is mainly intended for heavy goods traffic so when that traffic is quiet then they will close and service it:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hamndegger wrote: »
    No I didn't ignore the point.

OP asked why the tunnel was closed, I told OP why it may be closed. I have no doubts that it's a good way to clear the area after an event but it is mainly intended for heavy goods traffic so when that traffic is quiet then they will close and service it:)

It is a total joke that it needs to be closed every night for servicing.
    It is also a total joke that this is not alterted to avert traffic problems.
    After all was that not why it was built.???

koolkid wrote: »
    It is a total joke that it needs to be closed every night for servicing.
    It is also a total joke that this is not alterted to avert traffic problems.
    After all was that not why it was built.???

No, it was built mainly to shift trucks in and out of the docks; other traffic isn't it's priority though I do agree that concert traffic is ideally placed to use it.

From what I do know (which is passing by the tunnel entrance on the airport road at late hours), it is not closed every single night nor is it always closed for long stretches. Servicing in it's case can be something as simple as sweeping papers off of it but it is done at night when it tends to be quieter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This sounds like a typical lack of coordination. The tunnel could be closed from 1am (say) to 5am without affecting concert traffic. Apart from anything else the concert traffic would raise a few Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

OP where you living? decent late night public transport could have done a job here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

OP where you living? decent late night public transport could have done a job here.

Decent late night public transport??
    Have you been to the O2? A walk the lenght of the queys you mean?
    Anyways I was collecting my young daughter & an older cousin so that was not an option.

Advertisement