Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10k to spend

Options
  • 29-05-2009 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    new to camervans/motorhomes :-)
    Have just decided to take the plung and get one.
    My budget is only 10K.....
    What we will be using it for is weekends away in ireland so RHD is fine.

Would like the option of sleeping 4-5 on the odd occasion(mostly myself partner and little boy)

im v mechanically minded but @ the same time dont want to be wasting much time working on one.
    Would have to be well kitted out...shower essential and a decent kitchen and living space.
    So...what are my options??(i have the buy and sell and see heaps in it but maybe you guys could point me towards 2 or 3 models i should be looking at and just as importantly the ones to avoid)
    looking forward to the replies!
    Cheers,
    Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I just moved your other post from the for sale/wanted thread only to find you already opened a separate thread already:D

anyhow ...

My suggestion would be this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...84&postcount=6

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Link not working for me.

kadman

kadman wrote: »
    Link not working for me.

kadman

you're right, it doesn't work ...strange ...

it was supposed to be this
    peasant wrote: »
    Saw this advertised the other day:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1376747

Seems to be a semi-decent price for an irish reg vehicle. It's early nineties though, not 2000 as advertised. (looks like 93 or 95 on the plate)

My motorhome is the same make (Laika) from 89 but with a different layout and I have been very pleased with the quality of the conversion so far. It's not the prettiest, but well laid out and well put together with lots of thoughtful little details.

This one might be worth a look to see how well it's stood the test of time (if you don't mind driving around in something old.)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Seems to be some good deals out there, I suspect that camper prices have come down recently.10 garnd will get you this

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/caravans/901614

176 in the camper section, so its a buyers market, for once.

kadman

Or this,

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/caravans/881237

Or this, for 5.5k,

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/caravans/857767

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cheers guys,seen a few hymers on the buy and sell..a 92 and a 94(u lounge?)
    both for about 12K
    Are these very big/..i have the space to store it but are they huge on the road?
    Cheers,
    Marty

• Advertisement

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Are these very big/..i have the space to store it but are they huge on the road?

They can be, depending on overall size.
    From a size point of view, driving a motorhome (and not "just" a campervan) is much more like driving a rigid truck than driving a car ...you'd want to have your wits about you on narrow roads.

Edit:
    In your case, for just three of you, you might want to consider a slightly less luxurious small van (no shower) to better explore all the nooks and crannies of Ireland and just bring a tent for the occasional "visitors" ...but that's up to you really.

Having made the step from campervan to motorhome not too long ago, I personally wouldn't go back as the extra space and comfort of the bigger vehicle far outweighs the disadvantages that come with the bigger size ...particularly in bad weather when you find yourself couped up inside.

Cheers peasant,
    TBH i like my comforts..we have done heaps of camping and have all the est gear!!..huge tent airbeds cooker..duvets and pillows etc etc!
    Had a trailer tent for a while too but it was a pin erecting it and moving site was offputting but the space was great.
    So im thinking the bigger van might be the way to go.
    What does u lounge mean?
    Also i see posts about over/under 3000kg..waht are the implications of this(i only have a regular car licence B i think)
    Marty

U-lounge is a U-shaped "sofa" in the back of the van with a table in the middle ...converts to a big bed at night.

With a B licence you can only drive vans with a max (gross) weight of 3.5 tons . Anything bigger and you need a C1 licence at least.

There is also the 3 ton unladen issue for VRT, but as you're not really thinking about importing, this is of no concern to you

Ah cheers for that,
    Would a hymer A class require the C1 licence?
    Marty.

Probably not, but to be sure check the plaque that states the VIN number and max weights

• Advertisement

Cheers,
    looking at a few tomorrow hopefully!!
    Marty

Advertisement