Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi drivers being stopped

Options
  • 29-05-2009 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

They were most likely customs officers.They would be checking for green diesel or whatever its called. With the current high fuel prices its likely there would be some idiots who think they can get away with using it. Be warned people, the dye from it stays in your tank for up 6 months. Its just not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

MORE THAN LIKELY SOMEONE IS SUPPLYING DIESEL THAT LETS SAY HASNT PAID ITS WAY WITHIN THE VAT SYSTEM.(RED DIESEL) I THINK IT IS CALLED.THE COPS PUT A CHEMICAL IN THE SAMPLE AND SOMETHING SHOULD / SHOULDNT SHOW UP.CUSTOMS DO IT A LOT ON THE MAIN ROUTES TO THE NORTH FROM TIME TO TIME.:mad::mad:TRAFFIC JAMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

er red diesel...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

A very comprehensive operation indeed.
    Whilst on the surface it appeared to be a joint Garda/Customs operation I noted also a fellow wearing an Office of Taxi Regulator (?) Hi-Viz.

I did not see the Parnell Square checkpoint nut I did see the Stephens Green one and it was BIG !

What I found interesting was the presence of "Suits" in the background observing the process,interestingly the pair I saw were wearing unmarked Hi-Viz...now I wonder who they represented..... :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

the operation was a joint venture between taxi regulator ,revenue , customs ,guards ,
    it was a big one alright .and i was amazed at the amount of taxis that disappeared from the city during the operation .
    i could get a parking space on a rank no problem .the "legit"drivers are still talking about the amount of taxis that seemed to "do a runner " during it .as we all knew that the illigals existed. but did,nt realise how many .
    lets have more of this type of stuff i say

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

customs dipped your tank
    revenue asked for tax details
    taxi regulator checked meter and printer ,plus id cards
    guards checked over cars .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

revenue asked for tax details

Thanks LostMarbles,that explains the "Men in Black"....If this level of activity can be sustained then we may see a bit of order returning to the business,but in the current climate these large scale operations are seen as VERY expensive to mount....I`m only surprised there were no RTE cameras on-site !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

er red diesel...

Red in the UK, Green in Ireland. It used to be red in both areas but it was to easy to smuggle the red across the border, different excises rates between Ireland and UK, to Ireland. So Ireland went green and UK stayed red.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

Sorry to ask what is this red /green diesel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

topdost wrote: »
    Sorry to ask what is this red /green diesel

They're used in agricuture. They're sold without tax, or at least lower tax than road diesel, so they're dyed to try and catch anyone using them in cars. Think they're a lower grade of quality than road diesel too, judging from the soot that comes out of cars using it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

amacachi wrote: »
    Think they're a lower grade of quality than road diesel too, judging from the soot that comes out of cars using it.

It should be exactly the same grade as pump diesel for cars. Should is the operative word here... legally the only difference is the dye.

Ireland changing to green diesel intially created an issue where the UK red and Irish green dyes mixed together to a kind of grey which meant a very quick look at a tank that had been 50/50 filled with agri diesel from both sides looked like "white" (duty paid, normal) diesel. I think we changed the required green dye to fix that.

So means someone not having the right diesel is illegal .?

but is it really really cheap , or are there penies diff.

MYOB wrote: »
    It should be exactly the same grade as pump diesel for cars. Should is the operative word here... legally the only difference is the dye.

Ireland changing to green diesel intially created an issue where the UK red and Irish green dyes mixed together to a kind of grey which meant a very quick look at a tank that had been 50/50 filled with agri diesel from both sides looked like "white" (duty paid, normal) diesel. I think we changed the required green dye to fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

It comes down to this

one litre of white diesel presently retails for €1.01
    one litre of green (agri) diesel presently retails for .45c

Price difference is explained by lower duty on the green diesel and also the vat rate on green diesel is 13.5%,white diesel is 21.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Usually around 25c in the difference.

Oh ok....

Thats a major differece.

And by the read of this post Garda is checking the fuel tanks

Garda .....has got a hard job to do with that may cabs ad others o road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Pretty pointless excercise IMO. Taxis have radios and once one person is pulled over they'll be straight on the radio telling others to avoid the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

waraf wrote: »
    Pretty pointless excercise IMO. Taxis have radios and once one person is pulled over they'll be straight on the radio telling others to avoid the area.

Why would legitmate law abiding taxis who are fighting for a wage tell all the dodgy drivers to stay away from the area where they would be caught? Legit drivers will have no probelms being stopped.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

waraf wrote: »

they had loads and loads of them stopped, so it must have worked pretty well. Good to see them trying to clamp down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why would legitmate law abiding taxis who are fighting for a wage tell all the dodgy drivers to stay away from the area where they would be caught? Legit drivers will have no probelms being stopped.

Of course legit drivers will have no problem being stopped. All I'm saying is that it is common in my experience for taxi drivers to warn other taxi drivers of garda checkpoints

• Advertisement

Thats very true
    Stekelly wrote: »

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So means someone not having the right diesel is illegal .?

but is it really really cheap , or are there penies diff.

If bought at a roadside petrol station, theres a difference of about 25c. If bought in bulk at an agri supplier its more like 50 to 60c.

You don't see it sold at normal petrol stations often. I can think of a few Topaz stations in rural-ish areas (Kill, Gowran being ones I saw recently) that do sell it. Would be "marked gas oil" on the pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

If bought at a roadside petrol station, theres a difference of about 25c. If bought in bulk at an agri supplier its more like 50 to 60c.

You don't see it sold at normal petrol stations often. I can think of a few Topaz stations in rural-ish areas (Kill, Gowran being ones I saw recently) that do sell it. Would be "marked gas oil" on the pumps.

I spoke to a mechanic friend who says that mgo is always top quality. Some farm machinery is extremely expensive and as such if it was a poorer grade of diesel it would damage the engine of a €150k piece of kit. He said the thing to be most wary of is mgo which has been treated to remove the dye as this can do great damage to your engine.

I used to go somewhere for diesel that always had a bigger queue of private cars for the mgo than the legit diesel!

He said the thing to be most wary of is mgo which has been treated to remove the dye as this can do great damage to your engine.

Yeah, the detergents used to remove the dye are always gonna leave nasty stuff behind.

Oh so you mean there are detergents that can make dye go
    Yeah, the detergents used to remove the dye are always gonna leave nasty stuff behind.

Oh so you mean there are detergents that can make dye go

to a point, yes. I believe the marker is still detectable by chemical tests, and the fuel itself is in a very poor state after it cause of the detergent.

There's no way to use it and not get detected if dipped.

Advertisement