Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RC New Trucks & Construction Model Club ?

Options
  • 29-05-2009 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,
    A friend and I are looking to start up an Irish club for RC Trucks, Tractors, Trailers & Construction equipment. (Or is there an existing one?)

I live in both Cork and Dublin so options for meeting dates in both places.

All around 1/12, 1/14 & 1/16th scale , building from scratch or modifying Standard toys (like Bruder, hobby-master etc) and kits like Tamiya Trucks etc and also using them on mini construction sites etc. The idea is as a group we could build and share our experience and then mess around with them.

As an example we are currently converting a 1/12 excavator and a 1/16 Bruder tractor, trailer & Dozer.

So let me know of interested people to start with probably a monthly meeting etc and I can set up a central website.

All ideas welcome??.

In the meantime I will see if I can start a thread on some of the stuff we are building now.

Regards
    Tony.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

sounds a good idea.often go on youtube and drool over the ones posted on there.would luv something like it but that is way down my list of priorities at the moment:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bonisio

I saw a similar club do a demo at the DHI Cup race in Denmark earlier this year. Sound generators on the trucks were very impressive. Was like been on a real construction site. Best of luck with the new club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

if only i had a spare 10 grand:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 maxer

We were in Dortmund this year and just a modelers paradise. But you would need deep pockets for the construction models on show. well worth the trip, but allow 2 days to view.

Our idea is for people who enjoy a challenge modifiying and building (and a bit of craic once a month).
    As an an example the excavator maching I am working cost less than 100.00 new and fully modified and painted will end up less than 400.00 total including a new 6ch radio. But the main enjoyment is building it.

I also fly rc hellies and build 1/12 detailed F1 Models but want to keep those seperate.

• Advertisement

have you got any pictures?

I will start another thread in a few days with some photos of the excavator and the build to date, just to keep this on on track as it mainly about the setting up if the club (if possible) and whoever is intreasted.

this is a snap of it out in the sand before I started to take it apart.

and some of the stuff on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

bugsntinas wrote: »
    have you got any pictures?

I go to Dortmund every year, I made a Youtube video last year. I'm mainly into gauge 1 trains but I like the trucks as well but as you know you cannot do everything and you have to focus on a few things,I like garden railways alot.

Anyway here is the link to my video with truck etc mixed in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmW1p7PJoh8

i've always like the look of that show.maybe when i'm rich i'll go.:D

:p

You don't have to be rich. I'm not rich.:)

• Advertisement

Fly Leary Air to Dusseldorf and get the train to Dortmund, public transport is very good in Germany.

when i have some spare cash maybe but that won't be for a while.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

This thread takes me back!

For a while I used to build excavators and diggers in steel, using the meccano parts system, other M4 steel bolts, and RC motors and servos.
    it's amazing what you can do with the meccano system added to RC parts from other systems, and with eg bicycle chain or other machine parts. the fact that meccano is compatible with M4 bolts and axles, and the half inch hole spacing across all the parts made it extremely flexible to design with.
    This is not mine but gives an idea of recent models on a smaller size.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC5jSrM3MUA
    Mine were bigger, like eg a 4 1/2 foot arm that would dig up the rose bed!

I used to leave the odd one on show at GreenHobbyModel in Harolds Cross, and people would go ooah and aaah over them, but it was very clear that I was the only one doing that particular kind of modelmaking at the time.
    Eventually I drifted back into Meccano tracked tanks and then more conventional models (deep inside you don't want to be too isolated :-) ), and then moved on into working scale ships after.

I never did my then dream model: a steam power giant walking dragline excavator, (something like this but steam power http://little-mountain.com/bigmuskie/ Big Muskie moved rock & earth at 39 million lbs/hour)still have the supermodel plans for it and the others, might get back into it sometime, but there's so many interesting projects to do and so little spare time!

After reading this thread I'm got to thinking ideas of a tracked Poclain. So I rattled up a test piece of M4-Meccano track of the external shoe construction type I used to use, just to see how scale would work out.

P1010125.jpg
    Dimensions side-side
    P1010124.jpg
    Dimensions length of links
    P1010122.jpg
    Outside view of track shoes
    P1010120.jpg
    General effect size and looks
    P1010121.jpg
    Flexibility
    As you can see the Meccano parts partnered with M4 stainless bolts and M4 nyloc nuts works nicely together to make up a 2 1/2" wide track link system, but a 3 1/2" might be more scale with wider links, albeit the model would get sort of big.
    Maybe I'll do a test on a working bulldozer first, but there are several other projects to finish first.

OP: Please keep the thread updated with the progress of the club. Thanks in advance.

it's always been a fantasy of mine to build an excavator for r/c but i don't have the brain cells to do it:confused:
    and now i don't have the money and the kids drive me mad

maxer wrote: »
    I will start another thread in a few days with some photos of the excavator and the build to date, just to keep this on on track as it mainly about the setting up if the club (if possible) and whoever is intreasted.

this is a snap of it out in the sand before I started to take it apart.

and some of the stuff on the bench.

so how are you going to make the arm move,will it be hydraulic or are you going to use the drill bit method,however that is done?

If you are into models, go to Dortmund. It is amazing and allow two days to view it. It didn’t cost us much, stayed near the airport and rented a car for two days. Entry was only 12.00! and about 8 times the size of the RDS.

Coolwings, nice work on the tracks. It comes with rubber ones and I might look to upgrade later. Meccanno is a fairly tempting thought, especially for brackets and stuff. I must look into it and see if I can get some second-hand.

Also the last few days working on our new “Trucks and Tracks” Club website which will have lots of build information.

Just waiting for some more members ??????????

On the Rams,
    Well it would be nice to use hydraulic, but too expensive for me right now.
    I’m using servos I modified to turn 360 degrees linked to auger drill bits and fitted into some aluminium tube. This will allow proportional control from the 6ch radio. I’ve used a servo for the turntable and added speed controllers to the original track motors.
    Then placed a servo switch to allow me to switch to the track motors

So when digging I have the top ram and bucket on the right stick with boom and turntable on the left. When I want to move, just flick ch 5 and then I have RH track on the right stick and LH track on the left stick back forward & reverse

Just working now for a sound module for ch6., Coolwings what did you use for your Tank sounds, any Ideas??

my son has a brudor 360 excavator that i'd luv to try and convert but he wouldn't be happy and i wouldn't have a clue what to do.if you get a website/club set up i'd definately have a look around.my money is very scarce now and i also have classic cars to keep/get on the road aswell.:(

that model that you're converting what's it like to use as it is?

Its pretty bad. Wont dig anything only dust. You can glue the gearbox clutches, but you will still have no control over the front bucket as it is just connected to, and works with the top ram and It wont dig deep either as the boom wont go down enough. With the remote all of the digging is controlled via buttons and the motors are either 0 or 100 on/off.

Here is a link to another one with the same conversion finished. And where I got some of my ideas.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ezYffxc65A

maxer wrote: »
    If you are into models, go to Dortmund. It is amazing and allow two days to view it. It didn’t cost us much, stayed near the airport and rented a car for two days. Entry was only 12.00! and about 8 times the size of the RDS.

I'd second that, I go every year with my model train club, well worth the effort.

Its got everything in models and more, lots of demos and bring the CC as there are lots of model shops with a great selection of gear.

See you in Dortmund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭darrylmalone1

Hi i know this an old post ok very old post but is there any new info on this i am in the process off building a 1/14 scale scania truck and looking for somewhere to bring and drive it any info gratefully appreciated

yes, since the last post we have a group set up. its "Rc Custommaniacs" . there are several public and private events trough the year all over the country.

We have 1/16 scale trucks, trailers, tractors, diggers, loaders and buildings, bridges etc.

the next event is Waterford truck and motor show on the 17th and 18th of May. just bring your truck, even if its not finished you are welcome.

No way we'll done lads il defo try make it down and if yas need a hand with anything il be delighted to help out anything to make it more popular have yous got a website if face book page or anything

Yes it's on Facebook. Just do a search and you can join. The more the better.

Do a search for say Tamiya RC and see what that turns up.

Let us know how you get on.

Yea you can search tamiya rc and find the other page in the friends list

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AndyTierney

Is there a club?? Im looking to start ??and any advice where i can buy and stuff

Yes we have a club Rc Custommaniacs. you will see it on Facebook and they will post any upcomming events. What area of the country are you from and what are you looking to start with?.

For Tamiya trucks there are some local RC shop suppliers, or there is also the usual online auction sites that are worth searching on as you may also see something secondhand bits. Another option is to convert some Bruder equipment and again there are some good online resources that can offer almost unlimited parts for these, especially if you are looking for some construction equipment.

Hi i know this an old post ok very old post but is there any new info on this i am in the process off building a 1/14 scale scania truck and looking for somewhere to bring and drive it any info gratefully appreciated

How did the Scania turn out?

• Advertisement
Advertisement