Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We Have Forgotton What We Are About!

Options
  • 29-05-2009 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I went out recently to a new modern bar which was packed to the brink, nobody could hear anybody and the drinks cost a bloody fortune!! Anyhow, I left pretty soon and walking up the street went into this "traditional" looking pub and god all mighty the craic was unbelievable!

The stories, the singing, the pints. Locals who love to talk to you, the way it used to be... Why are we trying to go so modern?? True Irish pubs is what we are known for... Where you can talk to people. Yet these are the ones which are suffering and rural traditional pubs are closing at a rate of 1 a week!!!

We are a great nation of talkers and love to have a laugh and in a traditional pub is where it can be found. I'm converted, the clubs and modern crap are gone to me... give me a good old fashioned pub anyday!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

mezzdon wrote: »
    m converted, the clubs and modern crap are gone to me... give me a good old fashioned pub anyday!!!

Have you turned 30 recently:p

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

mezzdon wrote: »
    .... We are a great nation of talkers and love to have a laugh and in a traditional pub is where it can be found. I'm converted, the clubs and modern crap are gone to me... give me a good old fashioned pub any day!!!

We have lost some gems of pubs, true, but that is just the way things go ... I wouldn't get too excited over it though. These pubs have been declining in various forms for the last 20 years that I have been drinking in them so it is nothing new. And yet they have not died out as there will always be some demand for these type of pubs but it is all down to demand that these pubs can only survive. There has always been a situation that people want to go to the popular in bars (what ever they are) as that is where everybody else is :rolleyes: and more often than not they end up becoming noisy music blaring super bars. Pack them in, stack 'em up and take their money is usually the motto of the day ;) . However remember Auld mans pubs and traditional pubs have always been around and always will be there are plenty of them around it's just a matter of looking for them. But when your in a group it is always the group that decides and usually that is where the precieved action is. So it's all down to educating your mates to where they should be going. Start the revolution and bring back the Auld mans pub ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

So many 'traditional' pubs stock Bacardi Breezer, Bud Light, Miller, Red Bull etc etc but try getting a Pint Bottle of Guinness or Smithwicks!!!!

The good 'traditional' pubs will survive.
    I shed no tears or the crappy ones that never made an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

oblivious wrote: »
    Have you turned 30 recently:p
    :D I'm past 30 but in our early 20's we still went to auld lad pubs. I hated loud pubs where you have to scream in peoples ears sitting right beside you.

A guy I know was going to Achill Island and sent me this.
    http://www.achilltourism.com/pubs.html
    Lynotts
    Cashel, Achill Island, Co. Mayo.
    Original, traditional Irish pub. No radio. No TV. No phone. No food.
    :)

More and more local pubs in my area are getting musicians in on friday or Saturday to get punters in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement