Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lone Parents to Back to Education Allowance

Options
  • 29-05-2009 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hello,

A friend of mine is currently getting a Lone Parents allowance, but has applied to take up a full time third level course in September.

I know that Back to Education Allowance is suspended during the summer months for those who move on to it from Jobseekers/Unemployment but was wondering if anyone can clarify if this will also be the case with a move from Lone Parents?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

You can tell your "friend" (you maybe:D?!) that she will continue getting her/his One Parent Family during the Summer. If she/he has means, these are disregarded for the duration of her studies.

It is too soon to do anything as yet. She/he should apply for the scheme about two weeks before she/he is due to take up her course. She/he will have to supply a letter from the college stating that they have been accepted on the course, and another letter at a later stage ( usually around November time) that they are attending the course. At that stage a book allowance grant will be paid out (was €500 in 2008/2009 term).

There should be more information available on the Social Welfare website, or the leaflet can be picked up in their local social welfare office or library.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Thanks,

Its actually for a friend - she tends to put things on the long finger and I'm afraid that she'll miss deadlines etc and possibly miss out on getting to go to college if she doesn't get the info together.

Do you know if she will have to reapply for One Parents Allowance each summer or if it will be automatically switched?

Once she is accepted this Sept will she be means-tested each year, or will she continue to get the BTEA even if her circumstances change? (Part time job etc)

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

uoluol wrote: »
    There should be more information available on the Social Welfare website, or the leaflet can be picked up in their local social welfare office or library.

I did check the leaflets but they refer only to summer arrangements for those on Jobseekers Benefit or Allowance before applying for the BTEA payment so wasn't sure and am a little wary of the Social Welfare in case I draw them down on her..

Woudl Citizens information be a good point of call?

Advertisement