Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Commerce

Options
  • 29-05-2009 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im thinking about applying for the masters in electronic commerce. I work in the area of E-Commerce so have plenty experience.

Has anyone done this course and how did they find it?

Closing date for applications is July, does anyone know when people find out when they have been accepted onto the course

Thanks

The Bin Man

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wildhead

Hey man

I am thinking about doing this course, i dont know if your doing this course at the moment, but is you are, do you have any advice??

regards

wildhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

It takes a few weeks between submitting an application and getting an offer. I got accepted for October 2009. Applications operate through the Postgraduate Application Centre in Galway, so information is sent there first. If an offer is made a deposit of €500 must be paid within 2 weeks of accepting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

wildhead wrote: »
    Hey man

I am thinking about doing this course, i dont know if your doing this course at the moment, but is you are, do you have any advice??

regards

wildhead

Hey Wildhead

I havent done the course myself, i've just after applying, send off degree's and such

Fingers crossed now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wildhead

thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

was just accpeted onto this masters, so best luck to rest of yous if your applying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Shaneod21

Reckon it would be a really good masters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

Would I be right in saying the start date is about the 3rd week of September. I was hoping I'd get correspondence from the college about it, but I managed to find the 2009/10 academic calendar instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

I did it in NUIG this year. Its a 2 year course here.
    I really enjoyed it, mainly I.T. a small but business.

Built a fully functioning website with CMS, and a flash production for a fashion company to be distributed as a cd as well as numerous other things.

Got placed in Ericsson in Athlone now, for 90 months, while i do the second year of the course. I loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

there is no connection between the NUIG course and the one in DCU ( Tony, congrats on getting the placement btw , was that organised by NUIG ? )

the DCU Msc is weighted towards business, well there are business and technical streams, most students do the business stream.

its a one year course(12 months)

you will not find Flash,AJAX,Silverlight or any specific CMS technology covered on the course.

most of the tech covered on the course is pre-web2.0

the business side of the course is current and very well thought though.

the course is quite labour intensive, there is a lot of reading required for some of the modules( harvard business journals ), you are expected to deliver presentations and there is a lot of group work ( most assignments are done in groups )

I think the DCU Msc course starts in either the last week of sept or the first week in october.

regards,

Gollem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Would I be right in saying the start date is about the 3rd week of September. I was hoping I'd get correspondence from the college about it, but I managed to find the 2009/10 academic calendar instead.

a lot of the people dealing with the course are probably on holidays at the moment.

as far as I know it doesn't start before the 3rd week in september anyway.

fire off another email to them or email one of the other lecturers associated with the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

See you in the business stream fellas.

I've just finished my M.Sc. in Computer Applications (IS) in DCU and am heading into this now. Theres some web design stuff, nothing more than HTML, CSS, and other handy to learn stuff, and then just general business ends of things. It basically sets you up to be an entrepeneur in the digital age, for lack of a better sentence. I was talking to a lad whos just finished one evening, and he tells me its pretty intensive. About 20 - 25 hours a week, Fridays off. Judging by this year's timetable anyway. Then you've got your group project during the Summer, which is to develop a product, and stick a business plan around it.

From talking to the head of the course, the requirements have dropped to needing a 2.2 honours degree, and theres normally around 40 places on average. A lot of UCD business students apply every year apparently.

StephenM, all office staff and most lecturers should be in DCU most of the Summer. Research and stuff. Not so sure about DCUBS lecturers though. Semester One starts back on September 28th.

Advertisement