Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female cat run over, male acting jealous

Options
  • 29-05-2009 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Long story short. Two cats, two year old, male and female, the DSPCA said they were brother and sister.

Female is homely, affectionate, has bursts of enthusiasm and energy, but generally likes to curl up all day and snooze.

Male is the complete opposite, not affectionate at all, no interest in human interaction, eats, climbs up the walls, shreds everything that can be shredded, pays no heed to anything you try to train him, and by necessity spends most of his time outside, poking around.

Two problems. First, have I somehow been remiss in training some good manners into the male cat, or is there nothing to be done to calm him down?

Second, far more serious. My lovely little homely, affectionate female had an accident, seemingly run over by the wheel of a car and crushed. Upshot is, the vet says she has broken ribs and a broken sternum bone, but no internal organ damage, and given rest, the bones should heal, and she will be grand. But she is a hairline from being put down if she is not allowed to rest to let the bones heal.

Now that shouldn't be a problem, as she is passive normally. But while she is on lots of pain medication, anti inflammatory, etc. she is in bright, lively form, delighted to be home, and poking her nose into everything, and very affectionate still. But it is hard to get her to settle and stay still, she seems even more inclined to poke around and jump up on chairs, tables, etc. which the vet expressly forbade.

Coupled with this, the male cat seems unusually put out, and has mildly attacked her twice since she came home, and is very restless, to the point where he has to be kept apart from her. They were soulmates, and loved chasing each other.

Will their relationship be strained? How can I get her to stay still for a minimum of four weeks? What can I do to calm and reassure him?

Any advice from you knowledgeable cat people? Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Just keep the male out of the way as much as you can.

It shouldn't be a huge deal though coz they seem to know each other fairly well and won't tear into one another =p

The injured female will know her own boundaries, so being boystrous or lively shouldn't be a problem... she'll know when to stop herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

The injured female will know her own boundaries, so being boystrous or lively shouldn't be a problem... she'll know when to stop herself.

Not if she's on painkillers.. her nerves would be dulled and she wouldn't be able to know when she's put too much strain on something right away.

To the OP, is there any way you can set up a small room or large barricaded area with some kind of top and no high objects and a lot of toys so she can't jump or climb on anything for the time being? Would also keep her protected until he gets over his hissy fit (pun unintended.)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Just a thought and not sure if this is ideal but how about a cage to confine the femake to for a few days. (the same type ones that the catteries/vets would have if you know anyone or have one yourself?)
    That way atleast she has to rest and can't move about too much to injure herself.
    Just put in a cozy blankie and a few toys.

Just leave her out a few times a day for maybe half hour periods to do her erm... business:)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

I agree with the cage method cause i have a cat who had to have his leg removed and as his pelvis was shattered he had to be crate rested for weeks but he's as good as new.....but a bit more clingy!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Crate the female, and when she's not crated, keep her to one room with no 'heights' to climb. She'll not be happy crated, but if you can crate her and move her about with you she'll be happier.

+1 to the painkillers masking her own common sense.

Also +1 to the male leaving her alone if she's not quite right, cats are surprisingly good like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement