Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear and Ripwave??

Options
  • 29-05-2009 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, i want to get wireless broadband in my house that isnt connected to a phone line. looking around im thinking ripwave by IBB is looking the best at the moment. If i got Ripwave would i be able to hook this up to a netgear wireless router so that a few people in the house can use it at the same time without plugging it into the ethernet port on the laptop??

As much advice needed as possible. thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

honestly it's not worth networking the connection. Was troubleshooting ripwave for a friend before and the product was piss poor speed wise. If you share it with a few people you may as well be on dial up. It'd take a bit of messing around with but yes it would work with the netgear but as I said, speeds will be terrible. It's 1mb at max speed and you will rarely get max speed and full signal. Unless the coverage quality has gone through a major overhaul.

You may want to consider a better "fixed" product for a few people. If upc are avaliable in your area their broadband may be better suited and it comes via cable so if you have their tv package you could bundle it etc.. Also companies like IBB and Digiweb offer fixed wireless solutions, again, better products, but cost more for the install.

Alternatively a 3g solution may be better than ripwave, but you'd have to get a 3g router if you wanted to share it and again, it's not exactly designed for sharing with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

salouka wrote: »
    Hi, i want to get wireless broadband in my house that isnt connected to a phone line. looking around im thinking ripwave by IBB is looking the best at the moment. If i got Ripwave would i be able to hook this up to a netgear wireless router so that a few people in the house can use it at the same time without plugging it into the ethernet port on the laptop??

As much advice needed as possible. thanks!
    To answer your question, yes, you would be able to hook it up to a netgear, just make sure you get a crossover cable, not a regular network cable. Otherwise it wont work.

honestly it's not worth networking the connection. Was troubleshooting ripwave for a friend before and the product was piss poor speed wise. If you share it with a few people you may as well be on dial up. It'd take a bit of messing around with but yes it would work with the netgear but as I said, speeds will be terrible. It's 1mb at max speed and you will rarely get max speed and full signal. Unless the coverage quality has gone through a major overhaul.

You may want to consider a better "fixed" product for a few people. If upc are avaliable in your area their broadband may be better suited and it comes via cable so if you have their tv package you could bundle it etc.. Also companies like IBB and Digiweb offer fixed wireless solutions, again, better products, but cost more for the install.

Alternatively a 3g solution may be better than ripwave, but you'd have to get a 3g router if you wanted to share it and again, it's not exactly designed for sharing with others.

No Offence, BoB_BoT, I know you were meaning well, but this is something that annoys me about Boards, and discussion fora in general. The OP has said he wants to get X product, and wants to know can he do B with it. And someone comes on and says "No, dont get X product coz its sh1te, get Y product instead because its better".

The OP said he wants a product that does not involve a phone line. I can only assume that the reason he does not want one involving a phoneline is because he is renting or is in some other way mobile. Assuming that is correct, then most other fixed wireless products will be of no use as he has the same if not more hassle moving them, including a 1 year contract. I am also assuming the OP has already taken all of this into account and has decided ripwave is for him.

I shared ripwave over a wifi router sharing among a number of people, and assuming everyone used it for just browsing, and not bittorrent/limewire, it was grand. The speed was not fantastic, but its way better than Dial-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

ok fair enough, I did go off on a bit of a rant, but at the same time I did answer the question, though be it within the rant :P. Also while ripwave isn't a fixed product, it does have a contract (12 months). and I did make a mistake, there is a 2mb product. I'm not going to argue with you, you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    ok fair enough, I did go off on a bit of a rant, but at the same time, I did answer the question, do be it within the rant :P. Also while ripwave isn't a fixed product, it does have a contract (12 months). and I did make a mistake, there is a 2mb product. I'm not going to argue with you, you're right.

Just seen on the site that there is a contract. They must have brought that in recently, when I had mine it was not a contract.

And no, there is no point in arguing about it.

OP, it will work with your router, its not bad, its not fantastic either.

Advertisement