Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claregalway bus corridor

Options
  • 28-05-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

What is the point in spending millions building two miles of bus corridors at the N17 in Claregalway and four miles of footpaths along the only two roads in the village that don't have sprawling housing estates when
    • there is only a skelaton "go when full" few times a day Private bus service charging fares that would cause a riot if applied to the DART
    • no "Private " service south of Tuam after 5.10pm or north of Galway after 6.20pm
    • no "Private" Sunday services
    • No "Private" Bank Holiday services
    • 4 Private Saturday services
    • 2 stopping Bus Eireann services daily between Tuam and Claregalway
    • No Bus Shelter in Claregalway
    • No footpath outside school
    • No footpath outside some housing estates
    The multi million bus corridor which is restricted for 24 hours/7 days a week is nothing more than a private road built at taxpayers expense to facilitate a lousy token bus service to the total exasperation of the thousands of "taxed to death" motorists who queue daily to commute through the village - while the occasional bus smuggly races past on their private road under the protection of cute hoor cops lying in wait to give penalty points and fines to the hapless motorist inclined to sample the joys of the private bus corridor. The bloody thing is giving me bloodpressure on my way in and out of work daily to the extent that I am going to go by the back roads for the good of my health. Baaah Humbug:mad:
    • No Park & Ride Facilities between Tuam and Galway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

You should also post this on the Galway forum, or mods, is it possible to have on both but as on thread?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=475

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You are forgetting two things surely .

1. Frank Fahey loves the idea .
    2. Feda O Donnell !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i thought there was a 2 hourly service to Sligo and the same to Ballina and maybe more...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

yachtsman wrote: »
    What is the point in spending millions building two miles of bus corridors at the N17 in Claregalway and four miles of footpaths along the only two roads in the village that don't have sprawling housing estates when
    • there is only a skelaton "go when full" few times a day Private bus service charging fares that would cause a riot if applied to the DART
    • no "Private " service south of Tuam after 5.10pm or north of Galway after 6.20pm
    • no "Private" Sunday services
    • No "Private" Bank Holiday services
    • 4 Private Saturday services
    • 2 stopping Bus Eireann services daily between Tuam and Claregalway
    • No Bus Shelter in Claregalway
    • No footpath outside school
    • No footpath outside some housing estates
    The multi million bus corridor which is restricted for 24 hours/7 days a week is nothing more than a private road built at taxpayers expense to facilitate a lousy token bus service to the total exasperation of the thousands of "taxed to death" motorists who queue daily to commute through the village - while the occasional bus smuggly races past on their private road under the protection of cute hoor cops lying in wait to give penalty points and fines to the hapless motorist inclined to sample the joys of the private bus corridor. The bloody thing is giving me bloodpressure on my way in and out of work daily to the extent that I am going to go by the back roads for the good of my health. Baaah Humbug:mad:
    • No Park & Ride Facilities between Tuam and Galway

Are you possibly suggesting that even with a bus corridor (that reputedly cost millions - please quantify this statement), people in the west are not prepared to use public transport - this doesn't augur well for usage on the Western Rail Corridor then does it - perhaps you should transfer your comments to that thread as evidence that when it comes to transport - people in the west just love their cars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

westtip wrote: »
    Are you possibly suggesting that even with a bus corridor (that reputedly cost millions - please quantify this statement), people in the west are not prepared to use public transport - this doesn't augur well for usage on the Western Rail Corridor then does it - perhaps you should transfer your comments to that thread as evidence that when it comes to transport - people in the west just love their cars!

True people in the west love there cars too much!! and for good reason, public transport just doesn't justifiy even if you compare the costs of having a car vs using rail and bus.

Even for people to consider using such services, it would have to be the very best in the world, not alone and entire restructure of towns and villages everything would have to contribute to the use of such a network

Anyways let them build a bus lane or what at leasts it's better then doing nothing, I would suggest some service that would also go the airport from Claregalway and Oranmore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

How many non-stop bus services go through Claregalway? The bus lanes would benefit them.

Are the bus lanes using actual carriageway or hard shoulders converted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

There was a previous thread which claimed that Burke's Coaches of Tuam had applied to run extra services using the bus corridor:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055549594&highlight=company+tuam

It takes time for an application to be processed but it looks like there will be big improvements if the application is approved,

Advertisement