Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composting for idiots.

Options
  • 28-05-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭

Grettings fellow environmentalists.

As a result of certain radical changes to my diet (bye bye Coca Cola and chocolate bars and bags of crisps, hello new Tesco juicer w/apples, carrots, berries, limes, cucumbers, brocolli and beetroot) :cool::cool::cool:

BTW the above juices are ****ing delicious and very healthy and I encourage anyone reading this - in the strongest possible terms - to pick up the habit of juicing uncooked fruits and veggies, but be that as it may.

I now produce a small amount of waste fruit and veg pulp every day. I don't usually chuck it in the bin - we have an underutilised field were I live and usually put it there. But that might attract rats if I do it long enough.

But I'd like to know more about getting a proper small-volume composting setup, and I've read about people using composters, wormeries and so on to deal with waste of this kind.

So I'd like to hear from any experts here about more eco-friendly options for dealing with excess food, fruit pulps and so on - ideally anything I buy should be deisnged for small to medium day-to-day volumes, involve minimal maintenance, and not attract pests. Also nothing to expensive.

Problem is, I'm very much in new waters here (in more ways than one), and I really don't know anything about waste disposal other than chucking things in the bin and going to the recycling centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you're simply looking to dispose of it - just dump it in the field.
    If you're looking to make compost for use in the garden, collect it in a heap.
    If you need to maximise your compost making potential, buy a pig/bin and add all of it in there.

To be honest, dumping in a pile is best. It won't attract rats if there isn't meat in it.

Advertisement