Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Enda's Community School

Options
  • 28-05-2009 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Was thinking of sending my child to this school ? What's it like? (discipline etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

NCW feen wrote: »
    Was thinking of sending my child to this school ? What's it like? (discipline etc)

It's probably the worst school in Limerick...that's what it's like. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Haha...you just made my day. Stay well away from that school. That's Limerick official training ground for scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

no. just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Jebus DO NOT SEND THEM THERE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I went to St. Enda's. Great school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What part of Limerick are you in, OP? There may be better choices closer to you. Personally I would not send any kid of mine to St Enda's, as I have been inside it during school hours and was far from impressed with what I saw. I do feel sorry for the kids there that are decent kids though.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I went there and it didn't kill me. Was some time ago, I'm 30 now. I would probably try for another school though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I finished up there in 2002. It wasn't too bad at the time. There was a good bit of scum around but nothing major kicked off much. Just the odd time ;)

Seriously though it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. A lot has changed since i left and i have heard stories both good and bad.

I would suggest going up and having a look around. See what the atmosphere is like!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

YFlyer wrote: »
    I went to St. Enda's. Great school.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    What part of Limerick are you in, OP? There may be better choices closer to you. Personally I would not send any kid of mine to St Enda's, as I have been inside it during school hours and was far from impressed with what I saw. I do feel sorry for the kids there that are decent kids though.
    I finished up there in 2002. It wasn't too bad at the time. There was a good bit of scum around but nothing major kicked off much. Just the odd time ;)

Seriously though it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. A lot has changed since i left and i have heard stories both good and bad.

I would suggest going up and having a look around. See what the atmosphere is like!

There are still better schools out there, much better schools.

The school you went to says a lot on my your CV, believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's probably the worst school in Limerick...that's what it's like. :)

Do you have proof of that or is it just your personal opinion?
    Haha...you just made my day. Stay well away from that school. That's Limerick official training ground for scum.

There's a cohort in most schools that cause problems not just St. Enda's
    Berty wrote: »
    There are still better schools out there, much better schools.

The school you went to says a lot on my your CV, believe it or not.

Not really, if the student works hard, gets good results, plans on going to college, school won't come into it in the general scheme of things

OP- What you should be finding out is the following:
    • What are the average class sizes?
    • Are the classes streamed or mixed? From my experience it *tends* to be the students who do not achieve academically that cause the most trouble. If your child is bright and is put in one of the better classes he/she shouldn't encounter many problems in class.
    • What subject choices are available to students and at what level? I included the school web below but maybe it hasn't been updated recently
    • Are there discipline issues in the school and how are they dealt with?
    • What kind of number are going onto third level from the school, for me that would be one indicator of standards, but it's not the be all and end all.
    • What are the facilities like?
    • The Junior Cert Schools Programme is running in the school (it's an alternative JC for very weak students based on continuous assessment rather than a set of grades in individual subjects). Are these students in with the mainstream class or are they separate, how does it effect the way classes are taught.
    • Oh and I notice that French is the foreign language on offer and is not compulsory for JC. If you want your child to have a full range of universities to choose from make you child do French (or any other foreign language) up to LC, otherwise their choice of colleges is restricted as most of the universities have a language as an entry requirement.
    Go up and have a look at the school yourself, you may find that you like it or dislike it when you visit

http://www.stendascs.scoilnet.ie/index.html

I went to St. Mary's, Corbally myself and it was considered a rough school at the time, it had excellent discipline and I got an excellent education from it, I'm a teacher now myself. I don't think having it on my CV every prevented me from getting a job and if I was back living in Limerick and had daughters, it's where I would send them.

St. Enda's was considered rough when I was going to school (early to mid 90s) so I can't comment on what it's like now, but conversely it was also considered the best school to repeat the Leaving Cert in at the time. So they must have been doing something right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Went there myself in the nineties. The most miserable five years of my life. Suffered a whole five years of bullying right up till Leaving cert (mainly because I was too quiet and awkward for my own good at the time). A cousin of mine who left recently also suffered bullying so I don't think it's changed much in that respect unfortunately:(. There were some sound lads but there were also some horrible, horrible "students" there as well. I remember one teacher from a Traveller background there who got some terrible abuse off students. She didn't last long.

Most of the teachers were grand except for my German and Business Studies teachers. I dropped those two subjects for my Leaving because I didn't fancy spending another two years with those two:(. The Principal when I was there, Mr. O'Connor was absolutely fantastic though. I hear my old PE teacher is the Principal there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Not really, if the student works hard, gets good results, plans on going to college, school won't come into it in the general scheme of things

Thats just wishful thinking. Local employers & colleges have always looked upon which school you went to as a benefit or a drawback. Its just life, snobbish maybe, but life.

As a teacher Im sure you are bound to see a student who applies themself will achieve but, with academic aside, people view the school you went to in an interview(job interviews and college interviews) in the same way they view your address.

St Munchins College for example will appear better than CBS. This is all down to the demographic which attends the school, the press the school gets and the image the school potrays/history. It is not simply all down to the student. You can truly expect to put a child destined for Laurel Hill A in St Nessans and expect the same results.

Parents have been playing this game for years, selecting the best schools, applying before their child is even born in some cases. Good schools bear good children, high achieving children and disciplined children in academics and in some cases sports.

St Marys school was near to St Marys park which is why it attracted a rough element. My own Fiancee was in St Marys and can attest to it being rough. I have seen and have known respectful and high achieving students come from St Marys but I know more who have come from other schools with a better reputation, possibly because I have more friends from these schools it could be said.

The Presentation, or better known as Pregnantation, has the same issues as CBS has due to its demographical area.

This opinion of mine applies to my original comments regarding the choice of St Endas over other schools.

It would be specious to presume that a school in one area of the city/with a certain demographic can perform the same as one in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

They have a new principal as well as a dynamic teaching staff, there are children with issues in every school in limerick.

Look up their website for a flavour of what the school is all about

http://www.stendascs.scoilnet.ie/index.html

St. Enda's Community School provides a scholarship for the 4 top leaving cert students who qualify for a degree course in 3rd level college. The Scholarship encourages students to focus on the leaving cert and provides financial support throughout their 3rd level course.

The students receive €6000 per year towards college expenses.

This is a unique opportunity for St. Enda's students.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I did my entrance exam for that place (Enda's) in 1987 (or maybe it was 88 cant remember which)

I remember even back them it appeared to be just full
    of scumbags. There was one lad giving some abuse to
    one of the teachers that was supervising the exam who eventually got booted out,
    What was shocking at the time
    was he had a bit of a moustach going on, he was either very
    mature for his age, or he was a few years older than the rest of us and only starting secondary school later on in life.

The Cresent Comp used to be the hardest school to get into
    in the city, nowadays I hear its gone to the dogs and rough out.

Ard Scoil always has had a reputation of students getting
    bullied.

Clements have not heard much about the place.

Villiers When I was growing up was
    always known as the posh school that all the best equipment like computers etc when other schools had next to nothing. It was widely referred to as the Prodestants school when I heard adults at the time talk about the place, Not sure where that came from, but there did seem to be a lot of Brittish Kids (Living here) that went to the place when I was growing up.

There is a school in croom(dont know the name of the place) maybe its Coláiste Chiarain. It may sound pretty far away from Limerick City but on my way to work each morning I pass a Load of kids at the bus stop in Raheen
    and they all look respectible enough kids (They look like they were brought up not dragged up)
    and theres a bus to and from the school.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 E.L

I went to this school from 91-96. It started off as mainly country kids and a few from the city but got progressively worse. I had a rock thrown at my head outside the school gate by a scumbag from southill splitting the back of my ear open ,and a broken wrist on another occasion.
    Ive seen girls hold knives to other girls in the toilets e.t.c.
    One of the secretaries is a family friend and said it is unbelievable and more like a school where the kids that no other school will accept get taken in.
    I used to try to defend it but now that i look back the bad points much outweigh the good.
    It would be a cold day in hell before i'd let my daughter attend that s***hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

E.L wrote: »
    I went to this school from 91-96. It started off as mainly country kids and a few from the city but got progressively worse. I had a rock thrown at my head outside the school gate by a scumbag from southill splitting the back of my ear open ,and a broken wrist on another. Ive seen girls hold knives to other girls in the toilets e.t.c.
    one of the secretaries is a family friend and said it is unbelievable and more like a school where the kids that no other school will accept get taken in.
    It would be a cold day in hell before i'd let my daughter attend that s***hole.

I know I’m quoting you all evening, I have 2 Daughters 3 and 5, I also dread to think which secondary school they will attend, and of course it will not be St Endas but the choice out there is anything but appealing.

Great minds think alike !!!

Remember the ex-Principal Patrick O'Connor allowed his daughter to go to school there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I went there in similar times, when "chuck" was headmaster, and ya it was a rough enough school, but was fine. or was for us at the time!

phill106 wrote: »
    I went there in similar times, when "chuck" was headmaster, and ya it was a rough enough school, but was fine. or was for us at the time!

Hey, Stop Right There Now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Went to Sextons St CBS myself - cannot speak highly enough about the place. Vast majority in it were from Rathbane, the Boro', Garryowen etc. with a few coming in on buses from the county. Never ever had the slightest trouble there. Not sure what the story is with it now as i have left Limerick for some time.

My sisters went to the Presentation Convent next door and they had high regard for there. My two nephews are currently in Munchin's which seems to be very very good.

Enda's is a kip and always was. I remember it when it first opened and it didn't take long for the scobie element to raise its ugly head and take control. Just take a look at the surrounding vista from the school gates - that should be enough to decide that it is no place to send your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

NCW - Can I make a suggestion - have a look at Colaiste Chiarain in Croom.... Granted atm it's a main school and prefabs - but it's acquired new land and there's a new school being built soon - my two eldest ones go there (LC and JC - next yr) and they're happy out - the teachers are fair - it can be expensive but what school doesnt ask parents to put their hands in their pockets....the results from the exams are always good and there are lots of extra curricular activities for the children - just my 2c....best of luck :D

phill106 wrote: »

Hey Phil, what I said is what chuck used to say when he was in St.Endas. All the best Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

YFlyer wrote: »
    Hey Phil, what I said is what chuck used to say when he was in St.Endas. All the best Ray

"Right now peePOLLL!" He used to say that quite a bit
    as well. Despite the scum element in the school he was a real sound, fair fella. His LCBEI project has been a huge help for people college students from the Southill area. At the risk of being a brown-nose I must say I have nothing but respect for the man:cool:

I remember my old science teacher as well, Mr.O'Meara. "FOLKSS, ARE WE AMEOOOSED TODAAY? ARE WE SUURRE?" And Jippo the grumpy PE teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Went to Sextons St CBS myself - cannot speak highly enough about the place. Vast majority in it were from Rathbane, the Boro', Garryowen etc. with a few coming in on buses from the county. Never ever had the slightest trouble there. Not sure what the story is with it now as i have left Limerick for some time.

My sisters went to the Presentation Convent next door and they had high regard for there. My two nephews are currently in Munchin's which seems to be very very good.

Enda's is a kip and always was. I remember it when it first opened and it didn't take long for the scobie element to raise its ugly head and take control. Just take a look at the surrounding vista from the school gates - that should be enough to decide that it is no place to send your child.

Left CBS for the last time yesterday :(

It's amazing how much the school has changed since I started in 04.
    I wouldn't send my kid there....heck if I've to repeat the old LC....im not going back there.
    Having said that though, the teachers in there are excellent but the discipline is the problem.
    I'll miss it though

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

LB6 wrote: »
    NCW - Can I make a suggestion - have a look at Colaiste Chiarain in Croom.... Granted atm it's a main school and prefabs - but it's acquired new land and there's a new school being built soon - my two eldest ones go there (LC and JC - next yr) and they're happy out - the teachers are fair - it can be expensive but what school doesnt ask parents to put their hands in their pockets....the results from the exams are always good and there are lots of extra curricular activities for the children - just my 2c....best of luck :D

I have a Jc and a Lc going there, and that new school was promised when the LC was in first year, absolute joke, there was some chance of it being built 6 years ago, but no chance now....:(
    And Jippo the grumpy PE teacher.

Gippo was my year master in Endas, and PE teacher, a p*rick.

Got a great love of maths from Mr. Wallace, great teacher, tough but fair, he's principle of Castletroy Collage now.

Loved Endas back in the day, don't know wot it's like now, but I hear the top 4 Leaving Cert students win a full degree scholarship, and class sizes are very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Gippo was my year master in Endas, and PE teacher, a p*rick.

Ha I did not know he was a P.E teacher! He was vice principal when I was there and became principal when I was in 6th year! But didn't last the full year!

Mod Edit: Libellous Post Removed.

You can't make accusations like that on a public forum.

E.L wrote: »
    Mod Edit: Libellous Post Removed.

You can't make accusations like that on a public forum.[/quote
    Ok apologies for "making accusations " but i did not use anyones name and just told it how it was!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Rockshandy90

I know this is irrelevant to the original post since it was 4 years ago but just so everyone knows i was in the school recently it looks as if its been done up recently. I would send my child there, there's a scholarship there now worth I think €6,000 if you go to college. Are there any schools where there isn't the odd rough kid? I'd say if ur interested go take a look for urself, the teacher i was talking to was really nice anyways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement