Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choker Chain

Options
  • 28-05-2009 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭

how old would a dog have to be to use one?

its a GSD, he's fine with me on the lead. But knows he can get away with pulling on the lead when out with others.

or would u recommend against using one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mairsmi

I don't think choke chains are the best way to train a dog not to pull.

there are much better collars on the market which don't hurt the dog but are as if not more effective.

Have a look at either Gentle Leader or Halti head collars. Both work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

I don't recommend using a choke chain...they have very little of the desired effect anyway.
    As Mairsmi advised, get a Gentle Leader or Halti head collar, they're kinder and more effective (I believe the Dogmatic headcollar is considered one of the best)

My own recommendation would be a Canny Collar. Watch the video on the right of the homepage to see it working http://www.cannyco.co.uk/index.php

I know of someone who got it a few weeks ago for a pulling Collie and they're amazed with it, it does exactly what it says on the tin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

cheers thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭igglou

I second the Canny Collar. My 3 were like steam trains dragging me along but after I had my baby I knew being dragged with a buggy was not an option so bought 3 of the canny collars. 2 years on and I rarely have to use them any more as my dogs know not to pull any more.

web site the only place to get em?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

the dogmatic headcollar is excellent as well:)

TechnoPool wrote: »
    web site the only place to get em?
    I'll find out where the girl I know got hers and post back here later

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'd use a Halti instead

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

You can buy the head collar at the dspca http://www.dspca.ie/shop/halti-head-collar-p-86.html
    And get the satisfaction that you have also supported a worthy charity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

TechnoPool wrote: »
    he's fine with me on the lead. But knows he can get away with pulling on the lead when out with others.
    I don't think it's the dog that has the problem.
    How about training the other "leaders" ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Hi

I know choke chains get bad press, but I have to say I've no problems using a choke. I did find with one of my dogs I only needed to use it for a short time, ( he was never walked ) then after some more training he's now fine on a normal lead.

I personally do not like halters, they are for horses, or anything else that goes on a dog's face.

Most problems do not originate with the dog and usually the right training sorts them out.

goin give the canny collar a go, seems to be the most user friendly.

thanks for the answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

cloudy day wrote: »
    Hi

I know choke chains get bad press, but I have to say I've no problems using a choke. I did find with one of my dogs I only needed to use it for a short time, ( he was never walked ) then after some more training he's now fine on a normal lead.

I personally do not like halters, they are for horses, or anything else that goes on a dog's face.

Most problems do not originate with the dog and usually the right training sorts them out.

Not meaning to nit-pick, but...
    I did find with one of my dogs I only needed to use it for a short time, ( he was never walked )

If he was never walked then he may not have known any better- Had he ever been trained to walk properly on a lead in the first place? Did you have him from when he was a puppy?

Says who? Halters are far kinder. They work on the basis of the fact that it's physically difficult for a dog to lean all his weight into it (because it's on his head).
    A choke chain works on the basis that a dog can easily lean all his weight into the collar (because it's on his neck), and when he does, he gets choked.
    "They are for horses" sounds very narrow minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

well duh. I hardly had him from a pup and never trained him now did I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

well duh. I hardly had him from a pup and never trained him now did I.

I don't know. Did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Hi

Same here i have used check chains all my life if used corretly there is no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Giddy_fairy

where in Dublin can get the canny collar
    the great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Morganna wrote: »
    Same here i have used check chains all my life if used corretly there is no problem

Choke chains were recommended to me by dog trainers. Iv never had any problems using them either.

where in Dublin can get the canny collar
    the great

You can buy them online directly from the Canny Company: http://www.cannyco.co.uk/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,1/Itemid,98/

Breffni House Pets in Dublin is listed as a supplier on the Canny website, but they don't seem to have a site of their own so you may not be able to order online from them.
    They're in Windy Arbour, Dundrum, Dublin 14. Tel: 01 2961339 Email: breffnihousepet@eircom.net

Advertisement