Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are you voting for

Options
  • 28-05-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

I am not looking for people to say the names in the thread if they do not want to, but the poll is simply a take on which parties people are leaning towards in the local election, and of course the votes are private so nobody can see who voted for which option.

I am just curious to get an idea of how things are, using us here in the Limerick forum as a guide.

Which way will you vote? 49 votes

FF
    0% 0 votes
    FG
    6% 3 votes
    LAB
    28% 14 votes
    SF
    30% 15 votes
    GRN
    6% 3 votes
    IND
    2% 1 vote
    Unsure as of yet
    18% 9 votes
    Not voting at all
    8% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Interesting so far. No FF or SF votes as of yet.

With 27 people voting so far, it is now starting to take shape to look at the % breakdown.

Here is the % of the vote that each party has so far.

What I am curious to see is how close do the % breakdowns here come
    to what they will be next week after the local election.

I really cannot see the FF % staying that low in Limerick tbh.

FF 3.70%
    FG 29.63%
    LAB 29.63%
    SF 7.41%
    GRN 3.70%
    IND 14.81%
    Unsure as of yet 3.70%
    Not voting at all 7.41%

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I wondering about the 3 so far who decided they will not vote.

What are the reasons for not voting, without me trying to challenge your decision?

Is it not being registered to vote?
    Not knowing the manifesto of your specific candidates?
    Not being interested in voting because you feel it is all a farce?

Or something else.

I was expecting a much higher % for the not voting option to be honest. Mainly because of the fact that national voting days normally only averages between 45% to 55% of those able to vote, with the rest not voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I wish there was an option on the ballot to officially spoil my vote, i don't want to vote for any of the candidates but I want to vote to exercise my democratic right. Unfortunately all the candidates make me want to gouge my eyes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I wish there was an option on the ballot to officially spoil my vote, i don't want to vote for any of the candidates but I want to vote to exercise my democratic right. Unfortunately all the candidates make me want to gouge my eyes out.

Just give everyone a 1...spoiled.

Use the not voting option for the spoiled vote, as a spoiled vote is not voting for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Yes but the problem still exists that one of the people on the ballot will still get elected. I wish that there was a box you could tick that says none of the above should be elected. If this was the case along with mandatory voting this might mean that we actually get the right people representing us.

Yes but the problem still exists that one of the people on the ballot will still get elected. I wish that there was a box you could tick that says none of the above should be elected. If this was the case along with mandatory voting this might mean that we actually get the right people representing us.

Ahhh I thought you were saying there was no option in the poll here for it, when you meant in real life.

I do agree with you on that though, there should be an option where a person can vote for none of the available candidates, and if enough people voted that way, better candidates would have to be put forward by the parties.

Of course it would be a logistical nightmare to have that system here in Ireland, but it does have it's merits. At least that way the candidates being voted for would be ones that the voters wanted to vote for, rather than asking voters to chose the best of a bad bunch so to speak.

The latest % breakdown of the poll. Most parties are holding their own since the last time I posted the breakdown, with two parties that has large changes to their last %. FF have doubled their last %, which makes me suspect come the day of the vote that their % will be much higher again, and the Greens lost about a third of their % since the last check.

FF 7.50%
    FG 27.50%
    LAB 25.00%
    SF 7.50%
    GRN 2.50%
    IND 15.00%
    Unsure as of yet 5.00%
    Not voting at all 10.00%

• Advertisement

The poll is now closed and the votes up to the last day before the election came up with the following % breakdown.

If it turns out anything like that, it is a serious message to those currently in power and they can thank their lucky stars that it is not a general election, no doubt if it was, there would have been huge announcements of improvement in the country and it's finances in the run up.

I still personally think that FF will do better in the real vote than what they have done here, although they will not be getting my vote. I do think that we will have a nice little cross section of Limerick folk in our poll though, with people from different areas voting.

Will be interesting to watch in the days after the elections to see how close the % breakdown in this is to what actually happens.

FINAL % BREAKDOWN

FF 5.66%
    FG 26.42%
    LAB 28.30%
    SF 5.66%
    GRN 1.89%
    IND 16.98%
    Unsure as of yet 7.55%
    Not voting at all 7.55%

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

sorry I missed this Poll, good idea
    I will be giving my number 1 to Cllr Cormac Hurley (FG).
    In european elections I will give my top vote to an "Independent".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I was going to vote for one person who called to my house over the weekend, but I realised today, that he's not even in my constituency!! So why the **** did he call to me house for my vote!! The stupid plank!! I'll be voting for anyone but FF!!

Advertisement