Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limericks Dumbest Candidate?

Options
  • 28-05-2009 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Well if you've been reading any of the local newspapers you'll be aware that some of Limerick finest idiots actually have some stellar opinions and commendable intent to go with their cool and groovy election posters......

- The sheer coincidence involved in each and ever one of them suddenly getting off their piles a few weeks ahead of the elections to get their "good works" published in the Limerick Post or Independent newspapers is jaw-dropping; It can only be assumed that they spend the rest of their time spending the tax take for their salaries in the South of France.

But which of these idiots has the most fake, dishonest, shameless, insincere, nonsense so called news story?

I was a bit disgusted by the picture of some previously unknown, unheard of and presumably disinclined candidate who in the last weeks of the election campaign decided to march a group of what was described as "Congalese Nationals" around the Streets while he idly pointed at posters for them to remove...... WTF.......? God know what concessions these poor people may have been offered in return for their participation in this sorry saga.

Yes we need someone like this to represent us, legislate for us and just generally fit in nicely with the rest of the slack-jawed Cretins we like to vote for in this Country......

P.S. Can't find a link - can anyone please oblige!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Who is the candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

My vote for dumbest candidate would be for the Fine Gael candidate who came out and said that all immigrants were contributing nothing to Ireland and still refuses to say otherwise.

Some of his leaflets have been comedic gold to read. If you can forgive the fact that someone in the public eye has no problem with doing up bog standard hand outs with very little punctuation, basic spelling errors like mixing up "there" with "their". There is still the matter that he refuses to discuss any local issues, even for the estate he lives in, and his whole campaign is based around how he has had his pictures in the local papers many times, which he thinks proves he is "working hard for the people"

Once the election is over he will go back to his normal habits of staying out of sight and walking with a mobile to his ear, even though it often rings while he is pretending to talk to someone in it.

Defo not the brightest bulb on display. There are a few others that spring to mind, like the one mentioned by the OP.

Berty wrote: »
    Who is the candidate?

He is hard to miss, he went to the papers complaining about posters in empty unit windows, and then plastered his own posters all over town, including on the windows of empty units. The irony was lost on him methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Who is the candidate?

I know - sorry to be posting without the specifics!!! All I can say is that he looked exactly like the rest of them a mid-fifties, round, walking heart-attack in a cheap suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ya I read about that poster guy in last weeks post. He claimed that the Africans had removed all the posters from ghostPatrick St. The thing is I drove past there a few days ago and the poster situation is as bad as ever. Hmmm, do you want lies with that claim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

name these people!!

seriously it is a joke just looking through this weekends post is a F**CKING strain on the eyes.. page after page of overweight armchair warriors trying to pass themselves off as election candidates.. do these people honestly expect to get our votes!! especially when we only hear of them for these few weeks and then they retreat back to there local boozer where they proceed to spend any money they can swindle from our economy. Except for one guy who cant stop trying to get media coverage in the papers and german tv constantly going on about how he is trying to take action regarding limerick issues..

wake up people none of our locals problems are being solved.. they are only being made worse by these people.. hence the opera centre, bad road planning, bad roads, no jobs, ugly posters littering our city and much much more.. i know the elections going on now may not have anything to do with these issues but when all is said and done these guys still represent the parties who shouold be doing something about it..

Is it just me or does every half ar*ed wannabe business man in this godforsaken place have a slight glimmer of local government in his eye..

i for one wont be voting as i dont believe any of these people will do anything for me or my family..

What about this?

I was in Killarney today and saw a branded jeep for a local councillor with speakers on the roof on the Cork Road blatantly tearing posters of other candidates down and leaving them on the ground. Im talking around 15-20 posters big and small.

I reported this to the Gardai who called me back and said they have the registered address of the vehicle and will follow up and give a verbal warning as although its criminal damage it lies within the realms of the electoral registrars.

They called me back 1 hour later saying the councillor is prepared to sue me for slander and will happily make a statement regarding the same.

As I dont drive around the streets with a camera on me it is my word against a councillors so thats it really.

What about this?

I was in Killarney today and saw a branded jeep for a local councillor with speakers on the roof on the Cork Road blatantly tearing posters of other candidates down and leaving them on the ground. Im talking around 15-20 posters big and small.

I reported this to the Gardai who called me back and said they have the registered address of the vehicle and will follow up and give a verbal warning as although its criminal damage it lies within the realms of the electoral registrars.

They called me back 1 hour later saying the councillor is prepared to sue me for slander and will happily make a statement regarding the same.

As I dont drive around the streets with a camera on me it is my word against a councillors so thats it really.

Would love to see him try and get that so called slander case off of the ground. All you did was report damage being done and gave the reg number of the vehicle you saw the person using. You are no point said you saw the councillor himself doing it.

Typical of what we have in this country as councillors though, full of ****e and self importance, with very few of them out to do what their roles suggest they are for.

I had one from FF at the door yesterday and when I was asking about things like anti social behavior in the area and poor road conditions in the area, he said that was nothing to do with the local elections and that he was looking at the bigger issues like the recession. I pointed out to him that those running for local elections were meant to be the ones that would be sorting things at local level and he was having none of it. So I said that he was only wasting my time then, and that I would speak to candidates that knew what they were asking for votes for. He then tried to hand me a flyer and I said I did not want it, so he said he would leave one anyway, so I told him if he left it on my wall I would report him for littering as I had already told him I did not want his junkmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

What about this?

I'm pretty sure slander require publication in some form e.g. a public speech. You making a legitimate complaint in saying it to a Garda is not slander.

If it was the case, anyone making a complaint to the Gardai would be guilty of slander.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

What i worry about is, if there are any legitimate candidates that ARE running because they actually care about whats going on around them, they will be swallowed up in the 'ah theyre all the same' brush.

Are there any candidates that actually work for their position?

I've never heard of half these people until they stick their "Im brilliant me" leaflets into my letterbox, or if Im lucky enough, come calling with my neighbours in toe blatantly asking for my vote, without even trying to justify why I should vote for them.

I hope for the day when a candidate calls out of election time and ask me if there is anything he/she can do for us.

• Advertisement

I got a knock at the door the other night from FF people.

But wait, not actually FF people. Just supporter of FF coming knocking on my door looking for me vote for a FF Candidate.

I looked around for him but there was no sign. They said " Can we give you this leaflet? ".

"Yeah, I will read it later".

After they left I was thinking what I should have said was

"Oh, are you here to apologise?"

So far there has only been one that has called to my door that actually made me feel like he was listening to me, and that he had some interest in doing anything about it, and since he first called to the door two weeks ago, he has called again since, and was able to give me a typed out list that he was sending out to houses in the Ballinacurra and Dooradoyle area with a list of what issues that were brought up the most at the doors and what issues he would focus on.

There was no big speech at any time about how great he is, Jim Long you should pay heed, no attempts at avoiding talking about local issues, FF candidates take heed, and he generally came across quite well.

The name of the guy is Joe Leddin, and he has been the only one to my door that has made me feel like he is making any effort in his campaign.

I prefer to speak with the candidate in question when I get a knock on the door, and I expect them to be able to discuss whatever local issues I bring up with them. Too many seem to think that getting their faces in the Post every week or having loads of posters up is enough to get a vote. Too many seem to think that the "shure I'm a local lad" speech is worth my vote. If anyone wanst my vote, then they have to show me that they will listen and act on issues, and not preen and posture.

Sleipnir wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure slander require publication in some form e.g. a public speech. You making a legitimate complaint in saying it to a Garda is not slander.

If it was the case, anyone making a complaint to the Gardai would be guilty of slander.

And the stupid guard should have know this in the first place!! what a waste of garda resources on the election candidates part..

I think it was Billy Connelly who once said [paraphrase] "Would you please stop voting for Politicians, for Gods sakes it only fúcking encourages them"

- I'm just wondering when we are going to see the logical, articulate, capable, admirable, efficient Politicians - you know the ones who don't look like they hang around the Dogtrack eating buuuurgers and picking at their anus all day, who don't fail at life and who don't wheel around wheelbarrows of shít promises come election time and sleep off a hangover 16 hours a day at all other times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Maurice Quinlivan over Cronin and Kiely any day of the week. He actually makes an effort and gets results. He also doesn't try and take credit for other peoples work.

Here's two threads that might make people reconsider supporting Maurice Quinlivan and his cronies.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055577197

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60391148&postcount=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

anyone read the blurb for Richie Smith Independent in the Limk Post. Is it a windup??

seachto7 wrote: »
    anyone read the blurb for Richie Smith Independent in the Limk Post. Is it a windup??

Is that the bit on page 26? That picture is about the cleanest I have ever seen the man.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?referral=other&refresh=iD069pR1sY03&PBID=16d2df0b-b84b-4602-a4f3-05634de2cff3&skip=

Kess73 wrote: »

Yeah page 26 - just ahead of the page headlined "Crows prey on elderly Ballynanty Woman"

- Can anyone please tell me what business Richie Smith is running???

Raiser wrote: »
    Yeah page 26 - just ahead of the page headlined "Crows prey on elderly Ballynanty Woman"

- Can anyone please tell me what business Richie Smith is running???

He was involved in a few ventures. Richie Tyres was/is his (original site burned down under dodgy circumstances, so don't know where new site is), plus he has farmland that he uses and also land that he leases. His fingers were in a few other pies, but am not 100% on whether he still is involved with them, so will not mention names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Interesting to see a well known business owner around William St running under the FF ticket. Cant say i've ever heard him make any noise regarding local issues before, but hey, the money's good. Businessmen and FF - a match made in heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

Did anybody spot the piss-take of Joe "bass" Shanahans poster? Joe's tag line is "a man with a plan". the poster put up under his on athlunkard street was just a picture of some lad hiding behind an icecream cone with the line "a man with a cone".
    looking at joe shanahans posters, i think his line should be " a man with a gallstone"

anybody see the posters for the icon saying

"vote icon"
    seven nights a week?

surley thats against the law.. first i thought u couldn't put posters up on public signage..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Only one candidate has made any real attempt or actually had anything to say on local issues here in my ward. He's a FF which i didnt think id be voting for, but i want this guy to represent me - James Collins (of Collins bar) . i know he's gotten Willie O'Dea to use his powers to make some changes after listening to people on the door, impressive for someone who isnt in office yet (although i do understand it was willie who did the work i guess). he's also been talking about the park and hasnt mentioned the county - hate having to vote for Limerick County Council but it looks like this guy cares about the area (its where he lives, his business is, etc).

I prey the biggot Jim Long and the Richie Smith guy (Animal Cruelty) dont get elected. I hate all these politicans talking about issues they cant change in the office they are running for - really bugs me.

/rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Only one candidate has made any real attempt or actually had anything to say on local issues here in my ward. He's a FF which i didnt think id be voting for, but i want this guy to represent me - James Collins (of Collins bar) . i know he's gotten Willie O'Dea to use his powers to make some changes after listening to people on the door, impressive for someone who isnt in office yet (although i do understand it was willie who did the work i guess). he's also been talking about the park and hasnt mentioned the county - hate having to vote for Limerick County Council but it looks like this guy cares about the area (its where he lives, his business is, etc).

I prey the biggot Jim Long and the Richie Smith guy (Animal Cruelty) dont get elected. I hate all these politicans talking about issues they cant change in the office they are running for - really bugs me.

/rant over

While I don't mean to drag dynasties into a debate where you're being positive, the Collins family is one that has been one of the most influential and positive political forces in Munster politics for over 60 years. Not in doing anything major, but in ensuring the small things got taken care of. I've done a bit of work with Niall, I can vouch for Gerry's passion for public office. The family is also very keen on a sense of fair play. If they weren't Brian Crowley would never have gotten on the ticket in the old Munster constituency.

The party is very rarely a deciding factor for people, and if it is, it comes way below the work of the candidate and the perception of people having "someone like that" representing them.

I have no doubt in my mind that James will not only take a seat, he will take the first or second seat. A name will only do so much for you, but you have to put in the work to get elected, Niall will vouch for that.

[aside] Are there Jim Long posters in Dooradoyle?? He's not even running there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ladowack

ninty9er wrote: »
    While I don't mean to drag dynasties into a debate where you're being positive, the Collins family is one that has been one of the most influential and positive political forces in Munster politics for over 60 years. Not in doing anything major, but in ensuring the small things got taken care of. I've done a bit of work with Niall, I can vouch for Gerry's passion for public office. The family is also very keen on a sense of fair play.
    Ya I hear they love fair play allright, so much so that they allways pay all there tax ...........oh wait a minute the judge did'nt say that did he?.

Also i hear they like to sell appts in dooradoyle to the HSE so that they can house our more colorfull limerick families. Ya Vote Collins they look after you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

what i cant stand is people just throwing them into the letterbox, and even if they call to the door they are mostly only representitives of these people..the people that would get my vote (bar ff) are the councilers who actually go to the trouble of shaking my hand and chatting to me..not those speaking on behalf of them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

What about this?

The councillor is talking bollix. he can't sue you for slander unless you publish/broadcast his details publically.

You reported a criminal act, and the Gardai investigated it. The only thing the councillor can do is disprove the events in court The case would be between either the state, or the local authorities environment department.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

seachto7 wrote: »

He wants to cut the bull, and has plenty of experience with inflicting suffering on bovines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Will James Collins lower the price of a pint though...He will in his hole....:rolleyes:

Advertisement