Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop - advice on where/what to buy in Limerick

Options
  • 28-05-2009 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I am thinking of getting the better half a new laptop for his birthday as he dropped his recently and it has been acting up since then.

I don't want to buy a Dell one as I have one of them and I have had a few problems with it. Actually the computer is grand but I hated having to talk to the foreign help centres where they called me madam and made me repeat everything about six times because they could not understand a word I said. In the end I didn't bother getting it fixed the last time and have loads of keys missing from the keyboard because I just couldn't be dealing with them. Could go on for hours but won't.

Anyway, where would I get a fairly decent one over the next few days for not too much money no more than about €700 anyway? Saw some in Tescos for €599 - are they any good? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

It all depends on what he uses it for really, if its just for browsing and email then some of the smaller machines would be good. If hes a gamer then your talking big and powerful, its a very open question. Perhaps have a look at the laptop section here, the people there offer good up to date advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How long is a piece of string?

What is his current notebook?

Model?
    Hard Drive Size?
    Memory Size?
    Operating System(XP/Vista)?
    Type of Cd/DVD/Blu drive?
    Size of screen?
    Processor(Pentium)and Speed of same?

Tesco tend to sell ACER which are all good and well but have the same backup as Dell, Asian.

I have a Dell notebook and I dont like dealing with Dell support but I figure, how often will I be dealing with them?

Just kick and scream on the phone and you will get what you want. They wanted €80 to "help" me fix my notebook which they sent to me damaged. Cheek :mad:

15 minutes later they were posting me reinstallation CDs for free with free support. :rolleyes:

When you buy from Harvey Norman, Pc World etc you get generally older life systems whereas Dell as very uptodate. And If buy from Dell around the end of their financial quarter you get even better deals.

You might consider a netbook instead of a notebook

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iedhs1&kc=NRSB1002&l=en&m_30=181177&oc=N05B1001&rbc=N05B1001&s=dhs

from only €289.98 with ubunto instead of windows. This is the only downside if you want a cheap system.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Have to very highly recommend Soundstore, located in the delta retail park behind pj matthews/former pat keogh bwm premises.

Very friendly salesman, and tend to know their stuff. Would highly recommend their HP laptops, have bought 2 from them and have had no problems with them - they were cheaper than the alternatives at PC World.

Plus, theyre 100% Irish so you'll be doing your bit for the country ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 samhain's son

Thanks for the replies, I was too late, he bought one yesterday in William Street. Think it was just that his had stopped working altogether and he was in town and couldn't face waiting any longer. It was a Dell one though so maybe some money came back into Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks for the replies, I was too late, he bought one yesterday in William Street. Think it was just that his had stopped working altogether and he was in town and couldn't face waiting any longer. It was a Dell one though so maybe some money came back into Limerick?

Not likely most if not all are built in Poland these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Too late now anyway but I personally would never buy a laptop from a bricks and mortar store. My laptop was several hundred euro cheaper from online from Pixmania than an equivalent spec locally.

Advertisement