Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Cats are messing up my flowerbed

Options
  • 27-05-2009 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Has anyone advice on how to get rid of cats from my garden?

I got my garden redone last year and put mulch on my new flower bed.
    Two neighbours cat and 1 stray cat are using my flower bed for toilet reasons BUT while doing their business they are constantly kicking the mulch out onto my grass. As a result the mulch thrown onto the grass is killing the grass and the flowerbed mulch has become patchy.

Someone at work suggested I could put pepper on the mulch, does that work?

Anyone with cat experience care to suggest anything?

BFG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

The only thing I ever found that worked ( our cats love to use newly dug or seeded earth..) was to lay chicken wire loosely over the beds.

That way they cannot scratch there.

Other solutions can work temporarily. I only ever tried this one.

But this always works for us. Weigh the edges down with stones or mulch and leave it visible. They bury their dirt as you know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

hi dont ask me how he found out about this or why it works but my dad puts plastic mineral bottles with water in them on his flower bed and it keeps cats away!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Well I'm feic all use to you BFG cos I can't remember the name of the stuff, but you can get stuff to spray on your lawn/shrubs/patio...wherever, that does the job. It works by confusing a cat's sense of smell. When a cat finds somewhere satisfying to do their business they'll often return to the same spot over and over. So you clean up the area, and spray on this stuff, and the next time a cat comes round, there's no trace of any previous jobbie, and the smell doesn't entice them to use the area.

I know it works cos my neighbour uses it.... With cats being clean creatures, they don't like to sh*t on their own doorstep so to speak....so my 7 beauties were using the neighbour's garden, the plants, the lawn, and their kids' sandpit. He came complaining about it, so we went shopping for a deterrent (after giving the cats a stern talking to)

The stuff is completely harmless to cats and children and other animals.:)

I'll be back when the name comes to me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

hi dont ask me how he found out about this or why it works but my dad puts plastic mineral bottles with water in them on his flower bed and it keeps cats away!!!

My Gran used to use this as well. No idea where she got the idea from though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Had this problem myself and cured it by putting chicken wire just under the clay in the flower beds. When they realise they can't bury their crap they go elsewhere...worked a treat

• Advertisement
Advertisement