Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new poster

Options
  • 27-05-2009 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi people, new here as you can gather so hi to all.

I have E1000 to invest in poker and i was wondering what would some of you do if you were starting out and you had that sum i know its not a lot in poker terms but its a start.
    So game size?
    Poker sites, which 1s would u recommend or avoid?
    Odds and precentages easiest way to memorise these?

I do play on boyles, mainly the nightly freeroll at 7.30 (hi to anyone who might know me) and some low buyin sit and gos. (i have rule since i opened my account that i would only deposit E10 a week no matter what happened during that week and i have stuck to that rule since) so my money managment is fairly sound. But i have some spare time on my hands at present with 1 thing and another so i thou why not give it a patient go and see how i get on.

So people any advice on dos and donts be grately appericated. also i know this a simple post but as its my first i dont want it to get to complicated.

Thanks All.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

If you want to play for a grand build a bank roll up slowly by playing micro limits. (100 euro investment max)

If you loose at micro limits and fail to build a bank roll then you would have lost allot more playing with 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Assuming you're not i troll which i presume you are but ill bite anyway.

Look here here and if you've no experience of online cash id start at 20nl and play 10k hands and see how you do.

If you're a troll then diagf btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

hi2u and gl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Prepare to get it all in with the best hand and to lose to a 1 outer. Soul Destroying :(

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭BloodyDeath

mdwexford wrote: »
    Assuming you're not i troll which i presume you are but ill bite anyway.

Look here here and if you've no experience of online cash id start at 20nl and play 10k hands and see how you do.

If you're a troll then diagf btw.

Iv just read Phantom Lords guide to low stakes NL for the first time of what i imagine will be many more. great read thanks for directing it in my way.

Could someone tell me a little about these poker trackers?

i know i have a lot to learn and may sound a bit stupid at times but i plan on gathering as much information as possible before i invest my 1K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

BloodyDeath could be the new DVDfan methinks. Couldnt get enough of the learning that lad.

BloodyDeath could be the new DVDfan methinks. Couldnt get enough of the learning that lad.

No Rounders i aint the dvdman but i do love to learn so if u have any teachings to pass on im all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Read the forums, read everything, post questions and play good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

make sure you get a rb deal..

oh yea dont do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

If you are playing on boyles they have a promotion to sign up to the training site Pokerswat which is run by people from this forum.A lot of the instructors are also regular posters here.Contact Ciaran Corbett by Pm and I'm sure he will point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭DAMO72

Sirtoyou wrote: »
    If you are playing on boyles they have a promotion to sign up to the training site Pokerswat which is run by people from this forum.A lot of the instructors are also regular posters here.Contact Ciaran Corbett by Pm and I'm sure he will point you in the right direction.
    And if your ever at a live tourney dont sit at a table beside this whimp , he will run a fkn mile if you shout out loud. :eek::eek::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

No need for the last post in this thread. Really poor form considering this thread.

OP, Poker Tracker is basically a database that holds all your hands played. It can summarise in stats how you act in certain situations, and summary stats on your play. Invaluable if you want to give poker a go. Also provides stats on your opponents, so you get to get a quick idea of how they play, and also remembers things for you, so you can get a more detailed picture of how they play. Didn't explain it very well, but its invaluable really. Hold'em Manager is their competitor, and imo better.

Here's a really good place to start: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/39/small-stakes-pl-nl/ssnl-link-collection-100801/

2p2 is one of the highest quality forums, and you will learn pretty fast there if you try. Read the sticky's, hand histories etc.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/69/micro-stakes-pl-nl/ is their micro stakes section. The advice often isn't great, but its a great place to start posting if you want to post often on hands at your own level.

You should also download pokerstove. Its free, and is how you will start to understand poker. http://www.pokerstove.com/

If you want to play SNGs, read up on ICM. Don't know where the best places for reading up on SNG theory are, but I assume the 2p2 SNG section has enough on it.

If your starting off, I'd recommend playing some 20NL cash, or even 10NL (5c/10c blinds.) Cash is where the money is (ignore poor punning please :).

But as roadsweeper said, just read a load, post some, read some more, post more, do a bit of pokerstove and some basic sums to get an understanding of whats happening (you'll see plenty of examples of these basic sums in hand histories), then read some more and then play some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Rocky Balboa 2

Above post seems perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Invest some of your 1k in a coaching site first and holdem manager. I recommend deucescracked personally and I think you can get a discount on HEM through the site. Start playing the micros and join 2+2 and start posting hands and reading threads.
    From the sounds of things, investing 1k in to poker when you only usually play nightly freerolls is probably not that wise. You will only need about $200 to play 10nl. Maybe put the rest in to a fund for new computer hardware that you end up smashing up coz of pokers ;)
    GL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭gondorff

Play a couple of $500 sit'n'gos. That should get you started.

coaching lol

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

Sirtoyou wrote: »

That

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 HibsAreIt

Can i get a free subscription to pokerswat then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

keep your own cash and play with otherpeoples.
    go here www.pokerstrategy.com and get a free 50$ for one of the main sites... stars full tilt or party. read their articles and watch coaching videos.
    start on NL5 or NL10 and build up a bankroll slowly and make your mistakes at low stakes while you learn.
    when u beat these limits move up.
    if u cant beat these limits, forget about it.
    get holdem manager and analise your sessions, identify why u are losing some hands and make corrections to your game.
    learn all aspects of poker including bankroll management.
    no need to use your own money.
    gl with it :)

TommyGunne wrote: »
    No need for the last post in this thread. Really poor form considering this thread.

OP, Poker Tracker is basically a database that holds all your hands played. It can summarise in stats how you act in certain situations, and summary stats on your play. Invaluable if you want to give poker a go. Also provides stats on your opponents, so you get to get a quick idea of how they play, and also remembers things for you, so you can get a more detailed picture of how they play. Didn't explain it very well, but its invaluable really. Hold'em Manager is their competitor, and imo better.

Here's a really good place to start: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/39/small-stakes-pl-nl/ssnl-link-collection-100801/

2p2 is one of the highest quality forums, and you will learn pretty fast there if you try. Read the sticky's, hand histories etc.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/69/micro-stakes-pl-nl/ is their micro stakes section. The advice often isn't great, but its a great place to start posting if you want to post often on hands at your own level.

You should also download pokerstove. Its free, and is how you will start to understand poker. http://www.pokerstove.com/

If you want to play SNGs, read up on ICM. Don't know where the best places for reading up on SNG theory are, but I assume the 2p2 SNG section has enough on it.

If your starting off, I'd recommend playing some 20NL cash, or even 10NL (5c/10c blinds.) Cash is where the money is (ignore poor punning please :).

But as roadsweeper said, just read a load, post some, read some more, post more, do a bit of pokerstove and some basic sums to get an understanding of whats happening (you'll see plenty of examples of these basic sums in hand histories), then read some more and then play some.

Tommy thanks for ur reply.

i will look into these in next few days. just back from a campin trip with kids and himself.

Kind Regards Anne-Marie. (i see a few others are on first name terms so hi guys and gals)

Ishindar wrote: »
    keep your own cash and play with otherpeoples.
    go here www.pokerstrategy.com and get a free 50$ for one of the main sites... stars full tilt or party. read their articles and watch coaching videos.
    start on NL5 or NL10 and build up a bankroll slowly and make your mistakes at low stakes while you learn.
    when u beat these limits move up.
    if u cant beat these limits, forget about it.
    get holdem manager and analise your sessions, identify why u are losing some hands and make corrections to your game.
    learn all aspects of poker including bankroll management.
    no need to use your own money.
    gl with it :)

i havent depostied yet i still need to look some more and thanks for the heads up on the free bucks i was reading chris ferguson turned $1 into $10000 or sumtin along those lines so maybe i could turn ur link into same. if i do theres a pint in it for you ishindar.

Thanks and Regards

Anne-Marie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

i havent depostied yet i still need to look some more and thanks for the heads up on the free bucks i was reading chris ferguson turned $1 into $10000 or sumtin along those lines so maybe i could turn ur link into same. if i do theres a pint in it for you ishindar.

Thanks and Regards

Anne-Marie

nice, mines a pint of bud :D
    for the record, i started playing poker in january with 50$ free and now have 2000$ bank roll at full tilt poker playing NL100 and soon to move to NL200 i hope for ~14hours a week play. Its slow progress at the start but it soon builds up. the 1st grand took 3mths the 2nd only took a couple of weeks and im hoping it continues like that :)
    start by learning basic short stack strategy as this gives a good basic grounding and will at least make you small money until you improve with time.

although its probably the toughest site i would recommend full tilt poker as they give rakeback at 27% which is a nice bonus every friday to your account.

anyway if u decide to sign up at pokerstrategy.com for the free 50$ and training articles +videos please use this referral link http://www.pokerstrategy.com/u69RPR as i will get a referral bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

I would read the theory threads on here and then set up the best deal you can get for online poker, which is the one i'm on.

Advertisement