Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overweight Election Candidates

Options
  • 27-05-2009 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

What's ye all's views on fat people running in the election? Or people that look totally 'shopped and people that look like outright cartoon characters?

Personally, I wouldn't give my vote to someone medically obese purely because they can't look after their own health. I mean, if someone can't do that, then how the hell are they supposed to look after me, my rights and freedoms and so forth?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

They shouldn't run... they'll be out of breathe too quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

When the minister for health is morbidly obese, what do you think that actually says about the Irish government?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

That the Dáil's got good caterers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

GrumPy wrote: »
    What's ye all's views on fat people running in the election? Or people that look totally 'shopped and people that look like outright cartoon characters?

Personally, I wouldn't give my vote to someone medically obese purely because they can't look after their own health. I mean, if someone can't do that, then how the hell are they supposed to look after me, my rights and freedoms and so forth?!

Unlikely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭techdiver

EnterNow wrote: »
    When the minister for health is morbidly obese, what do you think that actually says about the Irish government?

Yea, having her as minister for health is the same as having John Gilligan minister for justice! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I can't understand why a lot of them seem to have three chins in their election posters. Photoshop anyone???

Also a few of the female candidates look like Lego women with the ridiculous haircuts they have.

It's not about looks but some of them should have made a better effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

I think if your election posters have to be presented in Landscape then you're probably too fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I wasn't aware there was a correlation between the two. I believe you're starting a "I hate fat people because I don't like the look of them" thread. This is further compounded by how you also made mention of people who are photoshopped and those who "look like outright cartoon characters".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Dudess wrote: »
    I wasn't aware there was a correlation between the two. I believe you're starting a "I hate fat people because I don't like the look of them" thread. This is further compounded by how you also made mention of people who are photoshopped and those who "look like outright cartoon characters".

Nah, someone looking funny, or having a photoshopped photo wouldn't stop me from voting for them If I liked what they were saying. However, fat people = no no.

Liking your high-cal grub too much isn't necessarily a reflection on how competent (or not) you are as a politician. Is the Minister for Sport sporty?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Maybe they should release all their medical info to you? Maybe men with beards should be excluded too, or men with longish hair, obviously too lazy to shave, get their hair cut :rolleyes:

I will vote for the best person to do the job. Fat, thin, ugly, hairy, i dont give a fcuk as long as they are not talking out their ass.

Feck it, why not get all the pretty people to run for election. Obviously you cant have what it takes if you're not a size 8

Berlusconi appoints them to his cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Is the Minister for Sport sporty?

No, just a retard

Harney's not a bad politician at all - something tells me if she was the exact same person but hot, there wouldn't be such slating of her. So yeah, she needs to lose weight for her health, but other than that, her obesity has absolutely no effect on my life whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

They're just preparing themselves for the times to come...

Harney's not a bad politician at all

When was the last time you were waiting on a bed in a hospital?

Is the minister for sport sporty? Well, no. But you dont seem him lying on his couch in a football jersey, eating fast food all day (ie he is not a hippocrite)

Take the blue pill dear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Ivana Baecik,my god that woman makes slugs look pretty,could she not just have another woman pose as her and use her voice,like Milli Vinilli

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I don't think its fair to single people out because of their size but on the other hand I think that if a person wants to represent the people of their town or city they should make more of an effort with their appearance and should be more conscious about being a healthy size.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

I wasn't aware there was a correlation between the two. [/quote]

Well obviously it has, where have you been living for the last few years?

Stop sticking up for your chubby buddies, if they cant resist cake/beer or whatever how will they resist taking the lazy option towards their job?
    They're proven to be greedy fat cats so dont understand how you cant see the link, and Mary Harney is one of the worse politicians!

Maruney wrote: »
    I wasn't aware there was a correlation between the two.

Well obviously it has, where have you been living for the last few years?

Stop sticking up for your chubby buddies, if they cant resist cake/beer or whatever how will they resist taking the lazy option towards their job?
    They're proven to be greedy fat cats so dont understand how you cant see the link, and Mary Harney is one of the worse politicians![/QUOTE]

Coupled with all of that, someone who is dangerously overweight as she is, without a medical reason, obv couldnt give a toss about health. Oh wait she is the minister for health, cmon for god sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Is the Minister for Sport sporty?

what about the minister for defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Harney's not a bad politician at all - something tells me if she was the exact same person but hot, there wouldn't be such slating of her. So yeah, she needs to lose weight for her health, but other than that, her obesity has absolutely no effect on my life whatsoever.

Not a bad politician.
    Are you off your bloody? Smoking spliffs?
    She's a brutal politician..one of the worst Health ministers ever.
    It wouldn't matter how hot she was..

Besides she's a fat biatch and shouldn't be allowed to govern Health.
    And did anyone see the picture of Cowen on the bike for the fitness center he opened the other day.
    I felt sorry for the 2 flunkies beside him who no doubt had to lift his lardass onto the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

If you went to a job interview looking like a slob (like alot of our politican's do) you'd have bugger all chance getting said job so why not hold the leader's of this country up to the same standard :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Did anyone see Cowen at the Irish Open, a helper holding the umbrella over his head. Probably for €100 an hour too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I love how they say they are "running" for election.
    Cripes! Some of them can barely walk!

Just look at the Bell Family in Drogheda.
    Michael Bell of Labour - HUGE!!!
    The daughter - massive in size and "running" for election. http://www.labour.ie/lindabellwoods/
    (The son is also trying also to get into politics and get elected! Its a great racket to be in and for the Bells - a family business!)

They should all at least look presentable. Not look like they have over indulged for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Biggins wrote: »
    Not look like they have over indulged for decades.

In fairness, isn't honesty a desirable trait in our politicians?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

javaboy wrote: »
    In fairness, isn't honesty a desirable trait in our politicians?

LOL True.

When was the last time you were waiting on a bed in a hospital?
    Still doesn't make her a bad health minister - did she cause that? No. She's not a brilliant health minister, but she is far from grossly incompetent.
    Is the minister for sport sporty? Well, no. But you dont seem him lying on his couch in a football jersey, eating fast food all day (ie he is not a hippocrite)
    But surely if the Minister for Health should be healthy, then the Minister for Sport should be sporty?
    Take the blue pill dear...
    Resorting to being condescending to someone just because they disagree with you - what an excellent, mature discussion strategy.
    joey54 wrote: »
    I don't think its fair to single people out because of their size but on the other hand I think that if a person wants to represent the people of their town or city they should make more of an effort with their appearance and should be more conscious about being a healthy size.
    Spot-on. She's overweight and it's unhealthy but it has **** all to do with how she does her job, it's her own private business. If she was slim and smoked, people would probably berate her for smoking when she is health minister, but she's not being paid to tell everyone to live healthily, she is Minister for Health - there is a difference. Everyone knows obesity and smoking are unhealthy anyway - do we need the Minister for Health to tell us that? Are we really that slow? LOL
    Maruney wrote: »
    Well obviously it has
    I said "I wasn't aware there was a correlation between the two" - i.e. her weight has no bearing on how she does her job and your response is "obviously it has" - eh... how?
    where have you been living for the last few years?
    Oh I see. The health system is in sh1t and has been for donkey's years - since well before the current Minister for Health... and it's all because she's fat. Right.
    Stop sticking up for your chubby buddies
    My buddies? Oh no, I don't even know these people. My point is: their weight has **** all to do with how they do their job - this thread is only a "let's make fun of fat people because I don't like the look of them" thread, that's ALL it is.
    if they cant resist cake/beer or whatever how will they resist taking the lazy option towards their job?
    Cop-out. Loads of people have addictions, weaknesses and these have no bearing whatsoever on how they do their jobs.
    Not a bad politician.
    Are you off your bloody? Smoking spliffs?
    She's a brutal politician..one of the worst Health ministers ever.
    How? The health system was in sh1t before she took it over.
    It wouldn't matter how hot she was..
    Besides she's a fat biatch and shouldn't be allowed to govern Health.
    So it doesn't matter about her appearance... but it does.
    Venom wrote: »
    If you went to a job interview looking like a slob (like alot of our politican's do) you'd have bugger all chance getting said job
    Not necessarily true. Where I work I'm struck by the amount of massively obese people there are. Obviously it was felt they were capable of doing the job. This place is only new so these people would have been recruited at the height of the recession when the company was in a position to turn down every single obese person if they wanted to.
    I know obese is extremely unhealthy and dangerous and no, it doesn't look good. But I really don't understand why people let others' bodyweight affect them. "Oh it puts a strain on our health service - bla bla". Cop-out - it's because you don't like the look of them, end of.

I think the majority of us seem to have struck a nerve. Genreally speaking anybodys appearance should not matter at all. But its the minister for HEALTH we are talking about. And again, incase you didnt read that right, she is the minister for H E A L T H - and she is morbidly obese, do you think she cares about health?? No.

She is obese because she is greedy. A terrible politician, its not her fault the health system is in shambles is it not?? You really are deluded if you think not. I suppose you think its all the sick people who are causing the health system to collapse into shamples do you?

Its people like you who have the country the way it is, defending these greedy, corrupt shower who call themselves the government. Thats my final word on the subject.

Oh and because this is boards.ie with a mod involved in a discussion that they are losing/disagree with, Ill say this - in before the lock!

Peace

• Advertisement

I think the majority of us seem to have struck a nerve.
    Heh, never would have seen that one coming at all - pretty much as sure as night follows day on these threads. Of course ONLY overweight people would defend overweight people being pilloried for their appearances...
    Genreally speaking anybodys appearance should not matter at all. But its the minister for HEALTH we are talking about. And again, incase you didnt read that right, she is the minister for H E A L T H - and she is morbidly obese, do you think she cares about health?? No.
    And as I said, in case you didn't read it right, you don't have to give a flying **** about something you're appointed minister of - you just have to give a flying **** about getting the job done. It is not her job to set an example just because it's health which she's minister of. Should the Minister for the Environment keep away from cars?
    She is obese because she is greedy.
    Yes, partly - I fail to see where I disputed that, or how it's relevant to her job. And she's greedy because she eats too much junk-food, therefore she's "greedy" in the same way as the money-grabbing, land-grabbing FF politicians - LOL :rolleyes:
    A terrible politician, its not her fault the health system is in shambles is it not??
    Of course it ****ing isn't - it was like that long before she was appointed health minister. Is it her fault things are so slow to improve? Yes - it's the ultimate poisoned chalice though.
    I suppose you think its all the sick people who are causing the health system to collapse into shamples do you?
    Brilliant tactic - resorting to putting words in my mouth. Yes, I think it's all the sick people who are causing the health system to collapse into shambles. :rolleyes:
    Its people like you who have the country the way it is, defending these greedy, corrupt shower who call themselves the government.
    "People like me" - except you don't actually know **** all about me so... fail. I really can't see a single point where I've defended the corrupt, greedy individuals who have been in power in this country.
    Thats my final word on the subject.
    Why is that?
    Oh and because this is boards.ie with a mod involved in a discussion that they are losing/disagree with, Ill say this - in before the lock!
    Ah yes, the "mammy, someone is disagreeing with me and I don't like it so I'll throw a dig at them - oh wait, this person is a mod, I'll use that!" How the fuk would my being a mod (of an entirely different forum) cause this thread to be locked? LOL at the paranoia and obsession surrounding mods.
    Please also advise me as to how I'm "losing" (what are you? Seven?) this discussion...

Advertisement