Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Dog ... New Kennel... help

Options
  • 27-05-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi, need some help here!

I have a 15 year old terrier mix... a great dog. I noticed at the weekend that his kennel needed replacing so I purchased a new wooden one for him. But he won't use it.

Now I know he can get in and out of it, can sit and turn around it (I put some ham in the back of it and he'd jump a 6ft fence for a bit of ham so that's how I got him in there to give it a go :D ) I have it lined really snugly with ripped up newspaper (in an old pillowcase so it can be emptied easily) and one of this old blankets (so his scent is all over this) but it's like he doesn't understand what this new thing is and just sits outside it. Even if its raining ! he's not going to use it much, he prefers being indoors but the odd afternoon he would spend a few lazy hours suning himself in the corner and only use the kennel if there was an unexpected rain shower and there was nobody to let him in. So I suppose what I'm saying is, he has no issue using a kennel in general. Should I just wait it out? he'll use it eventually? Is there any way I can make the change to a new kennel a bit easier for him? I just want him back to his usual stress free existence!!

thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

You could try putting his bowl of food in it or jst scattering a few pieces in the new kennel, so he has to go in and investigate. I would give him time as well, it probably smells funny to him(being new and spotless) so over time in the rain it might begin to smell like his old one did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

yeah, it`ll just take time....try feeding him his dinner in there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wotzit

thanks for the replies! I think this situation will indeed be helped by appealing to his stomach .... it's the only thing he listens to :o

Advertisement