Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sponsored People

• 27-05-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi, im just trying to start a thread that shows how many people are sponsored/professional in Ireland in any "extreme" sport e.g: skateboarding, BMX, surfing etc..So if you or somebody you know is sponsored could you say who the sponsor is, what sport and how long etc..much appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Loooooooooads of people sponcered for skating.
    My mate Keith Walsh is over in Cali with the Zero team right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

thats savage! i saw his pic on the g1 site there a while ago

Keith Walsh, old footage.

Gav Coughlan, old footage.

Both got new footy coming soon i think.
    Keith definitely does, i've seen it already. haha

man its weird, i mean i onli started skatin lik last november adn i never woulda thought there was people dis good in ireland, pretty cool lik. I only heard of Conhuir Lynn a few weeks ago lik, and that was only cause my cousin lives in belfast and went to the same school or somethin:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

who cares? being sponsored isn't the be all, end all of anything? There's a million kids out there better than anyone you know in Ireland that aren't sponsored so why worry about it? A couple of thousand fat middle aged Irish women are sponsored to run the mini marathon and it doesn't mean too much.....unless thats what gets you off? I

• Advertisement

Why be suck a dick about it?
    Seriously, they asked a question and i answered it for them.
    Keith has actually been called one of the best Europian skaters to come out in a looooooong time.
    Ireland has some great tallent, you don't need to fly to America, or anywhere else for that matter to find it?

You can go and take for pesamistic views over there if you like though, because frankly, no on here wants them.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

Go onto any bmx website and go to FAQs and there is nearly always one saying how can I get sponsored. The answer is always " Feel free to send in a video but personality and ability to get the products name out there is more than how many tricks you can do ".

no imn not lookin to get sponsored, i just wanna see how big the extreme sports scene is in ireland, like how good is ireland compared to other countries

I'd say the average kid in Ireland would be as a good as the average kid anywhere.
    Of course there's going to be great skaters and shít skaters everywhere and it really comes down to the person rather than the country, county ect...

As a country, how are we for extreme sports?
    Ireland has so much to offer in terms of E.S.; The west's coastline has some of the best surfing beaches in the world.
    We have plenty of MTB trails, loads of mountain climbing, pot holing facilities.(caving) Some great rocking climbing.

In terms of skateboarding/bmx/blading spots, we have a god variety of street spots to skate around the country, trouble is you have to know people in the know the ride them most of the time.
    We really don't have enough parks and this is a serious problem. The less parks around, the less legal spots there are for us to ride.
    I've made this argument countless amounts of time with my local council and Garda but to no avail.

For example; Whilst traveling in Australia i could go to any small town in the arsehole of no where and there was always a park to be skated.
    Even if it was just a small bowl and a mini ramp, it was still there.
    Over here it's a half hour drive to the nearest skatepark to my house and i live in the middle of what is essentially a city.
    After that, i'm probably going another half hour past that.

I know it's a lot worse outside of Dublin too.
    Ireland is really far behind the rest of the world for urban extreme sports, which is why I am getting more and more into outdoorsy, mountainy things. :)
    I suggest others should do the same. haha

I think we'd be producing a lot more talent if we had the facilities for us to practice in.

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭boarderco

heres some info for ya on the boarderco team

brian corscadden : Boarderco and tubes skate shop (3 years?)

Snowy : Boarderco (5+yrs) and vans shoes

Dave hurley :Boarderco ( 1 yr) tubes skateshop , bds clothing, ricta

Wayne Gallagher : Boarderco ( 10 yr), Fivarz ( 1 yr), Globe shoes ( 5+ yrs), Eastpak ( 5 + yrs), Rockstar, Independent trucks ( 6+ yrs),

Joe Hill : Boarderco (2 yrs), Fivarz wheels ( 1 yr)

Mike K: Boarderco (9+ yrs), dvs

paddy maguire : Bcoarderco (6 mnths)

• Advertisement

Don't know how i forgot a few of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

pete4130 wrote: »
    who cares? being sponsored isn't the be all, end all of anything?
    I do for one because its these people that might, put our country on the map for something other then a bunch drinkers

Your right it certnaly aint the be all or end all of anything but it does do something puts our country on the map as yes we do have go getters people with the skills that they to have a chance of going some where in the sport they do.. any little young gun could come from Ireland and dominate a sport for ten years but for that to happen sponcer ship is a must have, pro events with wild card entry's are needed to show that Irish aspiring tony hawk or kelly slater that they do have some what of chance......

pete4130 wrote: »
    a million kids out there better than anyone you know in Ireland that aren't sponsored so why worry about it? A couple of thousand fat middle aged Irish women are sponsored to run the mini marathon and it doesn't mean too much.....unless thats what gets you off? I

There's always somebody better its a fact in any sport, but thats what give you the motivation to be all you can be and better putting in the effort to make your move your style, better. Its the nature of compitision to be the best, and if some one gets sponcered over it especially in Ireland, promote the sport get people super hyper about it making the effort to be better then some one else, thats what compitisions are about...

I do agree it doesn't really mean anything at all but helps show kids that with determination they can go that further then just local hero national or maybe world.... i think its important....

people who are sponcered tend to be the motivates the people you look up to be as good or even in some case's to beat...

Thats why other countrys like france spain england, have such a great scene not saying the irsh scene is'nt great but for sports to grow people need insentive, granted people think there on the yellow brick road once they get there but....I know you see where I'm coming from....

Advertisement