Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freaky dreams that seem so real ?

Options
  • 27-05-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

hey all ,

just thought i would post my apperience on here incase anyone else has felt the same ... over the last couple of months i have been have dreams that someonebody or something is trying to stangle me in my sleep . I go to bed nod off and during the night im dreaming ( or think im dreaming ) that a figure ( i dark man with hat ) standing over me then putting out his arms and coming towards my kneck ... as soon as he reaches my kneck i wake up .. but i always scream in my little then bolt off the bed ... another night i actually felt like he was staggling me and had his hand around my kneck and i couldnt breathe .. same screamed in my sleep and then jumped out of the bed and ran into the toliet ... one night i screamed that loud my mum came out to see if i was alright .. its always the same time during the night and always the same dream of me lying on my back in bed in my room ... anyone got any opions on this or experined anything simaler .. im actually afraid of going to sleep now

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you google or search here for 'sleep paralysis' it might shed some light on whats happening, lots of info has been posted here in the past. Also if youre under stress for any reason, it often comes out in your dreams. While this may feel like a ghostly attack, look for a real world explanation first, as its a lot more likely to help you sleep better. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Lone Kimono

I would say its sleep paralysis alright. I have never experienced it myself, but from what I hear its a terrible experience when you dont know what it is. I would highly doubt its anything more that that, unless you wake up with marks on your neck, then I would start to worry.:D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Your dark man with a hat is a really common theme. Sometimes referred to as the sandman. However or whereever your psyche gets it from, you are not alone in experiencing it. Ive had the same type of figure in my scary waking dream things. :) regardless of what you think it might be, always remember, all this experience can do is scare you. It cant harm you in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Oryx wrote: »
    Your dark man with a hat is a really common theme. Sometimes referred to as the sandman. However or whereever your psyche gets it from, you are not alone in experiencing it. Ive had the same type of figure in my scary waking dream things. :) regardless of what you think it might be, always remember, all this experience can do is scare you. It cant harm you in any way.
    sandman ' now that rings a bell .... were did i see that name before????
    i cant remember ...:confused: ,is their something i can read about this 'sandman' !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

jonbravo wrote: »
    sandman ' now that rings a bell .... were did i see that name before????
    i cant remember ...:confused: ,is their something i can read about this 'sandman' !?
    Enter sandman by metallica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

There was also a horror movie (American? I think) - "Sandman". Serioisly speaking, nightmares like strangulation etc might happen if a person has a sleeping disorder like snoring or after a big evening meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

err maybe Candyman!!??
    (said into the mirror three times)
    *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

yep, sleep paralysis or called night nurse sickness years ago. My parents call it tromblies or something like that. Been getting them since I was 14. It runs in families actually. I don't get them as often now and never sleeps on my back. Read on the net before that it was a disruption of some of the stages of sleep before you went to REM sleep hence you are often paralyzed. The old men was a common theme for me also standing over me. Not a good feeling at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sleep paralysis...happens to me all the time, first few times it happened to me it absolutely terrified me, but then i saw a program on the telly about it, and boy was i relieved

Advertisement