Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs in distress/pound query

Options
  • 27-05-2009 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Just looking on the Dogs in Distress website and in the Urgent Action Needed section are dogs that are in the pound. Are all of these dogs in the pound right now that you can go in and take one? On all the dogs it says their date out: May 27th for example does this mean that on May 27th they are ready to take home by someone because they haven't been claimed? I'm not familiar with getting a dog from a pound. I take it there are no home checks and do you know how much you have to pay to take a dog? How long after their date out are they kept in the pound before being put to sleep? We have our heart set on one dog in there (though they all pull at the heartstrings!) but it would be next week before we could visit. Sorry for all the questions, just unsure as to how dog pounds work. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

The dogs in urgent action are in the pound now, you can go up now and reserve one and then on the date out you can take them home if they havent been reclaimed. There are no home checks from the pound, and I think its approx 50 euro to take them out. dogs in distress try and get fosters for the dogs after their date out and then you will have to pass a home check to get the dog off them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

kazza90210 wrote: »
    The dogs in urgent action are in the pound now, you can go up now and reserve one and then on the date out you can take them home if they havent been reclaimed. There are no home checks from the pound, and I think its approx 50 euro to take them out. dogs in distress try and get fosters for the dogs after their date out and then you will have to pass a home check to get the dog off them!
    Thanks for your help kazza!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

I have rehomed 2 dogs from the pound and it cost me €12.70 for the dog licence. No other fee from Ashton Pound.
    If you do rehome them please take to your vet asap. Will need a checking over, innoculations and microchipped. Neutering/Spaying may be needed too.
    But once home with them, you will not regret especially knowing you have saved their lives and they will give you unconditional love. Love my dogs.

If we're lucky enough to get the one we're looking at or another one we'll definitely get them checked out first thing and get them vaccinated. How long after their date out are they kept in Ashton Pound if Dogs in Distress or a member of the public don't take them? As in how long do they have before the inevitable if they're not taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Corb wrote: »
    If we're lucky enough to get the one we're looking at or another one we'll definitely get them checked out first thing and get them vaccinated. How long after their date out are they kept in Ashton Pound if Dogs in Distress or a member of the public don't take them? As in how long do they have before the inevitable if they're not taken?

I really think that depends on full the pound is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Some dogs have spent as long as 6 weeks in there because A: the room is there for them and B: the dog is healthy and homeable, and C: DID hasn't got room in fostercare for him. Ashton Pound has a low put to sleep rate, thanks to the work of DID.

Your best bet would be to visit the pound and reserve the dog. If you can't make it for another week then the dog will probably be in fostercare with DID by then and you will need to apply for adoption.
    Ashton won't take a booking for a dog over the phone- no matter what your reasons, you must visit in person, if the owner doesn't claim the dog you reserve then you would have to collect the dog on the day his time is up, of arrange collection as close as possible to that day.

Was the 'Date Out' the 27th May on the dog you're interested in? With today being the 28th, the dog will go into fostercare as soon as there is space for him. Try ringing the pound tomorrow and enquire about him. Their number is 01 8383236

Best of luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ashton Pound has a low put to sleep rate.
    Any figures to back up that statement?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Any figures to back up that statement?

Sure, here you go-

These are the stats in ascending order for the 2008 pts rate in Irish pounds:

3% Leitrim
    7% South Dublin
    10% Meath
    16% Louth
    19% Dublin
    25% Cork City
    29% Galway County
    29% Sligo
    33% Wicklow
    36% Monaghan
    36% Waterford City
    43% Wexford
    52% Waterford County
    52% Laois
    60% Galway City
    60% Roscommon
    61% Carlow
    66% Offaly
    66% Westmeath
    67% Clare
    68% Kilkenny
    70% Limerick County
    71% South Tipperary
    71% Mayo
    74% Donegal
    76% Longford
    76% North Tipperary
    79% Cavan
    80% Kerry
    80% Cork County
    83% Kildare
    91% Limerick City

Rescues like DID have brought the figures down drastically from what they were in past years. A Dog's Life (formerly Dunboyne Dogs) rescues and rehomes dogs from Dunboyne pound, with the pts rate for 2008 at 7% (highlighted in orange)
    The work of Dogs in Distress results in a reduced figure of 19% (highlighted in purple)

They're low compared with the shameful figures of Limerick city (but still too high if you know what I mean)

More figures for Ashton Pound- these aren't in relation or comparison to other pounds, the figures are percentages of dogs pts out of the total number of dogs seized and brought to Ashton by the warden, or surrendered to Ashton by the public.

Year Total PTS
    2002 2,982 58%
    2003 2,631 55%
    2004 2,527 30%
    2005 2,603 18%
    2006 2,346 11%

Aston Pound's pts rate is low (by comparison) and dropping all the time.

And here's a disgusting fact- In the Co. Clare pound, 23 dogs are destroyed per week!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Dear God. Makes me weep.

Wondering re Leitrim; we knew Dave there and he has a no-kill policy and is the Dog Warden?

Does this then include dogs so sick or damaged that they are irrecoverable?

Donegal surprises me too. Thought we were better here. Sligo has a bad record locally? We are always told; send them in Donegal not to Sligo

BUT we are getting DSPCA off the ground soon. Please God that alters things

Going to take our dogs out!!!
    Sure, here you go-

These are the stats in ascending order for the 2008 pts rate in Irish pounds:

3% Leitrim
    7% South Dublin
    10% Meath
    16% Louth
    19% Dublin
    25% Cork City
    29% Galway County
    29% Sligo
    33% Wicklow
    36% Monaghan
    36% Waterford City
    43% Wexford
    52% Waterford County
    52% Laois
    60% Galway City
    60% Roscommon
    61% Carlow
    66% Offaly
    66% Westmeath
    67% Clare
    68% Kilkenny
    70% Limerick County
    71% South Tipperary
    71% Mayo
    74% Donegal
    76% Longford
    76% North Tipperary
    79% Cavan
    80% Kerry
    80% Cork County
    83% Kildare
    91% Limerick City

Rescues like DID have brought the figures down drastically from what they were in past years. A Dog's Life (formerly Dunboyne Dogs) rescues and rehomes dogs from Dunboyne pound, with the pts rate for 2008 at 7% (highlighted in orange)
    The work of Dogs in Distress results in a reduced figure of 19% (highlighted in purple)

They're low compared with the shameful figures of Limerick city (but still too high if you know what I mean)

More figures for Ashton Pound- these aren't in relation or comparison to other pounds, the figures are percentages of dogs pts out of the total number of dogs seized and brought to Ashton by the warden, or surrendered to Ashton by the public.

Year Total PTS
    2002 2,982 58%
    2003 2,631 55%
    2004 2,527 30%
    2005 2,603 18%
    2006 2,346 11%

Aston Pound's pts rate is low (by comparison) and dropping all the time.

And here's a disgusting fact- In the Co. Clare pound, 23 dogs are destroyed per week!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

The percentages are derived from here http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/LocalGovernment/DogControl/FileDownLoad,19869,en.xls

Sorella, I would imagine that it is only dogs that are too sick to save as the 3% is only referring to 13 dogs. Remember that not everyone vaccinates their dogs or pups.

• Advertisement

sorella wrote: »
    Dear God. Makes me weep.
    Does this then include dogs so sick or damaged that they are irrecoverable?
    It does, the stats cover dogs pts for any reason.... If Leitrim pound has a no-kill policy then the 3% pts last year could have been too ill to save.

Sorry Toulouse, crossposted there- I went off and did something while I was in the middle of typing!

Sorella, are you setting up your own SPCA?

Thank you ; and Toulouse.

LAW is well known and has an impressive record; privately run. We knew them well at one time. English couple.
    It does, the stats cover dogs pts for any reason.... If Leitrim pound has a no-kill policy then the 3% pts last year could have been too ill to save.

No; but there has been no SPCA in Donegal for a while and now there will be.

We just heard this this week when we were talking re rehoming Sandy with the good man we know who was with Donegal Pet Rescue then.

We have no resources, and my limit now is two dogs and two cats; well, it was one dog until we found Sandy so that was above quota.

We are deeply involved in rescue work in Canada so have a great interest, and seem thus to come across many needs. So we have good contacts.

Had we not been able to cope with Sandy we would have placed her via them two years ago.

As it was, it was one more saved. They are overwhelmed often. We would love to help more but it just is not possible.

It is a great comfort to know who to contact when we see bad things.

(and if that swallow flies in through the window once more he may find himself in the jaws of death; cat has woken! )
    Sorry Toulouse, crossposted there- I went off and did something while I was in the middle of typing!

Sorella, are you setting up your own SPCA?

I really wish Dogs in Distress would update their website properly. The dog we wanted is still on there as an urgent matter despite being rehomed during the week. And the Pound never answer their phone so we went all the way up there (we live miles away) thinking a dog we wanted would be there and he was gone almost a week ago. When DID put up new dogs in that section they really should let people know when other dogs are gone. We were very disappointed yesterday.

Yes I know it's a voluntary organisation but when they update new dogs on there why can't they update to let people know if dogs are gone or not. The other two we were interested in are gone too - also still up on the site as an urgent matter. It's annoying for people who can't get out to the pound regularly, especially when the pound never answer the phone frown.gif

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive a question regarding the figures quoted above which are confusing me a bit.

Firstly Ashton is in North Dublin so based on the figures above Ashton must be running at 12% or should I say North Dublin is running at 12%

Secondly Dunboyne is in Meath so how can the figures marked in orange (South Dublin) be attributed to "A dogs life" who rehome from Dunboyne pound.

Surely Dunboyne should fall into Meaths figures??

Oh dear... it's an awful pity you were disappointed yesterday...
    I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason, so I reckon that maybe your home is meant for a special case....

With the update issue- most DID volunteers don't live close to the pound, some are as far away from it as you are, and when a dog is rehomed by a member of the public only the pound staff themselves know it's gone to a new home....I'm pretty sure they don't make a point of letting DID know, they're up the walls themselves. So I think maybe they only find out when someone like yourself posts about a certain dog being gone, or when a volunteer visits and is informed of which ones are no longer resident. That's my take on it, I'm not absolutely sure.

But I feel your frustration... The dog that is meant for you will come along.
    Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey!:)

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ive a question regarding the figures quoted above which are confusing me a bit.

Firstly Ashton is in North Dublin so based on the figures above Ashton must be running at 12% or should I say North Dublin is running at 12%

Secondly Dunboyne is in Meath so how can the figures marked in orange (South Dublin) be attributed to "A dogs life" who rehome from Dunboyne pound.

Surely Dunboyne should fall into Meaths figures??

I remember being confused about it myself and asking, and got an answer that made perfect sense- but can I remember it now? Hell, no!!:rolleyes:
    But as far as I know, Dunboyne pound is the pound that covers the Meath & South Dublin areas. Don't quote me on that! Hopefully someone local to the area can clarify....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Last time I checked Dunboyne is north of the Liffey.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

But as far as I know, Dunboyne pound is the pound that covers the Meath & South Dublin areas.

That makes no sense at all.Dunboyne is miles from South Dublin.If it was North Dublin it would make a lot of sense but not South Dublin.

• Advertisement

Well I'm down in Shannon in Co. Clare and I'm not familiar with the Dublin or Meath areas. Like I said, maybe someone more local to the areas can explain it.
    I was asked to provide figures to "back up my statement", which I did by copying and pasting. I didn't compile the stats and I can't provide explanations as to the figures or whereabouts of the pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Dunboyne pound has nothing to do with Meath even though it's in it so therefore nothing to do with Meaths figures. Lasthope look after Meath pound which is only a recent thing too as before that all Meath dogs were sent to Dundalk! The South Dublin county council pound is located in Dunboyne Co. Meath. All the dogs come from South Dublin, not from Meath. The running of the pound is put up for tender by the South Dublin CoCo and the cheapest tender gets the pound.

http://environment.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=163&Itemid=207

South Dublin County Council’s Dog Pound:
    Blackhall Boarding Kennels
    Summerhill Road
    Blackhall
    Dunboyne
    Co. Meath

So yes, the figures marked in orange (South Dublin) can be attributed to A Dog's Life who rescue from Dunboyne.

It doesn't make much sense I know but the South Dublin dogs go to Dunboyne, Co. Meath :)

Thanks Toulouse-That clears that up so.Its still a strange setup though.Im wondering how much its costing the taxpayer for transport from South Dublin to Meath :)

Thanks Toulouse- I wasn't making much sense with my half assed attempt at an explanation!

Advertisement