Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Parties/Noise

Options
  • 27-05-2009 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Can anyone offer any advice on this?

What would you consider reasonable as regards to a house party? I'm asking in terms of noise levels, time, and in what scenario would you consider it enough and to call the Garda?

Offer opinions in Weekdays V Weekends if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

You should report excess noise any time it annoys you.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

I really feel for you! I had so much hassle in my old apartment that i ended up moving. People (sorry but not Irish) having house parties all week and weekend long. Called the Gardai on numerous occasions and all they could do was send a Garda car out to ask them to keep the noise down. That lasted 2 minutes and when the Gardai left they cranked it up to the last. I'm even livid remembering this stuff!! I wish the Gardai could issue on the spot fines of like €1000 and that would stop a lot of people!!!
    Sorry but the only thing you can do is take them to small claims court for breaking the Noise Pollution act and the noise levels have to be proven. It's such a disruption to so many peoples lives.
    Best advice is to move if your renting or just keep calling the Gardai and they may just stop for the sake of the hassle of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You have to live and let live to some extent: if it's every two/three weeks, I wouldn't bother about that - if it's a couple times a week, on weeknights, and going on past 2 a.m. it can be a problem.

Calling the Gardai is basically useless for the reason you mention, as soon as they leave, the volume goes back up. Also, when people are mid-party it's when they're at their least receptive to what the neighbours think :)

Basically, call in to them some weeknight when they aren't making noise, tell them politely the noise level's been causing bother, and see what they say.

They may apologise and try to curb it, they may tell you to sod off. If they do the latter and keep up the noise, you'll have to go to the Council's environmental department.

There may be hope in the future: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0525/1224247323590.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I think it depends on what kind of area your in.

If its people with kids around then you can complain about noise at like 10!

however, i think noise that is not people audibly talking or bassy floor shaking music is ok until about 11 on weekdays or 11-12 on weekends.

also i think if it goes on longer than that just once every three months its grand. but every week or month is a but much.

I'm a live and let live person tho. even middle age people living in houses for 30 years have the occasional party so i think people are understanding enough.

the gards are useless, they told me this themselves! the problem might be with a complaint to the landlord but they will only do something if the people are bad tenants in general.

so in summary: odd loudish party okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 yoyoclodie

I would like to point out another factor here though. My brother lives in an apartment where the walls are so thin that you can hear ppl going to the toilet downtairs. He has had the Gardai called on him once or twice when there were only three people in the apartment, and the sound of them moving around was enough to irritate the neighbours. My brother is generally a quiet lad, and very rarely even has people over. These are the things you need to think about when you are signing your mortgage I guess..
    And to make it all funnier, the same neighbours were blaring the crappest techno of their balcony last sunday. But hey, it was ok to irritate the **** out of everybody, because the sun was still shining :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement