Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Iphone - couple of questions

Options
  • 27-05-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Hi All,

Got my hands on a new Iphone 2g (well, new to me anyway).

I've signed up for the Vodafone 1gb per month plans and am using the following settings:
    APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    U: vodafone
    P: vodafone
    Every time I try to connect I get "Could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service". Is there something else I need to set?

Also, the button on the side to silence the ringer is fecked. Does anyone know a quick software way to do this? Any app that will control it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Is your sim working in a different phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

U: dublin
    P: dublin

Works for me. Also possible that the service is not yet activated on your vodafone account.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

I’ve tried the same sim in a Blackberry Storm and when I run a radio Diagnostic test I get Radio Data Activation=No
    I can get web services on it but I think it's over Wap.

I've recieved the following advice from Vodafone:

Tap on "Settings" icon
    Go to "General"
    Then "Network"
    Here you will be asked to select "Edge / vpn / wifi"
    Select Edge
    Then enter isp apn name, username & password

which I've followed (except I don't tap Edge, it's under Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network)

Damnit. Just figured it out. There was a space after the APN name. :rolleyes:

Now - to find a app that tracks the amount of data usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

bigfeller wrote: »
    Now - to find a app that tracks the amount of data usage.

Settings->General->Usage

Down the bottom. :)

Schweeeet!

• Advertisement

The latest.

Mobile data is working fine. Connects to a wifi network beautifully. Happy days.

Not so happy about the silent switch. Can't get the ringer working at all. Have got the text, key clicks and warning tones working by using a modded SystemSoundBehaviour.plist from the interweb but no joy with. There is a software solution for firmware 1.4 but I'm on 2.1. Seemingly there's another workaround to use video ringtones but once again that seems to work for 1.x only. Still looking but plenty of folks seem to have this problem and there's no fix.

I've been quoted €60 to fix the problem. Looks like I'll be going this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Hi guys sorry for Hijacking this thread.

Got me and iphone 3g and looking for the internet on it.
    Can get wifi perfect but not internet on data package.

Any helpful comments?

What provider are your using? Have you entered the APN details?

sorry should have said. im using meteor.

entered some settings but am thinking they are wrong.

• Advertisement

tried those settings and nothing is happening.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Ring customer care and get them to enable ISP data on your account. If you don't already have a data plan with them, watch out, because it'll cost you a fortune to browse without one.

Just as an end to the story...

went into http://www.techmenders.ie/ on South Anne St. 2 hours and 60 euros later the phone was fixed. Have to say the guy in there was brilliant to deal with.

So - fully working iphone. Dead happy now.

Apart from the fact that my text alerts sound during a call. I've gone from no sounds to too many sounds....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SA09

I'm jetting off to NY in the morning and I'm considering purchasing an iPhone 3g when I'm there.
    At the min I'm with meteor pay as you go.
    If I buy an iPhone over there and bring it back here, how do i go about getting it unlocked and sorted so that it works perfectly?
    Please help as I need to know before i head off...
    Thanks guys!!:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Advertisement