Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scrying????

Options
  • 27-05-2009 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

first of all I hope I have the word right (scrying), looking into a mirror and waiting to see if your face changes. Anyway, do you think that this is real or just your mind playing tricks?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

My personal opinion is that its ones mind that causes any change.I remember years ago,a friend and I decided to have a staring contest.He said that before we stopped my face was changing in appearance.I always maintain it was his mind getting bored staring at the same image that caused the changes.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Id imagine its the same visual effect that has us seeing moving statues. Your eyes themselves can create the change you see. But it is a technique that is used in trance mediumship, where the same effect can be seen by more than one person. Jury is still out on what is actually happening though, if you want to find out if its because of a connection to something ghostly, then which comes first, the physical phenomenon provoking the thought, or the thought provoking the phenomenon? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

yeah I know what you mean, it's also like the picture of Jesus that went around years ago, it was a negative image. You were supposed to stare at it for 30 seconds and then look at the wall and you'd see the image. but I'd like to believe that scrying helped you see past lives but I'm kinda thinking that it could be your eyes and brain playing tricks.
    thanks for the replies:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I've done it with groups where 1 person sits in a dark room with candle in front of them. Others sit looking at them and look to see changes in the face. Supposedly you see peoples past faces/lives but I suppose it depends on what you believe.

Scrying can be done in any number of ways from using a mirror, a bowl of water, oiled slate - usually any reflective surface will do (except the top of a bald man's head).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

magenta73 wrote: »
    yeah I know what you mean, it's also like the picture of Jesus that went around years ago, it was a negative image. You were supposed to stare at it for 30 seconds and then look at the wall and you'd see the image.

I remember me and friend used to spook ourselves stupid staring at that ink blot type image of Jesus and lookin away afterwards or closing our eyes. 'JESUS!!!! I CAN SEE JESUS IN MY HEAD!!' :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

someone told me that you can do it looking into a fire or candle flame, does anyone know how that would work:confused:

6th wrote: »
    I've done it with groups where 1 person sits in a dark room with candle in front of them. Others sit looking at them and look to see changes in the face. Supposedly you see peoples past faces/lives but I suppose it depends on what you believe.
    someone told me that you can do it looking into a fire or candle flame, does anyone know how that would work:confused:

If you're doing it on your own then you need a mirror and the candle between you and the mirror - not blocking your face though :D

Scrying (also called crystal gazing, crystal seeing, seeing, or peeping) is a magic practice that involves seeing things psychically in a medium, usually for purposes of obtaining spiritual visions and more rarely for purposes of divination or fortune-telling. The media used are most commonly reflective, translucent, or luminescent substances such as crystals, stones, glass, mirrors, water, fire, or smoke. Scrying has been used in many cultures as a means of divining the past, present, or future. Depending on the culture and practice, the visions that come when one stares into the media are thought to come from God, spirits, the psychic mind, the devil, or the subconscious.

Although scrying is most commonly done with a crystal ball, it may also be performed using any smooth surface, such as a bowl of liquid, a pond, a crystal, or, as expert scryers can[citation needed], a thumbnail. Scrying is actively used by many cultures and belief systems and is not limited to one tradition or ideology. However, like other aspects of divination and parapsychology, it is not supported by mainstream science as a method of predicting the future or otherwise seeing events that are not physically observable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

first of all I hope I have the word right (scrying), looking into a mirror and waiting to see if your face changes. Anyway, do you think that this is real or just your mind playing tricks?:confused:

Isnt it scrying that they do n Harry Potter ? The bearded fella Dumbledore has this stone basin yoke inside his office (a pensieve?) that he can look into.All of his memories are stored in it. And there was that 'Mirror of Erised' or somethin in the second book/movie where Harry stares into it and sees exactly what he wants to see after a bit. If only Daniel Radcliffe could take a look into it now and then and see 'great actor'. :p :rolleyes: Still,cant wait for the Half Blood Prince 2 come out this summer. :) I mean, I know Harry Potter is only fiction and that srying business n it isnt to be taken too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Lone Kimono

I dont believe it myself, I have read bits about it. I would say most people that try it and see changes are only seeing these changes because thats what they are looking out for. Its in the mind I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

In Russian tradition there is a way of fortune telling with 2 mirrors and a candle. You were supposed to place the mirrors one oposite another, position yourself in between them with a lit candle in front of you and stare into the endless corridor of reflections. That's how you were supposed to see your future.

Advertisement