Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*Help* Is there a problem with my cars Gearbox??

Options
  • 26-05-2009 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I recently bought a Nissan Almera from a car dealer, Ive had it about 2 months now & ive noticed a problem with the gearbox when i put it in reverse, When i clutch in & put the gearbox into reverse it makes a loud crunching noise like it would do when you dont get the clutch fully in, This only happens when put in reverse, What could be the cause of this problem?, The car is still under warranty so i will be bringing back to the dealer this week, Im just wondering if its a big problem or not, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Is it only when you're changing from 1st or 2nd to reverse? If so, maybe you aint waitin for your revs to go fully down. Does it happen when the car is completely idle and you put it in reverse?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

had this happen on an Almera before, putting it into neutral, letting the clutch up, then down and select reverse cured it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Customize

Cheers for the quick reply lads, To answer your question, This only occurs when say the car is parked idle, I go to reverse, I change from neutral into Reverse & by doing so there is a loud crunching noise, Ive drove other cars in the past & it never made that noise so i was a bit concerned when i heard it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Before putting it into reverse, throw it into first then back out into reverse and see does it still make the crunching sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 arsenalia

hi guys just a quick ask here do any one know what should be put in the white bottle on the top right hand side of my rover 200 engine? could it be water? i have attached an example of what i'm talking about :)

ROVER 200.jpg

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/DAVIDA%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Water. Really should also add antifreeze, but if you just beed 1/2 pint or so then water alone will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Customize wrote: »
    I recently bought a Nissan Almera from a car dealer, Ive had it about 2 months now & ive noticed a problem with the gearbox when i put it in reverse, When i clutch in & put the gearbox into reverse it makes a loud crunching noise like it would do when you dont get the clutch fully in, This only happens when put in reverse, What could be the cause of this problem?, The car is still under warranty so i will be bringing back to the dealer this week, Im just wondering if its a big problem or not, Thanks

Does the clutch bite very low? Could just be a bit of drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It looks like the clutch is dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 arsenalia

Thanks 4 reply s Guru but my question is this .. the liquid inside the bottle is v v low.. almost nothing inside, car appears normal and a mechanic said i should pour water into it.. if i did pour water without the antifreeze will there be any harm? and also by how much should i mix the antifreeze with the water if i was going to add it ..
    and what did u mean by your last sentence
    >>
    'but if you just beed 1/2 pint or so then water alone will be grand'.
    Thanks for help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

This thread is a couple of years old..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement