Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Adams

Options
  • 26-05-2009 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

why do i like it?
    because its a nice beer?
    because it reminds me of good times? i actually get the taste of american pub fries and burgers when i drink it....mmm....fries.:)

only noticed it in local supervalue last week, its actually a decent beer.
    worth trying for a change, think it was under €11 for a six pack.
    tesco might have it too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Theres two kinds of Sam Addams. There's the Boston Lager that has a blue label and is very tasty (quite different to the usual mind).
    There's also a green label one which I have yet to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I remember visiting the states thinking that all local pubs there would serve something with the word "Lite" in the title. I then saw Samuel Adams, and ordered a bottle. Nice.

I then discovered that a lot of pubs serve locally produced ale and stout, thus blowing my notion that all American beer tasted of nothing straight out of the water. The states has many many wonderful beers, and the pubs aren't afraid to sell them. Ireland could learn a few lessons in that regard.

The Sam Adams Black lager is another great beer. Some of the range can be weak, but they do a damn fine job of producing and marketing niche beer types that might otherwise not get a tasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭kindalen

am at present enjoying a blue label boston lager.
    indeed micro brewing and niche beers are big in the states,would love to see it take off here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

There's loads of Sam Adams
    Boston Lager being the most easily acquired here (definately in tesco and superquin)
    Boston Ale
    Summer Ale
    Cream Stout
    Black Lager
    Double Bok

those are the ones I've got my hands on over here and they have about double that many varients in the US - I like them alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

mayordenis wrote: »
    There's loads of Sam Adams
    Boston Lager being the most easily acquired here (definately in tesco and superquin)
    Boston Ale
    Summer Ale
    Cream Stout
    Black Lager
    Double Bok

those are the ones I've got my hands on over here and they have about double that many varients in the US - I like them alot.

Honey porter, oktoberfest, Holiday porter, triple bock and Utopias are also available over here but a little harder to find

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

kindalen wrote: »
    would love to see it take off here.
    The way to do that is drink microbrewed Irish beer -- the industry won't grow if drinkers don't actually buy the beer. There's a list of pubs that stock it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

McHughes offlicence regularly stocks them with the seasonal ones being available in small quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

American beers represent the very worst and the very best of beers. That they can find a market for Budweiser, Miller etc. and Sam Adams, Anchor Steam, Liberty etc. is a true demonstration of the diversity of the country, its people and their tastes.

Be careful about getting a taste for Sam Adams however...once you do there is no going back to the blander european or American beers. I was once in a restaurant in American who were 'all out' of Sam and offered me a Carlsberg instead. I chose a sparkling water....

Occasionally Tesco and O'Briens do promotional prices of around €8.99 for a six pack of Sam. Keep an eye out for Brooklyn lager also.

If you want a trip to American micro brewry wonderland, take a visit to Redmonds in Ranelagh. Bring your (or preferably someone else's) credit card though.....you've got to pay for your pleasures.

By the way, someone mentioned Utopia....has anyone tried it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

oblivious wrote: »
    Honey porter, oktoberfest, Holiday porter, triple bock and Utopias are also available over here but a little harder to find

Winter Lager, Honey Porter, Boston Ale, Boston Lager and Pale Ale (I think) available in Redmonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Has anyone else noticed Sam Adams gushing on opening sometimes? It's been a while since I had one, but I went through a phase of getting the occasional six pack and even when the beer had been sitting in the fridge for days it often gushed quite a bit on opening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Has anyone else noticed Sam Adams gushing on opening sometimes? It's been a while since I had one, but I went through a phase of getting the occasional six pack and even when the beer had been sitting in the fridge for days it often gushed quite a bit on opening.

possibly over chilling? never an issue for me tbh - and it's one of the first decent beers I drank many a year ago - I'm on my third of the night now actually - mighty stuff even if it's not a wanky trappist - it's just a nice price conscious well balanced american lager - sessionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Gonna have to pick up a six pack this weekend now... Got a goo on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Winter Lager, Honey Porter, Boston Ale, Boston Lager and Pale Ale (I think) available in Redmonds.

Their Black Lager is a gem of a beer if you ever get a hold of some. Redmond's should have it as well when in season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Their Black Lager is a gem of a beer if you ever get a hold of some. Redmond's should have it as well when in season.

An I think its on special 9 euro for a 6 pack

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I love their white beer. I've only ever had it in Boston or NY though. Is it available here? I think it's only available on draught so probably not.

got some of the summer and black label beer to try.... roll on this evening.

summer ale was just right for the weather we had today. class beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

The supervalu I work in started getting in Sam Adams(Boston Lager) and Brooklyn Lager, heard that they were supposed to be nice so I gave them a try, never tasted anything so foul in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

GDM wrote: »
    The supervalu I work in started getting in Sam Adams(Boston Lager) and Brooklyn Lager, heard that they were supposed to be nice so I gave them a try, never tasted anything so foul in my life.

I had the same experience, that one was shoved aside and tasted again later but hadn't improved at all. Guess it doesn't agree with me, thankfully I've never had to get the taste of weed and hooker spit out of my mouth at 9.30 in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hamndegger wrote: »

The Black Lager is one fo my favourite drinks.

It's aftertaste is a little on the weak side though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Really don't like Sam Adams, tried it once before and found its rather rustic alternative flavour not very appealing. Very different to conventional European style lagers, and not in a good way IMO. Perhaps i'm being a tad unfair to the brew, maybe its time to sample it again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

grenache wrote: »
    tried it once before and found its rather rustic alternative flavour not very appealing. Very different to conventional European style lagers
    It's based on Vienna lager, which went out of fashion in the 1850s when pilsner began to take over as the world's favourite beer style.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

GDM wrote: »
    Sam Adams(Boston Lager) and Brooklyn Lager, heard that they were supposed to be nice so I gave them a try, never tasted anything so foul in my life.

I take it you do not like hops then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

kindalen wrote: »
    summer ale was just right for the weather we had today. class beer.

Where did you buy that?

O'Brien's seemed to be doing the seasonal brews a year or two ago but now they seem to have given up on it. They had the Black Lager a few weeks ago but now it's just Boston lager again.

Advertisement